Houseplants Dried Up After Getting Too Cold

I live in the midwest and went on a 2-week vacation. When I returned my furnace wasn't working, so it was pretty darn cold in the house (40's). My peace plant plus other plants I have were all dried up, but he soil was still moist from neighbor watering my plants.

I clipped them down hoping the plant will start growing again. I think it will, because the roots didn't freeze and the stems are still a healthy green. Did I do the right thing in clipping them back? What else can I do to help plant growth? Thanks for any information.

Marsha from Norfolk, NE

I would have cut them down too, it will be easier for the plant to recover. If it has always been healthy where you have kept it, leave it there, and give it a feed every month or so.

I am only saying what I would do, but I am not a pro.

Good Luck!

Peace (Lily) plants do not take stress well. Any changes can set them back. Call your local green house for some tips or look on your state's extension webpage for an answer. Don't give it any 'food', just water it--a couple times a week. Too much water and it will drown the roots. Don't let it set in water either.

A healthy plant will recover. Just continue to water them as usual and make sure they are getting the same light that they always have. I have kept houseplants for years and I am amazed at how well a sickly plant can do with some attention. Yes, you did the right thing. It takes less of the plants energy to re-grow than it does to keep damaged and sick growth alive.

I live in Wisconsin, and my plants have not been happy this winter. I grow Africa violets, herbs, and aloe ...plus others.

I use left over black coffee with water added to make enough, and water my plants with that once a week. The violets still flower and the herbs, especially parsley, have flourished.

Coffee is natural, and builds up the soil. It is cheap plantfood, as I always have a little coffee around at the end of the day. I pour it into an old coffee carafe and add water to fill.

Hope all goes well with your plant recovery.

Home and Garden Gardening House PlantsFebruary 10, 2009
Fertilizing Houseplants
Fertilizing Houseplants
Insect Problems on Houseplants
Solutions for Insect Pests on Houseplants
Self Watering Houseplant
Watering Houseplants On Vacation
Dried lime cut in half.
Recipes Using Dried Limes
🎉
🎄