Keep Safety Pins Handy

As a child I wondered why, on laundry day, mom had a chain of safety pins around her neck. She just said they were mother's jewelry. I have since learned that the pins were removed from assorted items until laundry was dry, and she would re-pin them. This was done so the wringer of the washing machine would not bend, or otherwise damage, the pins.

Granted wringer washers are not used now, usually, but I have learned to keep a couple large pins attached to the cell phone/ID case I wear around my neck. The most recent uses were to pin the back part of granddaughter's dress, so it would not fall off her shoulders, and to pin up one leg of a pair of jeans for a friend. He usually wears a prosthesis, but not on that particular day. He asked me to pin up the leg of the jeans so it would not drag on the ground.

I always have a couple pins with me, just in case.

By knitter926 from Bloomington, IL

You remind me of my mom, my sister, too. Thanks for the idea.

I never go anywhere without safety pins and I have helped avert many 'emergencies', lol. I always keep three hanging from the hole in the zipper of my purse, one attached to the next. Your tip is a very smart one!

Laundry Tips and Tricks, Dirty Laundry in a White Basket
Laundry Tips and Tricks
Organizing MiscellaneousAugust 30, 2010
A person adding soap to a washing machine full of clothes.
Preparing Clothing for Washing
safety pin on purple background
Safety Pin and Bead Craft Projects
A laundry hamper of filled with jeans.
Washing Jeans
A woman wearing a bike helmet.
Teaching Bike Safety
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 18, 2017 at 4:32:09 PM on 10.0.2.161 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.