Getting Rid of Mockingbirds

Category Birds
While some people enjoy the varied song and antics of the mockingbird, others view them as too noisy and territorial. If you are part of the second camp then you may be looking for a way to encourage them to move on. This is a guide about getting rid of mockingbirds.

1. Mockingbirds, among other species, are protected under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. It is illegal to interfere with wild and nesting birds. For this reason, it is inadvisable to remove or heavily prune trees and hedges during nesting season. To avoid being targeted by an aggressive mockingbird, September - February are more suitable times to make significant landscaping changes.

2. Mockingbirds are attracted to forest edges, parks, small trees, freshly-cut lawns and to the tops of utility poles in suburban areas. They often nest in dense, low shrubs. If Mockingbirds are attracted to your property, it may be a consequence of the food sources it provides. Consider covering berry bushes with netting or add an additional bird feeder to a different area of the property to allow other species to get in on the action.

3. Mockingbirds may behave aggressively toward some species of birds, such as crows and hawks. Songbirds that mockingbirds tolerate within their territories may benefit from mockers' efforts to protect the area from mutual threats, however. Predation may occur from squirrels and snakes. The most common threat to wild and nesting birds, however, are ordinary house cats. If your area has a feral cat problem, please report the problem to animal control. If you are a pet owner, keep your cat indoors, particularly from dusk to dawn. Doing so protects cats and birds alike. Just as birds are common victims of cats, outdoor cats may fall victim to coyotes and raccoons, among other nocturnal threats.

4. Studies have shown that mockingbirds have the capacity to recognize individuals. They are capable of distinguishing between people and pets they view as threats and those they do not. Dive-bomb attacks by mockingbirds are most likely to occur during nesting season, which may begin as early as March and extend as late as August. To avoid being targeted by an over-protective mockingbird, keep your distance. Do not disturb a nesting site or approach their young during the fledgling stage (up to three weeks after leaving the nest).

5. Mockingbirds in search of a mate may sing night and day. If a lonely male mockingbird is causing you to lose sleep on a spring or summer night, make use of earplugs and/or a white-noise generator (an air purifier, for example). If a mockingbird fails to attract a mate, he will abandon the territory.

6. Mockingbirds consume grasshoppers and other garden pests. They are not believed to represent a significant agricultural threat.

7. Mockingbirds that reside where winters are harsh may migrate South.

8. Mockingbirds do not flock. A single individual or mated pair may occupy a 1-2-acre territory, and that territory may shift in the fall/winter vs. spring/summer.

Source: http://txtbba.tamu.edu/species-accounts/northern-mockingbird/ Book: "The Mockingbird" by Robin W. Doughty

We have a Mocking bird that rules our property. We enjoy the red birds, blue birds and beautiful yellow finches, but this Mocking bird will not allow them to feed at the feeders we have provided for them. He doesn't want to eat, just doesn't want any other birds in the yard. Our kitty has to walk along side of the house under bushes. What can we do?

By Littleredcheeks from Winchester, TN

Answers

Stop feeding them. We have plenty birds, no trouble with any of them. They get plenty seed in our lawn & trees, good luck.

Hello,
I had a mockingbird that nested in a bush outside of our window and it was really mean and made a terrible mess on the window sill and on my car mirror. I got a cheap plastic toy snake at the dollar store and hung it in the bush where he nested and he left within a day and never returned. If you know where he is nesting you could try this. It is worth a try. I wouldn't suggest putting it near the feeder or it will also scare away the other birds. Good Luck!

The plastic snake is a good idea! Also, try putting up one or two more bird feeders.

The mockingbird will run himself ragged trying to keep the other birds from all of the feeders.

Mockingbirds are very territorial, and quite fearless as you have found out! Do you have a suet feeder? They often go for that... put it as far away from the seed feeders as possible to make the mockingbird have to work harder. For that matter, spread all your feeders farther apart, some on each side of the house. The other birds will learn to outwit him and have better survival skills for it.

Had two mocking birds move into my bushes about a month ago. Didn't know what they were but were terrorizing anyone who came near. After a week of having to take cover just to get to my car I took some pictures and sent them to my brother to identify. Once I discovered they were mocking birds, I looked them up and played a you tube video of a singing mockingbird. One of the birds came right up the window where I was playing tune on my phone.

I then got the idea to search for predator bird sounds. Found a hawk which played for quite awhile. He didn't seem to like that as he retreated somewhat. So I started to play the hawk sounds on my phone just so I could go back and forth from my car without being dive bombed. After 2 days of predator bird sounds as needed for my own protection they just left the area.

Where do you find hawk sounds?

red tailed hawk - sound, call, and screech

I used a plastic owl and it kept away for a day or two but ti came back and started attacking the f*** en owl again.

Cornell Lab of Ornathology webpage. They have calls for all kinds of different birds.

Used the hawk sounds to scare away Towhees that chirped all through my first pregnancy!!

I'm nearly at the point of pulling out a shotgun - temporary insanity will be easy to prove. But before that, I'm going to make a recording the the bird itself and then play that recording during the day. Apparently the mockingbird will try to out chirp its own recording and eventually become too exhausted to sing st sing. It's a bit like keeping a kid up late so they sleep. ( yes, I'm sure there will be lots of very furious haters if this answer :-) )

Thanks for the predatory bird sound idea! I played this YouTube sound overnight and our noisy visitor is gone! One night!

youtu.be/bb3RGAP-hbI

I love the idea of YouTube to scare off birds!! WOW!!! I need to remember that! We get blue birds that nest in our one tree and they are mean! I will google their enemy and find that sound! SO SMART!!! What did we do before technology? Got dive bombed by angry bird moms mostly!!! Thanks for sharing this!!!

We are staying at this RV park right now and we have this annoying mockingbird that will attack everybody's windows. I'm pretty sure it sees its reflection. Every single day it will go to our window and slam into it and peck it, including our new truck when it's here. This has gone on for 2 weeks straight now and I'm starting to lose sleep over the little brat. I've even got videos of it attacking other peoples' vehicles and RVs. Does anyone know of anything to scare it away?