Clogged Toilet

I had the same nagging question many others did; how do I unclog this toilet? It happens to me routinely, without any paper.

By Denise M. from Eaton, CO

Best Answer

Get yourself an auger, aka a snake. You just need to crank it until it extends itself into the plumbing, and then reel it back in (with whatever is plugging). Sometimes it will also push whatever is causing the backup too. Most chemical drain openers are not for use in a toilet-just so you'll know. Good luck!

Best Answer

You most likely got some tree roots going on. They plug the outlet going to the street. Tree roots can burrow into many things, pipes, brick. Just spent $4,000 on digging up son's yard (rents from us) as tree roots live a long time under ground even when the on ground trees are gone.

Best Answer

After 2 days of plunging I was at my wits end looking for answers. I came across this site, saw the 1/4 cup of Dawn dish detergent, followed by a few gallons of hot water remedy, tried it & after two goes, it worked! I wouldn't have believed something so simple would actually work. After reading the other posts, I too would recommend hot tap water, not boiling water, and would wait for the porcelain to cool to room temp. before flushing the toilet with the cooler water in the tank.

A wonderful idea with dish washer soap & hot water.

It really worked for me.

The dish detergent and hot water did the miracle after almost two hours trying to unplug a nasty toilet. I did not use boiling water just hot water from the faucet and it work. Thank you for this wonderful idea!

After one hour of working with the plunger and getting the major thingoid out of the way, it was still refilling slowly. Tried the dishwashing liquid and the tap hot water, waited for the hot water to cool, and it worked like a charm. Thanks, Jirafa.

OMG I feel the pain, 3 days of back breaking plunging and still drained slowly. I read this article and I thought, yeah right, no way. I didn't have money to buy a snake or pay a plumber so laughed as I poured the dish soap into the toilet added hot tap water, plunged a few times and to my shock it went right down. What a life saver this article has been, not to mention your toilet bowl looks all shiny and smells good when done, too. I don't know if generic dish soap would work, but I used the scented dawn dish soap and went down with ease ;). Thank you again for this wonderful tip. I can't wait to tell my dad after years of him breaking his back.

I have a brand new water-saver type toilet, the newest version, and it clogged up bad! Dish soap, nada! Plunger, nada! So I did the Dawn soap thing and followed it with a gallon of (tap) hot water 5 times. Nada! Then I waited about 5 minutes and filled my 12 quart soup pot with hot water and dumped it in. 10 seconds later, whoosh! Clean as a whistle and emptying fast like a frantic freight train coming down out of the mountain at full throttle!

Thanks for posting the dishwashing liquid and hot water remedy for a clogged toilet! I had to use a different brand of dw liquid, but it worked! Yea!

We had a bad clog. So bad my husband broke two plungers! We then used an auger then a dry vac (as someone suggested here). Didn't work. We called a plumber but because it is the weekend, they wanted to charge us an after hours emergency fee of $129. That's just for them to come out and assess the situation. They wouldn't give us a quote for the actual job. Anyway, I checked online and found this site. The only thing we have not tried was Dawn Dishwashing soap. We thought, nothing to lose, let's try it. We poured some down the toilets (both got clogged) and the shower drain (guck ended up coming out of the shower and tub as well). We let it sit for about 4 hours as we went to church and went grocery shopping. When we got home, we poured hot water (from the tap) down the first toilet. IT WORKED! Down the second toilet. IT WORKED TOO. Of course it also worked in the tub and shower. THIS DAWN SOAP TRICK WORKS. It saved us at least $200 in plumbing fees. Thank you so much for this tip. Blessings to you guys.

July 16, 2010 Flag

Please help me out. My commode has clogged because of baby diaper. I tried to clear the clog with soap and hot water and with a toilet snake. Nothing has work out, please save me from this trouble.

By zyxwvu from NY

Answers:

Clogged Toilet

Maybe the best bet would be to remove the toilet. Take it outside and and work on it. Also inspect the waste pipe. Not difficult to do. I have done it a few times when material gets stuck and nothing will remove the clog. (12/07/2009)

By surfsonge

Clogged Toilet

I am very sorry. I am a great grandmother now, but was a single mom for many years and I did something similar to myself one horrible week.

First, I had to do all repairs, chores, etc on my days off.

So on day one I went to get a big bale of hay for my angora rabbits (I was learning to spin). It weighed 70 pounds and of course I tweaked my back as I maneuvered it out of the truck and up the stairs and into the back yard. Then a burglar came out of the house that evening, carrying my brand new sewing machine, still in it's box. I struggled with him (I did get it back), But in the tussle, he hit me with a heavy object which gave me a magenta "black" eye. Still, there was one more day off, and I decided to clean the fridge the next day and threw some leftover soup into the toilet, as we didn't have a disposal. You guessed it. I forgot there were little bones in the bottom of the pot (I was trying to make oxtail soup, not a hit, so there was so much leftover it hid the bones). I couldn't get that toilet to flush, no matter what. Called brother (at work, a fireman, on 24 hour shift, couldn't wait for him, needed the toilet) for directions.

You may as well learn how to fix a toilet. It's not too expensive.

Go to your local hardware/diy store and get a toilet seal appropriate for your brand/shape/type of toilet.
If you don't have a wrench, you will need the smaller type with the adjustable head. It's called a crescent wrench, and is 8-10 inches long, with a screw thingy you turn to adjust for different size bolts.

Turn off water under toilet: there's that small little handle, and flush a couple of times to remove every bit of water you can. Finish removing water using small cups and towels to soak up remaining water in tank first.Put soggy towels in tub, but have dry ones waiting on floor for porcelain parts, which are the tank and the seat parts of the toilet.
After emptying the tank as above, and removing any bolts underneath lifty carefully and set on floor on towels.

Carefully loosen bolts in floor, which told the seat, right to tighten, left to loosen [righty-tighty, lefty-Loosey]. Never apply over wrenching when dealing with porcelain [toilet]. Sufficient and no more.

Work toilet from base and place on rugs, having emptied it as much as possible before lifting.
Remove offending object. Scrape all old seal up, place new one exactly where old one was, replace toilet,
put on bolts, tighten enough but no more. Follow any directions on seal package, etc. Replace tank. Double check your work before turning the water back on. [Make sure tank is level, etc.

As i worked on my toilet, I caught a picture of myself in the mirror. Magenta face, pained expression from back tweak, etc...

I've used that episode to remind myself if I have to, I can function under almost any circumstances, though I try very hard not to repeat it...and I still have the sewing machine.

(12/07/2009)

By PIKKA

Clogged Toilet

Wow! The dish soap and hot (not boiling) water then using the plunger worked like a charm! I had been using the plunger to no avail, went to the auger but couldn't figure out how to use the darned thing, then went to the internet for a solution and found this one. Thank you! (02/16/2010)

By ladysam97411

Clogged Toilet

Tried the dish washing soap and hot water... amazing! Thanks to whoever posted.. and thanks to all who posted their success with the clogged toilet fix! i never would of believed if we didn't try. We won't be running 4 flights down to the buildings rec center to use their washroom. Thank goodness. (03/19/2010)

By imabeliever

December 6, 2009 Flag

My daughter dropped half the plastic toilet paper roll holder down the toilet. Now of course the toilet will not flush. Is there any way to clear the toilet with out taking the toilet apart or calling a plumber? My husband is dreading the possibility of taking the toilet apart. Looking for some help.

By pumy from Cleveland

Answers:

Clogged Toilet

If you can not reach the roller you will have to take the toilet apart. If your child is so young she doesn't know yet not to drop things into the toilet it isn't safe for her to be in the bathroom alone. GeT a toilet lid lock for the future. (08/20/2009)

By Lindal

Clogged Toilet

Yes will have to take the toilet apart, but be sure to have another wax ring for sealing the bottom when you put the toilet back on the floor. (08/20/2009)

By rainy21

Clogged Toilet

Use what is called a plumbers snake it has a coil wire that you crank down into the bowl until you find the blockage then just roll it back in and bring the blockage out. (08/20/2009)

By dcsprsmm

Clogged Toilet

My husband took a wire coat hanger and bent a hook on the end to use on a couple of occasions when our grandson put a toy or something in the toilet that we had to try to "fish out". It took quite a bit of time, and work, on the one toy, but he finally hooked it. (08/21/2009)

By emmamamie

Clogged Toilet

Do not use boiling water in a cold commode. My dad is a plumber and it will crack the bowl. It could even shatter it. Go to a hardware store and buy a snake or some kind of plumbing tool to "fish" out the clog or break it. (09/09/2009)

By lilxplrer

Clogged Toilet

So, I frantically Googled "clogged toilet", after my husband tried relentlessly to get our pooper to break free. We had such a mess. I picked up an auger at Home Depot for $8, and thought it would do the trick. After 2 hours of plunging, an hour of cranking an auger and countless times flushing with our fingers crossed only to have the yucky water rise to the rim, I was about to give up and call that bathroom "off limits".

Then I read the posts about Dawn. Amazing. It really worked. I poured it down, followed it by hot water and my husband went to plunging. That beautiful gurgling sound was music to my ears. No more clog. Thank you. (10/10/2009)

By HappyPoster

August 16, 2009 Flag

My 3 year old flushed a banana down the toilet. Now when I flush it, it drains down slow and it will back up. If any one has any ideas on how to unclog it please let me know.

May 21, 2009 Flag

My 3 year old flushed a banana down the toilet. Now when I flush it, it drains down slow and it will back up.

July 5, 2005 Flag

My toilet gets clogged all the time. I plunge it and get it to empty slowly. Could really use some suggestions of what I could do to correct this problem.

toilet plunger
Fixing a Clogged Toilet
Home and Garden Home Improvement PlumbingJuly 16, 2010
Bar of Soap Stuck in a Toilet
Bar of Soap Stuck in Toilet
Man installing a toilet.
Installing a Toilet
Toilet Brush Head
Toilet Brush Head Stuck in Toilet
Saving Money on Toilet Paper
Saving Money on Toilet Paper
🎄