Removing Dirt Stains from Rugs and Carpet

Category Carpet
Cleaning Carpet
Dirt or soil stains on your rugs or carpet can sometimes be difficult to remove. This is a guide about removing dirt stains from rugs and carpet.

I recently had a party whilst my parents were away. They've returned to find huge dirt stains on my newly laid cream carpet. I don't know much about the carpet, do you know any home remedies to get the dirt out?

Alicia from NSW, AUS

Yes. Call a steam cleaning company, and pay for having the service. Do not let them use any chemicals- just plain steam. They will argue. But since the carpet is newly laid, the chemicals will ruin it. And then, you should be responsible for putting down new carpet.

When I have a spot on the carpet, I put a little liquid dish soap (NOT dish washer) and some white vinegar in a dish, use a brush and go over the spot. Works wonders.

I f it is just dirt, and not grease or oil or foodstains, you should be able to rent a carpet cleaner and do this job yourself. I am assuming that you have such rentals, as we have them in Canada. If the dirt stains are fresh, you shouldn't have that much difficulty removing them. I suppose if you have dirt that has a high iron content (red soil) it might require some special spot treating, but I suspect that regular carpet cleaning will do it.

If you have a steam cleaner, it will likely do the job.

There should be no need to replace the carpet. Dirt should wash out with the steam cleaner. Just don't do as a previous person did in a earlier post and flood the place with the garden hose.

I'm assuming you know this, but before you try any cleaning product on carpet stains/spots. Vacuum the spots really well first. Often times, I have had good luck removing dirt stains with plain water!

Try baking soda.

I have a stain on my rug from a flower pot that leaked, so the brown from the flower pot stained it. I have tried everything.

By Irene from Topeka, KS

I had the same thing happen. I have a hand held steam cleaner and it works wonders! I simply sprayed 409 on the spot then sprayed the steam on it till the spot was all gone. I had to stop a couple of times through and dab (not rub) the spot to get up the moisture, but when I got doe the spot was totally gone and the floor was completely dry in about 20 minutes.

I love my hand held steam cleaner though. I use it for all kinds of cleaning. Even used it in my car the other day and now the car looks almost brand new!

I use it all over the house though and it paid for itself (I paid about $60 for it) within the first week.

Mix equal amounts of salt and baking soda then add a bit of vinegar to make a quite stiff paste. Lay on stain and leave it to dry. Vacuum up. I removed really bad plant mud stains from an ivory carpet with this method, it took three applications to bring the carpet back to like new.

How do I get mud and sand out of a cream carpet?

Jenny

I got a new vacuum cleaner last month. It is a Bissel Clearview. I thought it was inexpensive at $68. I was worried if it was going to do a good job. I have always used Electrolux. Anyway, it does a fantastic job. I use it all the time because it is so much fun to see at the dog hair and sand it sucks up. My carpets look like they have been shampooed! I think your rugs would come clean too!

If you are not in the market for a new vacuum cleaner, I would recommend that you vacuum many times before trying to shampoo it out. Good Luck, Karla

How do you remove yellow sand stains from a grey carpet? I have bought a new property and the delivery men trod in some sand. The stains are noticeable on a mid grey carpet. I have so far waited for the stains to dry and have vacuumed them, but they are still there. Can anyone advise?

By De L