General AdviceConsumer Advice

What Are the Disadvantages of Using Store Brands?

What are the disadvantages of using store brand products?

By Tishah

It is going to depend on the individual. There is a difference in some items, but for general every day use I do use the store brand canned goods. Some brands don't look as nice, but for my family because of the savings I am satisfied. If I am having special company I use the higher priced brands because of appearance. Where I live the store brands are at least ten cents lower priced than the brand names. Most of the time taste isn't any difference. I can't tell any noticable difference in cleaning supplies, but like I said it will depend on each person.

Coupons are not usually a big deal on generic brands as their price is already lower than name brands. With name brands, coupons are available and may bring the price down lower than the generic's pricing depending on the coupon's value.

Downsides of always buying name brands is the price reflected at checkout time. And, not all name brands always taste better than some and I say some, generic brands. For an example: I cannot tell any difference in rice krispies cereal no matter what brand it is.

There are mfg. companies that sell the same product to different companies who put that product into their own box be it name brand or generic. Why pay more if the lower generic brand tastes the same. I've read this done to some dry dog foods too.

Here in the UK most supermarkets do their own discounted brands plus a bargain-basement value range. It depends on the product but I'm generally hard pressed to tell the difference. I wouldn't say there's no difference in quality; look at a bottle of pasta sauce for example and you'll probably find the store brands use less tomatoes per volume than the name brands. But generally they're quite good and it's rare I bother with name brands anymore. I think the savings add up over minor differences in quality. But just like all name brands aren't created equal some store brands are better than others, so it helps to experiment!

I use many store brands. It depends on the product. Just buy one in a small size to see what it's like. There are two items which aren't up for discussion though. I use All Free and Clear liquid for laundry and Cascade power packs for the dishwasher. Canned goods and coffee as well as most cleaning products are fine. If you try one item and don't like it you haven't wasted much but if you do like it then you stand to save a good amount of money.

You don't get pretty packaging, and you don't put so much money in the store's tills. Same quality goods for less money, where's the disadvantage?

You can't brag about how much you spent on them!

I try to use store brands for most things. Only rarely have I found something I didn't like. I remember once hubby complained about a cheaper brand of green beans, the beans were cut extra short, and had a lot of stems left in there.

You just have to try them, and decide which you like better. It may help to keep a notebook to write down which brand you tried, and what you did or didn't like about it, so you won't forget on the next shopping trip.