Cleaning Throw Rugs

On a whim I thought I'd try to comb my little rug carpets using my pet brushes. One is the "Furminator" pet brush and another just a cheap little wire pet comb/brush. Both worked great!

I placed the rugs outside on a flat surface and just combed it. Lots of hair I didn't even see came out and the rug's nap came up nicely too! I didn't pull out any rug fiber either!

I never thought to do before, but will definitely do again!

More Solutions

I found out by accident the best way to clean my old throw rugs. I washed them and hung them on the clothesline outside. Then it rained, and rained and rained. To my surprise, they were cleaner then when I first hung them out.

6 Questions

I have washed bathroom rugs in my washer, but I am scared to dry them in dryer. Is it safe to dry it in dryer? It takes days together to dry completely if dried in the sun.

I really need some help. Does anyone know about this?

Answers

By Paulette (Guest Post)

If the mat has a rubber backing, I wash it in the washer in my first load. I lay it on top of the dryer while all loads are drying, and find it dries very well. Lay it rubber side up, as the coating can get brittle and flake if it gets too much heat.

By Mom (Guest Post)

I always dry mine in the dryer on low. However they should have a label telling you how to wash and dry. If they say no dryer than I wouldn't.

By Tawnda (Guest Post)

I wash mine in washer and then hang on door of laundry room or on shower curtain in laundry room. Heat from dryer drying other loads helps.

I have a wooden clothes drying rack for things like rugs and other items that can't be dryer dried. When the weather is not good for line drying, the items go on the rack. They'll be dried by the next morning. I don't like drying rugs in my dryer. It breaks down the backing too much. Hope this helps.

By MELISA (Guest Post)

Help I dried a rubber backed rug in my 1 day old brand new Whirlpool dryer. There are rubber crumbs down inside where the lint trap goes. Should I vaccum it out ? How can I tell if the crumbs went anywhere else?

I have dried them in the dryer but the back of them does deteriorate after several dryings. Now I just hang them in the laundry room over the top of the washer

Answer this Question

Can a 6x8 foot throw rug go in a front load washer?

By Becki

Answers

That isn't a throw rug, it is an area rug. I really don't think it will fit, because of the nature of the rug. What I would do is get some of that foam type rug cleaner and clean it with that.

I have a crochet rag rug that I made and it is 6 ft by 8 ft. I believe I could get my rug in a very large commercial front load machine ... at least I sure hope so. It will be needing to be cleaned soon, but I don't think a firm backed area rug would work in the big washers.

Answer this Question

How do I clean the white on a small rug? The dirt is from normal walking on it.

By jean from Vancouver, BC

Answers

Use shaving cream and a scrub brush to do spot cleaning.

Answer this Question

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how I can clean a throw rug so the rubber backing doesn't come off?

Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceJune 7, 2013
🎉
🎄
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Cleaning-Throw-Rugs-1.html