Homemade Carpet Cleaner for an Electric Shampooer

How can you make homemade carpet cleaner for an automatic cleaner machine?

By Gary from High Point, NC

Best Answer

Hello, I have a steam machine and I always try to avoid buying the cleaner that seems so costly to me so I use my laundry soap. I do use way less than I use for laundry, and it works well for me. Liquid detergent is much better than powder, if I use powder I mix it with hot water and pour it through a fine mesh strainer. I prefer Tide brand for it's cleaning power, but I imagine your normal soap would work. Note: Like always test a small area first to be sure you aren't going to ruin your carpets. but I have always used this. I do not know if this is hard on the machine or not, But I really don't use enough to make the carpet or machine sudsy.

Best Answer

I used to have terrible pet stains on my carpet with the accompanying smells. I used very hot water, a cap full of vinegar & some Oxyclean. I didn't strain & my carpet cleaner was used hard. I"d recommend straining for good measure. I did a Google search for the vinegar idea & just beefed it up with Oxyclean.

I also used plain hot water then poured soda water (2-liter bottles ) directly on the carpet. But the carpet was already ruined (sickly dog & an older dog) so I tried a lot of things to get rid of the smell. It's best to use enzyme cleaner on pet stains instead of spreading the urine with a carpet cleaner. Mine were too far gone. I lost the dogs & got new floors.

Good luck.

Best Answer

When my husband knocked over a paint can on the carpet and got paint on it, I did what my former landlord did. When someone would move out of his rentals, he would put like one part Purple Power to 3 parts water in his shampooer to clean his carpets and it works great! We got out all the paint and can't even see where it spilled. I used the shampoo cup to measure it and what I did was put one cup of Purple Power and just finished filling the tank with water.

Anonymous

What is purple power never heard of it

Best Answer

Depending on if it is your machine or a rental. A rental you must use their products. Or if the machine clogs, you are responsible. My own carpet shampooer does not heat the water, so I put the hot water in the tank. My cleaner is not in the clean water but additional trigger sprays that.

Clear non sudsing ammonia is good BUT then be careful what else you add to it. I also like to freshen up the floor with a little vinegar water. My latest FIND is buying Febreeze in bulk or one that you can refill. Take and pour into the tank of water about 1 TB of it. Then rinse the carpets. Fresh smelling. Do not spray it on the carpets, then it gets gummy.

Do not use anything that creates a suds action. That takes forever to get out of the carpet.