Does Meat Need to Be Cooked Before Putting in a Crockpot?

Your crockpot is the prefect appliance for cooking tender tasty meat of all types. While some meats are browned first, meat doesn't not need to be cooked before putting it in a crockpot. Read on for more about this topic.

Do I need to cook the cube steak before I put it in a crockpot?

By joshua vaden from Greensboro, NC

Best Answer

I rarely go to the trouble of browning meat before putting it in the crockpot to cook all day. I occasionally brown beef the night before if I'm making a roast, but never for a stew, pulled pork, BBQ ribs and, of course, I wouldn't brown chicken. I can't say I notice much difference in the meat's flavor or greasiness whether I brown it or not. It will cook though regardless. When I do brown a roast, the outside is "firmer" and remains more of a chunk of meat. If not browned, it tends to shred/fall apart more. Some recipes I have call for the meat to be browned, others do not. But like I said, I'm lazy so even when the recipe says to brown the meat, I often don't and it turns out fine.

You don't necessarily have to cook it. It will completely cook in the crock pot, but I highly recommend you brown it first.

I think it is according to the recipe. I like to get as much grease off of ground meat as possible so I usually will brown.

But the others I think it will depend on what you are fixing in there.

Browning makes it more presentable, but IMNSHO, the whole purpose of crockpot/slow cooker cooking is to use the fewest pots and utensils possible. I think it tastes the same whether you brown the meat first, or not.