Clearing a Toilet Clogged with Cat Litter

Category Plumbing
If you have ever made the mistake of dumping the cat box into the toilet, you may have had to deal with the resulting clog. This is a guide about clearing a toilet clogged with cat litter.

I made the mistake of throwing a large clump of clumping kitty litter down the toilet. Here are some tricks I used to unclog it:

• Remove any toilet paper, etc. from the clogged toilet.

• For overnight (or after 4 hours), combine 2 cups of white vinegar and 2 tablespoons of baking soda in a glass cup and pour that into the clogged toilet.

• The next morning, take 3 tablespoons of dishwashing liquid (I used Dawn) and pour that into the toilet. Immediately pour 3 cups of hot water into the toilet and let that sit for an hour and a half.

• After it has sat, try to flush. Stop the flush if it seems like the toilet water is going to overflow. Then pour 8 to 10 teapots full of boiling hot water into the toilet. Pour boiling water into the clogged toilet, with back to back pours, waiting about 1 minute and 1/2 in between pours.

My teapot holds 9 cups of water. The clog should clear up after pouring in the boiling hot water.

I did a dumb thing. I didn't realize that it was bad to flush cat poop down the toilet. I would scoop his litter box and flush the feces down the toilet. The litter was just regular clay litter, and I would shake all access litter off, but there was still pieces stuck to the feces.

It didn't cause damage at first so I didn't see a problem, but one day it backed up. Ever since, it has been semi clogged and will clog up easily. We have tried plunging but it is not helping. What should I do?

Lacy

Answers

Best Answer

It's time for a plumber's snake. You can get one at the hardware. Fairly straight-forward on how to use.

How do I unclog a toilet that was clogged with cat litter?

By Cea from Houston, TX

Answers

Cat litter is usually made, part or all, of clay and clay expands in water. So if clay litter is dumped into the toilet, it will expand and can cause very difficult problems, even cracked pipes.

You can try a toilet snake yourself but the best plan is to call in a plumber who will have better tools, knowledge and experience to work with the problem.

Never flush cat litter down the toilet, not even flushable litter. Never put anything but toilet paper down the toilet (not even flushable wipes). It will save lots of problems and some big plumber's bills. I'd call a plumber as soon as possible. The problem isn't going to get any better.

I agree with other posters. If plunging doesn't work, and a snake doesn't work (or you don't know how to use it), call a plumber.

I am sure that this is something that most plumbers will have dealt with, and they will get your toilet running again.

Anonymous

Thanks to the advice below, I tried all remedies starting with the snake. That did not work because of the shape of the back of the toilet bowl; if it is an S shape, the snake does not work. Mouthwash did not work. Vinigar did not work. BUT finally, LOTS OF HOT WATER and DISH SOAP ! I poured boiling water from my the largest two pots I have for making pasta PLUS alot of dish soap (COSTCO's environmentally sound soap worked just find). Just for good measure I must have poured 4 gallons of boiling water through at the SAME TIME as the dish soap. It worked! Thanks for sharing this trick below....my husband will never put clay kitty litter in the toilet again.

I have been using this clumping cat litter since I was asked to take in a 4th cat. I have 2 boxes, 4 cats, hoo-boy. I always put the clumps in a baggie and throw them in the garbage. But with the winter I noticed a couple of things. First, my vacuum was getting clogged with a super-fine dust. I have to clean the filter every time I vacuum.

Second, my voice had become very raspy. And finally, the sink where I clean the filter has begun to back up. So, I'm wondering if this dust is clogging the sink? In an earlier post you mention using mouthwash to clear it. Would that work with this dust?

By Marige O. from Washington, NJ

Answers

Yes, it could very well be causing all those problems. Start using a small broom instead of the vacuum. I would change liters.

Yes, this could be it. Have a dustpan just for this purpose and use a face mask

Hi all! Well my husband made it home safe and we just moved into the new place. Unfortunately he thought that "scoopable" and "flushable" cat litter were the same thing. So now the toilet is clogged. How do we get the clay litter out and get the toilet unclogged? Thanks everyone.

Suzanne S. from NJ

Answers

Oh My what a mess. There's a couple of things I can think of. 1. Rent a snake from a rental store and run it down the toilet. Hopefully it will run the stuff on into your septic. Tell guy at the rental store what going on and he might be able to give you some ideas. 2. Call rotorooter and ask them if they would give ideas of what to do. I hope it wasn't a whole lot, if it was might have to have septic pumped out once you've flushed it on thru.
Good Luck. Let us know what you end up doing and if it works.

Can cat litter still clog the toilet after I flushed it 100 times non stop? I know this sounds really stupid but I flushed cat litter down the toilet. Before I flushed it, I put some hot water in the cat litter to make it soggy. After I flushed it down, I continued flushing the toilet non stop.

Will the cat litter still clog the toilet after I flushed it that many times? I only flushed about 1/4 of a cup. It works right now but will it clog later tonight?

Help ASAP

By tiffanyhung1108 Toronto, ON