CarpetHome Improvement

Should I Put Area Rugs on Carpet?

We recently moved. The carpet was put in last summer and was kept good care of. You can't even see where the furniture sat. No traffic path or anything. I want to keep it in good shape too, I know it was never shampooed. My question is.. is it OK to put a 5x7 area rug in the center of the room

A friend said she heard it wasn't a good to put rug on top of rug. I did notice the carpet at the old place was discolored where the rug was in the center. I don't know if it was normal wear considering it was older carpet (but I vacuumed often and shampooed once a year) or if it was from the top large area rug. Any ideas?

Thanks
Ariela from Jax FL

I would strongly suggest putting down rugs near the entry ways and major walk areas as that is the high traffic areas that 'crush' the carpet down and grind in the dirt.

But vacuuming and shampooing will also do a world of good if done weekly or bi-weekly

~Dawn

http://www.frug … ife.blogspot.com

I had carpeting in my last house and I put a large braided rug down in the center of the very large family room to place my furniture grouping around. I liked the way it looked and I never changed it out. When we decided to sell the house I and got new carpeting for the room I realized that the braided rug had mashed down the carpet fibers and there was wear all around the braided rug but the spot under the braided rug was still like brand new. So, that is something to consider when using area rugs on top of carpet. Also, my braided rug did not have any type of rubber backing on it; rubber backing would cause the rug to shift around. One thing I would like to mention is that area rugs of any kind can trip some people. I have arthritis in my knees and don't lift my feet as high as most people, therefore I am always tripping. That would be something to consider if you have any elderly family members that may have an accident and trip and fall.