How Long Does a Cats First Heat Last?

One of my cats (an almost one-year old kitten) appears to be in heat for the first time. How long does this usually last, and can I have her spayed as soon as it's over?

Bonnie from Tuckerton, NJ

Well, your fur baby can be in a standing heat until she is bred. She can be spay now, but it will cost you extra money. Please do it as soon as possible and don't let her go outside. A male can smell her for up to 2 miles away. Good luck.

Actually kittens can start to reproduce at 4 months old my vet told me. They can be in and out of heat within 10 to 15 days. Different times for different cats. Just like humans ovulating, not everyone does this at the same time either.

I would think you could have her spayed anytime you want to and it wouldn't matter if she was in heat or not.

God bless ya and good luck!

Hate to tell you this, but it will last a couple of weeks, or will end when she is bred. She will keep coming into heat every couple of weeks thereafter, until she is bred....Check with your local Humane Society about inexpensive spaying. I had our cat done for $35. They usually spay and neuter one day a week. We had to pay in advance, and they had no refund if you couldn't catch the cat the next day. Good luck.

Spay her now!

Yes, please get her spayed ASAP.

My experience with cats is that they may stay in heat or go out of heat for a short time,but they will come back into heat unless they are spayed or get pregnant (if she gets out even once while in heat you will be having kittens). It will be worth whatever it costs to have her spayed. I remember the yowling!

Pets CatsAugust 14, 2007
An orange cat in heat.
How Often Can a Cat be in Heat?
dried spices
How Long Do Dried Herbs and Spices Last?
woman wearing nylons
Making Nylons Last Longer
Watering Flowers
Helping Your Garden Beat The Heat