Tips For Shaping Patties

Can we all share tips/shortcuts/techniques for shaping patties (of any kind)?

I grease a plastic bottle lid, shape the patty with it on a parchment paper.

Lakshmi from NJ

Editor's Note: Post your own tips here!

Best Answer

When I worked at a IceCream parlor/diner. we shaped hamburger patties by rolling hamburger out to 1/4 to 1/2 inch thickness, then we took a butter bowl lid and cut out patties with it. We called them barge burgers.

Best Answer

I roughly roll into balls, then squash and use the back of a spatula or a dough scraper to make them into circles, pushing down on the edges to hold them together. This works on ground meat, meat and rice, and salmon and bread crumbs.

Best Answer

I've used the 1/2 c. measuring cup out of the standard Tupperware set. Pack the cup tight with raw meat, turn over onto waxed paper, and then flatten by hand or with something flat. This makes quarter pounders. If you want a bigger patty, use a bigger measuring cup!

Then lay the patties out one by one onto a cookie sheet lined w/ waxed paper, add a second layer if needed, and pop into the freezer to solidify the meat. Can also freeze for later use after this step.

Best Answer

I learned once by watching 30 minute meals with Rachael Ray to make an indentation in the middle of the burger. This allows for shrinkage and keeps the burgers relatively flat! It looks strange to cook, but it works like a charm!

Best Answer

I have managed large restaurants and been a cook in AK for 60 gold miners. I used to mix things in the meat, making them like mini meatloafs.

Then, I made them into balls and placed on a pam sprayed cookie sheet not unlike cookies. I then sprayed the bottom of the second sheet, placed it on top, and pressed it down with #10 can's of food. In about 5 minutes, I had perfect patties that I seperated with waxed paper, placed in tube like plastic bags, and put in 1 lb. coffee cans to store in the freezer.

Up in AK, we used everything till it was used up. The coffee cans gave me insulation, stacked well, were already on hand, and resisted freezer burn.

If you can modify something that is the perfect size, you are ahead of the game.

NOTE: For mommies and daddies, sometimes a hamburger is too much for little ones. I used to make my daughter a little pattie, and used a cookie cutter to make two circles out of a bread heel. It was just right for her little hands.

Best Answer

I have a saucer about 1/2" deep I put a piece of plastic wrap on it and flatten a hamburger ball then wrap the plastic wrap around the hamburger patty and put in a freezer bag/ You can do 5 or 6 pounds of hamburger patties in about 20 minutes.

Best Answer

Hi just saw this, a couple of months late, but I'll share anyway. I use pampered chefs Ice cream sandwich maker to make my hamburger patties, and then I layer between wax paper and wrap in freezer paper. the ice cream sandwich maker was about $10. I like the size, it is perfect! I did see at a local Fleet farm a "hamburger patty shaper" in the kitchen stuff. It was a bit larger!

I have cut the bottom off of a 1/2 gal plastic milk bottle.flatten out the whole chub of ground beef and make lots of burgers! Freeze in amounts needed. The burgers are square but it makes for great conversation!

My grandpa always flattened burger patties between two plates. I measure out 1/2 cup of hambrger, roll into a ball and flatten between two plates. The plates I use have a rim on the bottom which I use as the guide to tell me when I've reached the right thickness. I freeze the patties in a single layer, then stack into a clean bread bag. They are perfect every time!

Hands Shaping Meat Patties
Making Hamburger Patties
Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsNovember 13, 2008
Plate of meatballs.
Shaping Meatballs
Fried Frozen Chicken Patties
Recipes Using Frozen Chicken Patties
lace close up
Lace Shaping
Fried Chicken Patties
Homemade Chicken Patties
🎄