Share & Vote
Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Trimming a Yorkiepoo's Hair

I would like to know how to trim a Yorkiepoo's hair at home. He's half Miniature Yorkie and half Miniature Poodle. Please show me pictures of how.

Doris from Lawrenceville, Illinois

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By stuck on you12/25/2014

Maybe your yorkiepoo's hair is like my dogs; a lot of fine under coat, sort of ruff on top and it mats and snarls really easily. I'm still learning how to handle it, but I can give you this advice. It takes a lot of patience to brush, and comb the mats out before you can do anything else. I saw a video on utube about combing out a poodle and he said the only thing you can do is to have alot of patience and time. I go over the coat first with a slicker brush which only does the top layer of hair. Then I use a mat buster which is a razor bladed comb on one side and dull on the other. Turn the blades out toward you facing up and the blunt sides near the dogs skin.

If you ever had a daughter with long hair that needed detangling, you know you start at the bottom while holding the skin and root and start working out. Eventually little by little you can work down to the skin and the mat will come loose. Once you have them completely brushed out, its time for a bath! Yes, all that and now the water that will tighten everything up again! a high powered dryer like the groomers use really helps to staighten the hair as it dries.

As for a cut, I'd recommend a puppy cut all around and all year long. the longer my dogs hair grows the more snarles she gets. Besides her being a tom-boy and crawling under everything imaginable. You can go to "how to trim a poodle,puppy cut" and you can follow step by step videos or buy a book on poodle grooming. Our dogs hair is more like a poodles the a yorkies. I think you'll get farther. When you get tired of doing it yourself and take him to the groomer you'll know the exactly what you are paying for ... alot of work!

By LuvMyGingerKids [45]03/16/2008

I would recommend you have a professional show you how to do it the first couple of times. They'll show you the right brushes, combs, clippers, and scissors to use.

Here are some links to videos on grooming Yorkies and poodles:

http://www.youtube.com/results?sear ... g+yorkshire+terrier&search_type=

http://www.youtube.com/results?sear ... ery=grooming+poodle&search_type=