Clearing a Clogged Toilet

What can I try to unclog a toilet? I have plunged it for two days, but the water still just fills up.

By Bonita

Best Answer

If you've been trying a plunger without success, it usually means there is something attached to the walls of the piping, like accumulations of fats and hair, other debris, for example, creating a partial blockage. The plunging is enough to force the water to drain, but only under the applied force of the plunger-once you stop the force action everything starts to back up again.

Have you tried pouring boiling water following by a tablespoon of Dawn Dishwashing liquid down the drain to dissolve whatever is blocking the pipes? There are several different home brews you can try, hopefully someone will post a few-using a drain opener fluid like Liquid Plumber or Draino works too but trying a more eco/budget-friendly method first is best.

If a home brew doesn't clear the blockage completely, you can try the commercial preparations, or you can buy a drain snake.

Follow the directions with the drain snake, and try clearing the blockage that way.

A drain snake is a good thing to have in your tool box and they aren't that expensive to buy anymore. There are very cheap ones in the dollar stores (USA) but for a very few dollars more you can get a good one from the D-I-Y centre. I've always had one, renter or homeowner, it came in handy with two children at home. They're grown now and have children of their own-guess what each has in their took box, lol!

I live in the UK now, and have convinced my new husband that we need one of these in our tool kit:)

There are at least 2 kinds of plungers-the red ones with a "bowl" shaped head, and black ones with a sort of bowl and rounded nub on it-the latter work best. Use it and if the bowl contues to drain and then fill turn off the water (handle/know should be just below tank. Plinge to get as much water as pssible out of toilet. Then pour in either a good handful of baking soda followed by cheap white vinegar, allow to work for 20-30 min, add more vinegar (this will foam but is not at all harmful to you, repeat as needed.

Then try letting water back in, plunge again and it should clear. Or again, plunge to empty, turn off water etc. pour in soem liquid dish soap followed by a kettle of boiling water. (Don't burn yourself on the steam!) Repeat as above w/ vinegar and soda. This works for me and I have never had to call a plumber. However, if the blockage is a GI-Joe, legos, or Barbie apparel you'll need to catch it with a snale or call a plumber.