Keep Birds Out of the Garden

Q: How do I keep birds out of my garden? I have tried fake owls, snakes, and wrapping wire around my tomato plants. The CD idea sounds good, as does the pie pan.

JGUER53 from Texas

A: JGUER53,

Birds tend to shy away from reflective materials and things that move. If birds are attacking your tomato plants, you might want to erect a few stakes around them and dangle some streamers of shiny plastic ribbon or flash tape. Some people also have good luck with those large balloons featuring scary eyes. The key to controlling birds in the garden is to find ways to keep them away before they get into the habit of visiting your garden daily as part of their feeding routine.

No single product is likely to remain effective long term. You're better off employing a number of tactics, like scarecrows, netting and CDs and rotating them every three or four days. If a specific variety of bird is the primary pest (blackbird, starling, etc.), I believe there are products available designed to scare-off specific species. Be sure to keep any devices you're not using out of site so the birds do not become accustomed to them.

Ellen

More Answers:

Keep Birds Out of the Garden

If you have room away from your garden. Use an old nylon stocking (panty hose) Fill them with bird seed and hang it as far away from the garden as possible. (04/04/2006)

By Vi Johnson

RE: Keep Birds Out of the Garden

🐛
📓
🌻