Keep Birds Out of the Garden

Category Birds
This is a page about keep birds out of the garden. Some birds can cause major damage in your vegetable garden and need to be deterred.

I love growing my summer garden in large containers. It's much easier to control the soil quality, fertilizer, and water. I keep them near my back door for easy reach from the kitchen. My only problem is that birds will not leave them alone. One perfect beautiful tomato after another pecked to pieces.

My solution? I cut strips of low cost (I bought at my local Dollar Tree) silver metallic gift wrap and tied them to to the wooden tee pees that support the tomatoes. The birds seem frightened by them waving brightly in the sun. They have left the whole garden alone ever since.

By amy from MS Delta

This tip doubles as many things. Decoration as well as scarecrow. Take those DVD/CDs you were planning on tossing aside for whatever reason.

I used a soldering iron, melted a hole in the edge of the DVD/CD.

If you don't want birds in your garden, especially if you have fruit trees, CDs can provide a bright flash that many birds avoid. Using CDs to keep birds out of your garden is a common and effective practice.

CDs Hanging on Clothesline to Keep Birds Out of Garden

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a page about protecting fruit trees from birds. While you may enjoy having birds visit your garden, perhaps you draw the line when they feast on your fruit trees.

Protecting Fruit Trees From Birds

What can I do to keep the birds out of my tomato and onion garden?

By Tracy from CG, AZ

Answers:

Keeping Birds Out of the Garden

Netting is about the best you can do. (03/22/2010)

By LARRY FLUITT

Keeping Birds Out of the Garden

If you have any old computer CDs you can string them along a piece of string and when they twirl in the sunlight it scares off the birds. My mom used this in her garden and it worked. (03/24/2010)

By AvaElizabeth

When I set young tomatoes plants out birds clip them off at the ground. Is there anything I can do to stop this? I've tried pie pans and blow-up snakes.

By Timmy Miller from Morgantown, KY

Answers:

Keeping Birds Out of the Garden

You could put cages around them and cover the cages with something like nylon net. Around here we use frost cloth to keep (obviously) frost off, but it's light weight enough to leave on until the weather is really hot and by then the plants should be big enough to not interest the birds. (05/06/2009)

By Judi

Keeping Birds Out of the Garden

If this is happening with small plants, especially if the plant that is snipped off is still lying near the plant, the culprit might be a cutworm rather than birds. To deter cutworms, wrap a piece of light aluminum foil around the stem at the ground level. Or even slightly below the ground.

Harlean from AR (05/08/2009)

By Harlean

Keeping Birds Out of the Garden

You could open both ends of a small can, like a tuna can and plant the tomatoes in the middle. (05/10/2009)

By Janet

Keeping Birds Out of the Garden

I save all of my toilet paper and paper towel tubes. Whenever I plant tomatoes, peppers, leeks, etc. I slip a tube over each plant and gently push it into the soil. They can be cut to any length needed. It keeps birds and cutworms from severing the stems. They will disintegrate after a while and can be left there to rot or thrown into the compost pile. The plant is usually mature enough by the time they break down that nothing else bothers the stem. This is a wonderful way to recycle, costs nothing, and works great. (05/14/2009)

By susan

Keeping Birds Out of the Garden

Someone once suggested that making "streamers" out of cassette tapes you no longer want will help keep the birds away. We tried it, and it actually was a good idea. We pulled out long strips of the tape, and tied 10 or 12 of them together. And in this way made lots of bunches.

If you tie them to the wire tomato cage, the wind blows them, and they flutter and move almost continuously. The tape sort of reflects the sunlight as well. So the birds look elsewhere for tomatoes to eat.

You can also put them onto dowel rods with a thumb tack, and place the dowel rod into the ground close to your plants. Get creative. (05/14/2009)

By Barbara Petty

I have birds that are eating the tops off of my plants in my garden, how do I get rid of them?

How do I keep birds out of my garden? I have tried fake owls, snakes, and wrapping wire around my tomato plants.

We have a problem with birds in the garden. I was wondering how to keep birds from eating everything when it ripens in the garden?

Home and Garden Pest Control BirdsJune 15, 2016
📓
🌻
😷
😎
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Keep-Birds-Out-of-the-Garden-2.html