MoldCleaning

Painting Moldy Basement Walls

Do I need to remove mold from basement walls before repainting? What kind of paint should I use?

By Denise H from Kennewick, WA

Ask at your home improvment store. I do know that mold will come through paint. I don't know if that Kilz brand will get rid of it, or just prevent it from appearing.

The EPA has an excellent publication called "A Brief Guide to Mold, Moisture, and Your Home." Note that the source of the mold needs to be removed before tackling the mold itself:

http://www.epa.  d/moldguide.html

Absolutely, You have to remove all mold, otherwise it will grow through the new paint. Because moisture can permeate concrete walls you don't want to use a paint that will blister and peel from the moisture over time. When I painted my cellar walls a few years ago I used a white water bloc paint I bought at Home Depot. Cost was about $25 per gallon. It has held up with no problems for about 4 years now.

I had to use bleach with water to clean off the mold, wash the walls let a fan dry it completely, then I used a paint like can of Kilz, it helped for the season but when spring came around again, I had to do that all over until I had to call Everdry a company that fixes that. Be careful tho cause mold does cause health problems, and if you wash walls with bleach make sure windows are open, and you don't inhale too much of the bleach smell. Good luck.