Clogged Toilet

I had the same nagging question many others did; how do I unclog this toilet? It happens to me routinely, without any paper.

By Denise M. from Eaton, CO

Best Answer

Get yourself an auger, aka a snake. You just need to crank it until it extends itself into the plumbing, and then reel it back in (with whatever is plugging). Sometimes it will also push whatever is causing the backup too. Most chemical drain openers are not for use in a toilet-just so you'll know. Good luck!

Best Answer

You most likely got some tree roots going on. They plug the outlet going to the street. Tree roots can burrow into many things, pipes, brick. Just spent $4,000 on digging up son's yard (rents from us) as tree roots live a long time under ground even when the on ground trees are gone.

Best Answer

After 2 days of plunging I was at my wits end looking for answers. I came across this site, saw the 1/4 cup of Dawn dish detergent, followed by a few gallons of hot water remedy, tried it & after two goes, it worked! I wouldn't have believed something so simple would actually work. After reading the other posts, I too would recommend hot tap water, not boiling water, and would wait for the porcelain to cool to room temp. before flushing the toilet with the cooler water in the tank.

A wonderful idea with dish washer soap & hot water.

It really worked for me.

The dish detergent and hot water did the miracle after almost two hours trying to unplug a nasty toilet. I did not use boiling water just hot water from the faucet and it work. Thank you for this wonderful idea!

After one hour of working with the plunger and getting the major thingoid out of the way, it was still refilling slowly. Tried the dishwashing liquid and the tap hot water, waited for the hot water to cool, and it worked like a charm. Thanks, Jirafa.

OMG I feel the pain, 3 days of back breaking plunging and still drained slowly. I read this article and I thought, yeah right, no way. I didn't have money to buy a snake or pay a plumber so laughed as I poured the dish soap into the toilet added hot tap water, plunged a few times and to my shock it went right down. What a life saver this article has been, not to mention your toilet bowl looks all shiny and smells good when done, too. I don't know if generic dish soap would work, but I used the scented dawn dish soap and went down with ease ;). Thank you again for this wonderful tip. I can't wait to tell my dad after years of him breaking his back.

I have a brand new water-saver type toilet, the newest version, and it clogged up bad! Dish soap, nada! Plunger, nada! So I did the Dawn soap thing and followed it with a gallon of (tap) hot water 5 times. Nada! Then I waited about 5 minutes and filled my 12 quart soup pot with hot water and dumped it in. 10 seconds later, whoosh! Clean as a whistle and emptying fast like a frantic freight train coming down out of the mountain at full throttle!

Thanks for posting the dishwashing liquid and hot water remedy for a clogged toilet! I had to use a different brand of dw liquid, but it worked! Yea!

Anonymous

We had a bad clog. So bad my husband broke two plungers! We then used an auger then a dry vac (as someone suggested here). Didn't work. We called a plumber but because it is the weekend, they wanted to charge us an after hours emergency fee of $129. That's just for them to come out and assess the situation. They wouldn't give us a quote for the actual job. Anyway, I checked online and found this site. The only thing we have not tried was Dawn Dishwashing soap. We thought, nothing to lose, let's try it. We poured some down the toilets (both got clogged) and the shower drain (guck ended up coming out of the shower and tub as well). We let it sit for about 4 hours as we went to church and went grocery shopping. When we got home, we poured hot water (from the tap) down the first toilet. IT WORKED! Down the second toilet. IT WORKED TOO. Of course it also worked in the tub and shower. THIS DAWN SOAP TRICK WORKS. It saved us at least $200 in plumbing fees. Thank you so much for this tip. Blessings to you guys.