Keeping Birds from Eating Cherries

What can I use to keep birds from eating my cherries before I have a chance to taste them. I tried pie plates, flags, etc. (anything shines). Even me standing on the ladder in the middle of branches they come to have their meal. And I look like a scarecrow, mind you. I know you'll have an answer to this problem. I notice other people are having the same trouble with cherry trees.

Old Mike from Mercier, Qc. Canada

You can buy large nets to put over the tree. If the tree is large, you can just drape it over the top. The birds are fearful of the netting (getting caught in it) and will avoid the tree--or at least the part with netting. If your garden store doesn't have it, look at a store that has koi pond products. (The netting is also used to keep leaves and herons out of ponds.)

Without money to spend on nets, I decided to go lo-tech. I borrowed some stuffed animals from my kids (anything with eyes) and hung them in various branches of my cherry trees. It was amazingly effective. I highly suggest any cat-like stuffed animals (I had a stuffed tiger and the birds sounded their alarm chirp when I perched it on top of the ladder). Another specific thing that might have helped was a motion sensor "snore bear" that makes yawning and snoring sounds when disturbed. This year, I got to pick berries for a week (and counting) compared to the one day of lame picking last year.

Bird on a branch with red cherries
Keeping Birds from Eating Cherries
Home and Garden Pest Control BirdsAugust 14, 2008
Bored Kid at a Restaurant
Keep Children Entertained When Eating Out
Cordial Cherry
Recipes Using Cordial Cherries
A bunch of cherries still on the tree.
Using Up Your Cherry Harvest
Frozen cherries.
Freezing Cherries
🎄