Getting a Mockingbird to Go Away

We have a Mocking bird that rules our property. We enjoy the red birds, blue birds and beautiful yellow finches, but this Mocking bird will not allow them to feed at the feeders we have provided for them. He doesn't want to eat, just doesn't want any other birds in the yard. Our kitty has to walk along side of the house under bushes. What can we do?

By Littleredcheeks from Winchester, TN

Stop feeding them. We have plenty birds, no trouble with any of them. They get plenty seed in our lawn & trees, good luck.

Hello,
I had a mockingbird that nested in a bush outside of our window and it was really mean and made a terrible mess on the window sill and on my car mirror. I got a cheap plastic toy snake at the dollar store and hung it in the bush where he nested and he left within a day and never returned. If you know where he is nesting you could try this. It is worth a try. I wouldn't suggest putting it near the feeder or it will also scare away the other birds. Good Luck!

I used a plastic owl and it kept away for a day or two but ti came back and started attacking the f*** en owl again.

The plastic snake is a good idea! Also, try putting up one or two more bird feeders.

The mockingbird will run himself ragged trying to keep the other birds from all of the feeders.

Mockingbirds are very territorial, and quite fearless as you have found out! Do you have a suet feeder? They often go for that... put it as far away from the seed feeders as possible to make the mockingbird have to work harder. For that matter, spread all your feeders farther apart, some on each side of the house. The other birds will learn to outwit him and have better survival skills for it.

Had two mocking birds move into my bushes about a month ago. Didn't know what they were but were terrorizing anyone who came near. After a week of having to take cover just to get to my car I took some pictures and sent them to my brother to identify. Once I discovered they were mocking birds, I looked them up and played a you tube video of a singing mockingbird. One of the birds came right up the window where I was playing tune on my phone.

I then got the idea to search for predator bird sounds. Found a hawk which played for quite awhile. He didn't seem to like that as he retreated somewhat. So I started to play the hawk sounds on my phone just so I could go back and forth from my car without being dive bombed. After 2 days of predator bird sounds as needed for my own protection they just left the area.

Where do you find hawk sounds?

red tailed hawk - sound, call, and screech

Cornell Lab of Ornathology webpage. They have calls for all kinds of different birds.

Used the hawk sounds to scare away Towhees that chirped all through my first pregnancy!!

Thanks for the predatory bird sound idea! I played this YouTube sound overnight and our noisy visitor is gone! One night!

youtu.be/bb3RGAP-hbI

I love the idea of YouTube to scare off birds!! WOW!!! I need to remember that! We get blue birds that nest in our one tree and they are mean! I will google their enemy and find that sound! SO SMART!!! What did we do before technology? Got dive bombed by angry bird moms mostly!!! Thanks for sharing this!!!

I'm nearly at the point of pulling out a shotgun - temporary insanity will be easy to prove. But before that, I'm going to make a recording the the bird itself and then play that recording during the day.

Apparently the mockingbird will try to out chirp its own recording and eventually become too exhausted to sing st sing. It's a bit like keeping a kid up late so they sleep. ( yes, I'm sure there will be lots of very furious haters if this answer :-) )