Browsing: Homemade Carpet Shampoo Recipes

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Homemade Carpet Shampoo Recipes

Cleaning your carpets will keep them looking nice. Carpet cleaning services and even store bought shampoos can be quite expensive. You can save money by making your own carpet shampoo. This page contains homemade carpet shampoo recipes.

Homemade Carpet Shampoo Recipes
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

January 24, 2015 Flag

I have my own carpet cleaning business, and I make my own homemade shampoo. While it is true that too much detergent in a homemade cleaner can be hard to remove, there are ways to make carpet shampoo without detergent. My cleaner is vinegar and astringent based, and I have found there is little it cannot remove. While I tend to agree with the detergent/soap thing (it leaves crunchy carpets and left behind residue can attract dirt) there are ways to make shampoo without having those issues. While I won't say everything in my personal shampoo recipe, combining 1 gallon white vinegar, 1 large bottle of lemon juice, and 1 pint pf witch hazel will make a super effective carpet cleaner that is safe for use in commercial or home shampooers. Also, sprinking baking soda on the carpet before shampooing will remove the worst odors and boost the above mixture's cleaning properties. Below is a before and after photo. I've left a link to my business page if anyone wishes to see more before and after photos

Homemade Carpet Shampoo That WorksHomemade Carpet Shampoo That Works

Link: Www.facebook.com/lenzcarpetshampooing

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 27, 2011 Flag

While I love all the homemade recipes and ideas here on Thrifty Fun, this one I have to chime in on. I have been in the floor covering industry for 18 years now. In my honest opinion, there is no such thing as a homemade carpet shampoo recipe that will actually work.

Homemade solutions have too much soap in them and our home machines are not strong enough to remove that from the carpet fibers without leaving residue. Residue will cause the dirt to come back with a vengeance, therefore making you clean your carpet way too much. You'll need new carpet in 2-3 years.

Every carpet yarn manufacturer recommends hot water extraction (steam) cleaning by a professional, with equipment strong enough to get the carpets clean and dry.

Plus, if you ever have a problem with your carpet, the manufacturer will NOT warranty any carpet that has been improperly cleaned. Be careful!

By Concerned from Springfield, MO

February 26, 2011 Flag

What is the portion of water and ammonia to use in the Hoover rug shampooer? Which cleans better ammonia or white vinegar? Thanks very much!

By Carol from Bel Air, MD

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Best Answer

Clear ammonia has been used by professional cleaners. Do not mix products. Personally I use vinegar--white distilled, in my machine. 1/2 cup to 2 gallons of hot water. If my dog does an accident, I take a gal of hot water and 1/4 cup vinegar, swish and dump on spot. Then use the shampooer within 10 minutes to clean it. I found that I take the 2 gallon container on my shampooer and for rinsing the carpets add 1 ounce of Febreeze or other brand. You can get it in sprayer form or bulk. It makes the whole house smell nice, can't tell we have a dog! If I only need to freshen up the carpet, vacuum first then run shampooer with water only, do not use carpet cleaner detergent. Use the Febreeze.

Read More Answers...

October 8, 2012 Flag

I just bought a new carpet shampooer and need some recipes for good carpet cleaner. I have multiple pets and stains. It is old carpet, very used, when we bought our double wide.

By katznana

Best Answer

I used original Oxyclean with a bit of Dawn Powerclean dish soap on my carpet. I thought " No way the carpets ruined. But to my surprise it cleaned my carpet like new. My doorway to my bedroom was black tracks from my wheelchair. I also used a steamer on the hard spots. I used a Rug Doctor Machine & it worked amazingly.

Read More Answers...

May 8, 2013 Flag

I have become a big fan of using vinegar and baking soda to spot clean my carpet. It works wonderfully. Can anyone tell me how I can use my carpet cleaner to do the whole room without chemicals?

By Karen

Thank you so much for your mixture recipe! Exactly what i was looking for. I do have a questions though. I have to rent a rug doctor type of machine to clean my carpets this time, how much of the solution would I need to use per gallon of hot water? Or would I use straight solution each time I have to fill the bucket? I do have a couple of "pet" spots that I will be pre treating but I want a deep clean all over each room of carpet.

Thank you for your time and attention in advance!!

Read More Answers...

December 27, 2010 Flag

How can you make homemade carpet cleaner for an automatic cleaner machine?

By Gary from High Point, NC

Depending on if it is your machine or a rental. A rental you must use their products. Or if the machine clogs, you are responsible. My own carpet shampooer does not heat the water, so I put the hot water in the tank. My cleaner is not in the clean water but additional trigger sprays that.

Clear non sudsing ammonia is good BUT then be careful what else you add to it. I also like to freshen up the floor with a little vinegar water. My latest FIND is buying Febreeze in bulk or one that you can refill. Take and pour into the tank of water about 1 TB of it. Then rinse the carpets. Fresh smelling. Do not spray it on the carpets, then it gets gummy.

Do not use anything that creates a suds action. That takes forever to get out of the carpet.

Read More Answers...

October 17, 2011 Flag

I have been using Mean Green to shampoo my carpets for years. I use about 1/2 cup per gallon of water and it doesn't clog up your pump like pine oil will.

If you have pets, add 1/2 cup vinegar to that to help with pet odors. It is also very good on pet stains. Spray full strength on the pet stain and absorb all you can; then do it once more.

By Laura B. from Jonesville, LA

September 24, 2012 Flag

I am so done spending $15 for a tiny bottle that doesn't even work very long for my Kirby vacuum. Does anyone know how to make the foaming cleaner, that I could pretreat with and put in the machine? Thanks!

By Kristin

Having long been a Kirby fan, I understand your feelings about the shampoo. I use Martha Gardiner's Country Homestead Eucalyptus Woolwash Liquid. It has cleaned old stains that even proffessional cleaners have been unable to shift.

One of the reasons for its great success is that it is a non-rinse product, therefore it doesn't leave any nasties behind. Just rub a little of the undiluted product into the stain first if it's a bad one and then use in the same quantities as your original Kirby product i.e. 3 capsful to each tank of warm water.

Another inexpensive option is to scrub stains with pressure-pack shaving foam. The best specific carpet cleaner I've ever found is Carpet Power. By the way its co-product, Shower Power is fantastic for removing lime and calcium from windows that have been sprayed with hard water from sprinklers and it works just as well - and safely - to remove similar white water marks from car duco. Just a tablespoon or so into a couple of inches of water in the bottom of an ordinary household bucket - slop a sponge into it and wipe off the marks. Rinse as usual and voila! Good luck!

April 30, 2008 Flag

I have a Bissell pro-heat 2x and I need the measures for the borax and vinegar combo to use in the solution tank. The cleaning formula is way too expensive and the carpet seems to attract dirt quicker. Is that because I've steamed up the Scotch Guard? My neighbor has used this site for help and recommends you.

B. Lou from Durham, NC

Actually Bissell cleaners are equipped with Scotchgard, and it keeps your warranty on Scotchguarded carpets in tact!

July 25, 2007 Flag

How do you get a dirt stain out of carpet?

Lisa

I find that spot removers for my dog's accidents don't get rinsed properly and the cleaner residue attracts dirt again. Every so often I get out my Hoover carpet cleaner and just use hot water. It is unbelievable how many suds come up from those spots. But over the years I don't think I will be able to get them completely rinsed. I also like the Spot Shot. Follow the directions on the can.

February 26, 2011 Flag

I am looking for a recipe for homemade carpet cleaner. Thank you.

By raaschmn from St Paul, MN

Answers:

Homemade Carpet Shampoo

I use plain vinegar and water. I add a drop or two of liquid dish soap. The soap doesn't sop the carpet and the vinegar takes out all odors. (12/06/2010)

By HalfWhit

December 3, 2010 Flag

What's a good do-it-yourself carpet cleaner using at-home products? I don't want to use chemicals. Thanks.

By Peta

Answers:

Homemade Carpet Shampoo

Tips and Warnings:

Don't douse a small area with foam, try to spread it evenly in order to cover more area.
    Always test a small inconspicuous area of your carpet with this or any carpet cleaner/shampoo in order to make sure it won't mess up the color of your carpet.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4719411_own-carpet-shampoo.html (10/26/2010)

By MCW

Homemade Carpet Shampoo

The guy from the place I bought my carpets told me to use white vinegar and water half and half and a scrubbing brush. You may have to go down on your knees and scrub them, but I have been using this method for many years, even on expensive Persian carpets with no problems. I leave them outside to dry in the sun, you would have to do this in the summer, I assume, and the smell disappears plus my carpets are clean and deodorised. This would only work with small and medium sized carpets. (10/29/2010)

By cett

October 26, 2010 Flag

What can you use as an effective homemade rug shampoo?

By Wendy from Schenectady, NY

Answers:

Test an area in the corner first. Pre-treat any "bad" areas with Dawn dish liquid. Mix a solution of 2 gallons warm water; 1 tsp Dawn and 2 TBS baking soda. Run through carpet scrubber; rinse with clean water (through carpet scrubber), let dry. (07/29/2010)

By bkvander

Once, when a friend had to get her carpets clean but was on a very limited budget and it was all she could do to rent the cleaner, I made a solution of laundry powder in hot water, and strained it so the little undissolved pieces weren't a problem. We used one or two cups of that in the container full of hot water from the cleaner. It worked great.

The more concentrated solution was for the few spots we had to get out. I wouldn't use it very concentrated; like a cup to a gallon size pot of hot water, strain it, and then it gets diluted again when it's poured into the container in the machine. Just the normal hot water from the faucet, and don't shake or swirl it. I don't recall the brand of soap/detergent. Maybe like Arm and Hammer.

I wouldn't recommend this all the time, but hey. (07/29/2010)

By PIKKA

Try dissolving 1/4 c oxi-clean and warm water to fill tank, pour into tank when dissolved and shampoo as normal. (08/13/2010)

By mecowan

February 27, 2010 Flag

I am looking for a homemade carpet cleaner recipe.

By Georgiana from PA

Answers:

Homemade Carpet Shampoo

An inexpensive alternative to the store-bought variety. To check for color-fastness: test a bit of cleaner on an inconspicuous area of the carpet before using the first time. Makes 1 gallon.

Ingredients

• 1/4 cup lemon-scented ammonia
    • 1/4 cup white vinegar
    • 3 teaspoons clear dish washing soap (non-moisturizer)
    • hot water

Directions

Add the first 2 ingredients into a large gallon-sized container. (I mix my directly in steam cleaner applicator).
    Add water; enough to equal just shy of one gallon. Add dish liquid at the end. Shake or stir.
    Follow steam-cleaner manufacturer's directions for operating instructions.

I use this recipe all the time, not only on rugs, but furniture, too. If I have any left over, I put it in a spray bottle and use it as a general cleaner. (02/01/2010)

By dlginlove

December 19, 2009 Flag

I am looking for a homemade recipe for carpet cleaner.

May 26, 2009 Flag

What is a good homemade recipe for carpet cleaning? I have three bedrooms to clean. Thanks.

May 6, 2009 Flag

What is the best homemade carpet cleaner to use to clean carpets dirt and pet urine on the carpets?

April 7, 2008 Flag

I'm looking for the best homemade carpet shampoo.

September 11, 2007 Flag

How do you make homemade carpet shampoo? I would like to make this shampoo for a Bissell shampooer.

January 30, 2007 Flag

How do you make homemade rug shampoo?

September 26, 2006 Flag

Do you have an idea for a homemade carpet cleanser for my steam cleaner?

Home and Garden Cleaning Cleaning Supply Recipes Carpet RecipesFebruary 18, 2016
    A package of cornmeal.
    Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
    Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet, Upclose photo of carpet.
    Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet
    Dry Dog Shampoo Recipes
    Dry Dog Shampoo Recipes
    A dog after a bath.
    Homemade Dog Shampoo Recipes
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 26, 2016 at 5:04:00 AM on 10.0.1.168 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.