Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Homemade Carpet Shampoo Recipes

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Someone using a carpet cleaner.

Cleaning your carpets will keep them looking nice. Carpet cleaning services and even store bought shampoos can be quite expensive. You can save money by making your own carpet shampoo. This page contains homemade carpet shampoo recipes.

Solutions: Homemade Carpet Shampoo Recipes

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Don't Risk Damage To Your Carpets With Homemade Cleaners

While I love all the homemade recipes and ideas here on Thrifty Fun, this one I have to chime in on. I have been in the floor covering industry for 18 years now. In my honest opinion, there is no such thing as a homemade carpet shampoo recipe that will actually work.

Homemade solutions have too much soap in them and our home machines are not strong enough to remove that from the carpet fibers without leaving residue. Residue will cause the dirt to come back with a vengeance, therefore making you clean your carpet way too much. You'll need new carpet in 2-3 years.

Every carpet yarn manufacturer recommends hot water extraction (steam) cleaning by a professional, with equipment strong enough to get the carpets clean and dry.

Plus, if you ever have a problem with your carpet, the manufacturer will NOT warranty any carpet that has been improperly cleaned. Be careful!

By Concerned from Springfield, MO

Tip: Mean Green and Vinegar for Pet Stains

I have been using Mean Green to shampoo my carpets for years. I use about 1/2 cup per gallon of water and it doesn't clog up your pump like pine oil will.

If you have pets, add 1/2 cup vinegar to that to help with pet odors. It is also very good on pet stains. Spray full strength on the pet stain and absorb all you can; then do it once more.

By Laura B. from Jonesville, LA

Tip: Cleaning Carpets

To clean carpets, I use 1 cup of clorox 2 and 1 cup alcohol then fill the carpet cleaner with hot water.

By

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Homemade Carpet Shampoo Recipes.

Question: Cleaning Carpets Without Chemicals

I have become a big fan of using vinegar and baking soda to spot clean my carpet. It works wonderfully. Can anyone tell me how I can use my carpet cleaner to do the whole room without chemicals?

By Karen

Most Recent Answer

By JaneF [1]05/14/2013

Hi Karen
This this is the solution my husband uses in our carpet cleaning machine.
1/2 cup powdered Tide
4 caps Lysol general cleaner
2 caps Bleach
1/4 cup Mr Clean general cleaner

We have used it for years and works very well.

Question: Carpet Shampoo Recipe

I just bought a new carpet shampooer and need some recipes for good carpet cleaner. I have multiple pets and stains. It is old carpet, very used, when we bought our double wide.

By katznana

Question: Homemade Foaming Carpet Cleaner

I am so done spending $15 for a tiny bottle that doesn't even work very long for my Kirby vacuum. Does anyone know how to make the foaming cleaner, that I could pretreat with and put in the machine? Thanks!

By Kristin

Most Recent Answer

By Chrysalis09/08/2013

Having long been a Kirby fan, I understand your feelings about the shampoo. I use Martha Gardiner's Country Homestead Eucalyptus Woolwash Liquid. It has cleaned old stains that even proffessional cleaners have been unable to shift.

One of the reasons for its great success is that it is a non-rinse product, therefore it doesn't leave any nasties behind. Just rub a little of the undiluted product into the stain first if it's a bad one and then use in the same quantities as your original Kirby product i.e. 3 capsful to each tank of warm water.

Another inexpensive option is to scrub stains with pressure-pack shaving foam. The best specific carpet cleaner I've ever found is Carpet Power. By the way its co-product, Shower Power is fantastic for removing lime and calcium from windows that have been sprayed with hard water from sprinklers and it works just as well - and safely - to remove similar white water marks from car duco. Just a tablespoon or so into a couple of inches of water in the bottom of an ordinary household bucket - slop a sponge into it and wipe off the marks. Rinse as usual and voila! Good luck!

Question: Homemade Carpet Shampoo

What is the portion of water and ammonia to use in the Hoover rug shampooer? Which cleans better ammonia or white vinegar? Thanks very much!

By Carol from Bel Air, MD

Most Recent Answer

By Morella04/23/2011

By the way I have a Cat, so ammonia is out of the question, that would make my cat pee all over the place. LOL

Question: Bissell Powersteamer Recipes

I have a Bissell pro-heat 2x and I need the measures for the borax and vinegar combo to use in the solution tank. The cleaning formula is way to expensive and the carpet seems to attract dirt quicker. Is that because I`ve steamed up the scotch guard? My neighbor has used this site for help and recommends you.

B. Lou from Durham, NC

Question: Carpet Stain Removers

How do you get a dirt stain out of carpet?

Lisa

Most Recent Answer

By Bill (Guest Post)09/10/2007

I find that spot removers for my dog's accidents don't get rinsed properly and the cleaner residue attracts dirt again. Every so often I get out my Hoover carpet cleaner and just use hot water. It is unbelievable how many suds come up from those spots. But over the years I don't think I will be able to get them completely rinsed. I also like the Spot Shot. Follow the directions on the can.

Question: Orange Juice Concentrate on Carpet

One day while rummaging thru my extra freezer in the back of my house. I sat a 12 oz. can of frozen orange juice up on the top of the freezer, forgetting about it. A few days later, I heard a noise. What I found was a partial can of thawed orange juice on top of the freezer, and the rest had run all down the front of my freezer and into my light gray carpet. I was lucky that it didn't explode onto the ceiling area. What a mess though! My question is --- does anyone know what takes orange juice concentrate out of carpet? Many thanks to those who answer!

Terri

Most Recent Answer

By KLS8800 (Guest Post)07/07/2006

I know that when I had pets, and they did their liquid business on the rug..I used ginger ale or club soda. Baking soda may help, too. and oops for the Orange Juice. I have done that...we now store our cans (of frozen juice) in ziplock type bags. Just make sure they close.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Homemade Carpet Shampoo

Do you have an idea for a homemade carpet cleanser for my steam cleaner?

Archive: Homemade Carpet Shampoo

How do you make homemade rug shampoo?

Patty from Upstate, NY

RE: Homemade Carpet Shampoo

Here's some ideas:
  • baking soda and water
  • borax and water
  • vinegar and water
  • lemon kool aid and water (check for colorfastness, this is mostly ascorbic acid)
  • There was an Amway product called loc that was good if they still make it.
(09/28/2006)

By carla bledsoe

Don't Use Soap and Water

Ditto on not using soap in the water. Our carpet has been down for more than 20 years and still looks good. We raised three sons, one dog and 3-4 cats over those years. Plus, there were always lots of teens here after band functions. When we get ready to clean (only every few years). Here's what we do. Vacuum well. Get some 409 or Awesome (highly diluted) or Simple Green. Work about a 3-foot square area at a time. Spray a little of the solution on the space; use a stiff broom or rent a small rotary scrubber and lightly scrub the area. Rinse with the steam cleaner, USING ONLY HOT WATER. Our carpets come so clean and we only have to repeat every few years. (09/28/2006)

By Carolyn

Vinegar and Downy

I use white vinegar and Downy. Works great for me (09/28/2006)

By jodee433

Febreeze and Pets

To the person who warned against using Fabreeze if you have pets, it's an urban myth. More about it here:

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/febreze.asp (09/29/2006)

By Meari

Baby Wipes

For fresh stains I find the best thing to use is baby wipes. Huggies is awesome, but any brand is good as long as they are unscented. It will remove any stain and also set in stains too on carpets and clothes. (09/30/2006)

By Debbie

Try Cheap Shaving Cream

Cheap shaving cream makes an easy carpet shampoo. Vacuum the carpet well before applying. Work on one 3' x 3' area at a time. Squirt some shaving cream on the carpet. Spread it around and work it gently into the carpet with a damp sponge mop. Rinse the mop & wring it out for each section. Allow to dry overnight. Vacuum thoroughly again in the morning. (09/30/2006)

By Amanda

Water and Pine-sol

I have used mean green with water and pine-sol with water and both of them have worked awesome. (09/30/2006)

By GingerOverstreet

Vinegar

Vinegar is my savior for everything. I just used it to shampoo my whole house. I mixed 1 cup in the hot water. You don't have to use just vinegar. It works fine when it is diluted. (01/20/2007)

By Gabriella

Archive: Homemade Carpet Shampoo

How do you make homemade carpet shampoo? I would like to make this shampoo for a Bissell shampooer.

Pat from McKee, Kentucky

RE: Homemade Carpet Shampoo

The last time I rented a steam cleaner I bought a tiny little bottle of the recommended liquid cleanser to put in it, for over $10, and it didn't finish even half of my office floor so I read the ingredients on the bottle, went to the dollar store, read labels on all the cleaning products and found that dishwashing powder has the same active ingredient. Of course it's a dry powder instead of a liquid but I had a small sauce pan and a hot plate in the office so I just poured a cup of dishwashing powder into two cups of boiling water, turned off the heat and let it steep for a half hour before using the liquid in the steam cleaner. I assumed the expensive product was more concentrated and used twice as much of the homemade liquid. It worked just fine. The large box of dishwashing powder cost me $2 and I had plenty left over for the next time. www.don-guitar.com (01/30/2007)

By Don Crowder

RE: Homemade Carpet Shampoo

You people who use soap on your carpets, not only is soap not good for the carpet, because it can usually never be properly rinsed out, but it ATTRACTS more dirt! Dirt will actually stick to the spots you cleaned up with "soap". The best way to clean up any odor, stain, etc from carpet is to mix vinegar with very hot water (30% and 70%). Use a plain white dishcloth to gently run the carpet. I usually put down clean towels over the wet spots until it is dry (so if someone walks on it, it doesn't get dirty). Once it is dry, take the towels off, vacuum and there you have it! Clean, odor free carpet that looks brand new! (06/25/2007)

By Mary

RE: Homemade Carpet Shampoo

Just want to say that I used a little bit of simple green in the water in my machine and then rinsed with hot water and vinegar per instructions above .. I will tell you this is the best solution. My carpet has never looked like this except when it was first installed. I never thought of using vinegar until I read this post. THANKS EVERYONE! (07/28/2007)

By Carrie from MA

RE: Homemade Carpet Shampoo

OK, I'm now convinced that I need to use vinegar and hot water to clean my carpets better than what I have been using (store bought Bissell products). But I'm unsure about the dilution formula. 50-50? 1 cup vinegar, 3 cups hot water? Do I pour the solution into the machine's water bladder which places the water on the carpet or into the shampoo dispenser that is separate? I have a Bissell Pro Heat. I've emailed Bissell for advice but they were of no help. They actually suggested that I get in touch with a "professional cleaner"....geesh! Thanks for your help. (09/09/2007)

By skeeter

RE: Homemade Carpet Shampoo

Does anyone have an idea for homemade DRY carpet shampoo? (09/10/2007)

By Wanda

Archive: Homemade Carpet Shampoo

I'm looking for the best homemade carpet shampoo.

Archive: Homemade Carpet Shampoo

What is the best homemade carpet cleaner to use to clean carpets dirt and pet urine on the carpets?

Archive: Homemade Carpet Shampoo

What is a good homemade recipe for carpet cleaning? I have three bedrooms to clean. Thanks.

Archive: Homemade Carpet Shampoo

I am looking for a homemade recipe for carpet cleaner.

Archive: Homemade Carpet Shampoo

I am looking for a homemade carpet cleaner recipe.

Archive: Homemade Carpet Shampoo

What can you use as an effective homemade rug shampoo?