Protecting Fruit Trees From Birds

Category Birds
While you may enjoy having birds visit your garden, perhaps you draw the line when they feast on your fruit trees. This is a page about protecting fruit trees from birds.

Hubby and I made this frame out of 2 inch plastic irrigation piping attached to metal 'star' pickets. This size pipe fits snuggly on to the ends of the pickets, sliding easily over.

This made attaching and removing the netting over our cherry tree much easier. Thanks to the net, we enjoyed a full harvest of sweet cherries this year.

If we don't net our cherry tree we don't get any fruit at all. The blackbirds eat every single one!

By Scarecrow from South Australia

I have 2 apricot trees that I started from seed. They are now over 7 feet tall, after only 5 years. When they start to bloom, I hang old CDs from a string on the branches.

The birds don't like the reflections, especially if there is a breeze to move them around.

I loved birds but they can eat faster than our chickens. They swarm on our feeds by batches, and peck on our fruit bearing trees. A scarecrow is nothing to them, an idea came when I placed tiny stones on empty pet bottles, tried hanging them on a clothesline connecting to our house. So whenever I see birds overcrowding on chicken feeds, I'll just pull the rope to shoo them away.

By Fe N. EvangelioPhilippines

How do you keep birds out of fruit trees?

By Sarah from MS

Answers

This is something I read in a novel, but sounds good to me: put small radio or cd in tree and play music of your choice. If the birds like it, change the tunes. Could also put in gardens for veg'y thieves.

Another idea, take toy stuffed animal(s) & hang with small bungee cord or elastic string so that it will bounce in the wind or when birds land. These might work for other critters that snack on the fruit, like deer.

This page is about keeping birds from eating cherries. A ripening cherry tree is very attractive to birds.

Bird on a branch with red cherries

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

A flock of birds could easily decimate the harvest from your fig tree. This is a page about keeping birds from eating figs.

Figs on Tree

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Home and Garden Pest Control BirdsJanuary 25, 2013
😷
😎
🌻
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Protecting-Fruit-Trees-From-Birds.html