Can I Cook Rice In A Crockpot?

Does anybody know if you can successfully cook rice in a crock pot?

Susan from Columbus, OH

Starchy things like rice, potatoes, and pasta usually do not cook well in crock pots.

Saw this recipe here:

Have not tried it though...but worth a shot

Here are two recipes for making rice in a crockpot:

Crockpot - Rice

butter or margarine

Follow directions on rice package for proportion of rice to water.

(Up to 4 cups raw rice may be prepared in crockpot/slow cooker.

Makes 10 cups cooked). Rub crockpot/slow cooker lightly with 1 tablespoon butter. Pour in rice, water and salt. Cover and cook on High 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. or to cook all day:

Cook on Low for 8 to 10 hours - use 2 to 3 cups long grain rice,

4 to 6 cups water or broth, 2 Tablespoons butter. Salt to taste

before serving.

When turned off, crockpot/slow cooker will keep rice warm for

serving for 2 to 3 hours!

crockpot - Rice, foolproof

1 cup regular raw, white rice

1 cup water

2 teaspoons salt

1 tablespoon butter

Place all ingredients together in crockpot/slow cooker.

Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours.

This Foolproof Rice recipe really does work, even with the small amount of water required. Covering the crockpot and setting it on Low effectively turns your crockpot into a rice steamer. The rice will have the consistency of steamed rice and will not be the kind of "sticky rice" that you would get from cooking it in a pot on the stove top.

I would suggest that you get a rice cooker, and use that. My son gave me one that cooks up to 4 cups of rice. It is no trouble to set it up and do a few other things while it cooks. The one I have was less than $10, my son said. I would cook something main course in the slow cooker, and cook the rice in the rice cooker when you get home.

I just found this thread and had a few things to add.

I have 5 crockpots of different sizes and use them ALL the time to save time in the kitchen since we are ranchers and farmers and need to be outdoors all the time. I think of my crockpots as mini ovens and even use them with timers so that I am not necessarily cooking the food all day.

Potatoes do wonderful in crockpots, despite what was earlier said. I cube my potatoes and cover with water. Cook on high for about 4 hours or low for 6-10 hours. Drain and mash and enjoy!!

A wonderful site for crockpot recipes and ideas from main dishes to even desserts is "A Year of Slow Cooking". This site is a blog from a woman that cooked for her husband and children from a crockpot for one year and shared the experience and recipes with us. I have used many of her recipes and love majority of them.

Crockpots are not just for stews, soups, and heavenly starchy gravy soaked meats!! Experiment and enjoy

Roast and vegetables in crockpot.
Using A Slow Cooker (Crockpot)
Food and Recipes Food Tips Crockpot CookingJune 5, 2008
Scoop of brown rice. Freezing brown rice.
Freezing Brown Rice
Slow Cooker
Converting Recipes for a Slow Cooker
Side of Spanish rice.
Making Spanish Rice in the Rice Cooker
A plate of cooked brown rice.
Cooking Brown Rice in a Rice Cooker