Finding Plumbing Repair Assistance for Low Income Homeowners

Category Plumbing
Having working plumbing is a necessity. However, some families can not afford the cost of hiring a tradesperson to make the necessary repairs. This is a guide about finding plumbing repair assistance for low income homeowners.

I am a single mother of two and have a bad sewage leak under my house in need of repair. There is a lot of water under my house that is on the ground. It has caused my floors to rot out that are now caving in in two bedrooms and the kitchen.

It also has allowed mosquitos to breed under my house. They come inside and are biting my family. I am in desperate need of some help for my home and my family. Is there anyone that can help me?

By Michelle W. from Port Allen, LA

Answers

Best Answer

It seems you may be asking for financial "help" from Thrifty community members so undoubtedly you do not realize that most of us are just trying to make ends meet and save a little for repairs when the time comes.

The first question - do you own the house?
If so you can go to all the usual places (mentioned before) and apply for assistance but most likely - if the house is in this much disrepair - you will be informed to find another place to live as you are placing yourself and your children in danger by living under these conditions.

I do not believe you will find anyone that will do this much repair so maybe you should just be asking for housing assistance - ask for information at the same place you applied for your other "entitlements".

My mother's toilet and shower don't work. She is 81 and living on a low income. She lives in Ft. Worth Texas. My friends want 5k to fix it. Some friends, huh? How can we get this fixed affordably?

Answers

Best Answer

Try this site for repairs:
SENIORS-National Council On Aging (NCOA)
The National Counseling On Aging has a free resource site:

www.BenefitsCheckUp.org

This site is a confidential and free and easy resource service to help people 55 years and older locate and apply for benefits. There are numerous financial assistance programs, both public and private, that can help struggling Seniors trying to make ends meet. The site has information on more than 2000 programs. Many are available to anyone in need who qualify, while others are available only to older adults and can help them retain their independence.
Benefit Types:
Food Assistance, Health Care, Prescription Drugs, Utility Assistance, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), low income housing, tax relief, respite care, free legal assistance and many other benefit programs are available.

To use the site, you enter basic information about the person in need-date of birth, zip code, and check boxes for what the person needs assistance with. The site generates a report instantly, listing links to the programs and services that the person may qualify for.
Some assistance programs can be applied for online while other have downloadable form to be printed and mailed, faxed or emailed in, and some require you to contact the program directly.
Benefits Enrollment Center
It is also possible to get help in person at a Benefits Enrollment Center. There are currently 36 centers in 24 states and 12 more will be added in 2016. Visit the online site for locations:

How can a disabled low income senior get help putting in a new sewer line? I live in Ruidoso, New Mexico.

Answers

Best Answer

Try these sites:

You can try this agency for possible help-scroll down to your state for the correct agency.

http://www.elde … te-resources.htm
https://www.dis … make-accessible/

Also:
https://www.dis … ies-individuals/

I am a senior who has a water leak that has leaked water onto the sidewalk. The leak is in my yard the city says. I am on fixed income. Where can I find help?

Answers

Best Answer

http://www.elde … te-resources.htm

I've been told that I have a hot water slab leak. I'm disabled and live on a fix income. The plumners tell me it's going to cost anywhere from $1000 to $7000 to fix and replace the pipes. I can't afford this cost. Do I have other opions?

By Joe

Answers

Best Answer

First, what is leaking? If you live in a large city their probably is an organization that your local social service would know of that does repairs for seniors or people of limited means. Or call a local church known for community work. They probably can think of something. Call Salvation Army or similar.

I'm having trouble with my plumbing and winterizing my home. I'm out of water as of now. I'm a one income household. Trying to live on $8.35 a hour. I'm attempting to pay heat, mortgage, electric, and all other bills. Could really use some help.

By Lisa

Answers

Best Answer

I bought a house that needed renovation just to bring it up to safe standards. Our winters get to -30 and the walls were cold. Lucky us the wall finish was wall board which we could pop off and reuse. The old disintegrating insulation was replaced then the wall covered with vapor barrier. We could immediately feel a difference as we worked around the house. That reduced heating costs. You can learn how to solder, call your friends until you find someone willing to teach you. Hubby told me if you think it's hot enough, get it hotter. He was right.

My septic tank is not working properly. Water is coming up out the ground. I've had it dug up and sucked out 6 months ago, and the company told me it would be at least 10,000 dollars to repair it. I do not have that kind of money; not even a quarter of that amount. I have bad credit, so no one will finance the work for me now. I don't know what to do. I need help very bad.

By Rodney W from Snell Ville, GA

Answers

Best Answer

Rodney, I'm not an expert, but I know a good bit about things such as this. Most likely, all you need is more field line(6"perforated flexible plastic pipe) added to your existing field line. Ask around and find someone who does this type of work, doesn't mind working and getting dirty,and will get the job done. This company is out to rob you; this is a half day job. This shouldn't cost but $1000-$1200. Don't let someone take advantage of you and rip you off!

I am a 66 year old female with a low fixed income. Currently the hot water faucet in my bathtub is leaking badly. In the past 48 hours the leak has put from one to three inches of warm water into the tub that I have plugged closed. Yesterday, October 12, 2014, I endeavered to do what repairs I could do myself. I purchased a package of replacement gaskets and some tools that I could use for the repair. I was successful in removing the handle, collar, and the 'hex shaped nut' holding the stem in place. Each of the mentioned item were badly covered in chemical crystal from water.
Now came the heartbreaking part. When I tried to pull the stem from the pipe, it wouldn't budge. I phoned a plumbing supply store to ask for assistance in what to do to remove the stem. Their answer was that I would have to use a blow torch to break the item loose.
I have no means to hire a plumber to do that service and know of no person who would be able to do that process. I then replaced the parts that had been removed, recaulked the area and turned the water back on.
Help! Where do I turn? Who can I call? Today, I phoned the water service department in my city and asked for help. Naturally, their answer was 'hire a plumber'. I then asked if it was permitted for me to turn off the water to my house. The answer was that the meter was city property and that I should call them to turn it off for me. As any damage would be my cost if I did it myself.
Any help would be welcome. Can there be a service available for my need?

By E. Brown

Answers

Best Answer

Check with your County Offices - the local Housing Finance Association (HFA) or HUD (Office of Housing and Urban Development) often have low income emergency home repair programs that can help you. You can also check with local churches, senior centers and see if they can connect you with local resources that can help.

I am a 64 year old senior on disability who needs help. I have a water leak in kitchen that has caused mold under my sink. This has caused the floor to rot. I am on a fixed income. Are there any government programs available for me? This mold is making me sick!

Answers

This site for seniors may help you:

www.BenefitsCheckUp.org
Benefit Types:
Benefits Enrollment Center
www.NCOA.org/centerforbenefits/becs

Where can I go to get a free new roof on my home. My insurance company has denied me twice my roof caved in I have used.all of my finances on repairs the mold is making me sick. Please help.

I am disabled for many years I do own my home but my Windows are leaking the wood I can put my finger through ,also my heater don't work right ,my floor in hall is week where the plywood is no good

Is there help for fixing my roof

I am a widow without a lot income; I am receiving Social Security Survivor benefits. I need to get some help to fix my pipes connected to my plumbing. They are cracked. They are galvanized pipes.

Answers

US Administration on Aging 800.677.1116 www.eldercare.gov-financial, employment, legal & caregiving help
www.BenefitsCheckUp.org
Benefit Types:
Benefits Enrollment Center
www.NCOA.org/centerforbenefits/becs
BottomLinePersonal.com050116-DCA

There are several government agencies that may be able to help you but, be aware, these agencies take time to process and approve any application. Habitat for Humanity may be able to help and may also be faster in getting it approved.
You may be able to get help through your local church or maybe one of your local companies (you may have to call around and see what is available).

Here are a couple of links to get you started.

https://www.benefitscheckup.org/#/

http://www.prog  ritical-care.php

I would go to HUD.org and look at resources for your state. Habitat for Humanity and local churches can help, too.

Are there any charitable companies or organizations that would assist us with a sink and toilet backup? We live in the Laurel Maryland area. My sister and I are on limited incomes due to cancer treatments. She with multiple myeloma and I with breast cancer. I have been working on it for over two weeks. It's in the basement where my sleeping quarters are. I could really use the help. Sincerest regards.

Answers

I would contact HUD.org, Habitat for Humanity or a local church.

I am a senior citizen living on Social Security only. I believe a pipe under my house has broken and the kitchen sink won't drain. A power snake would not open up the drain and came in contact with regular dirt. My house is built on a cement slab and the cement will have to be busted to do repairs, costing thousands of dollars. Where can I get help?

By Shirley

I was told there is a sewer lateral defect in my underground plumbing outside of my house that I'm responsible for. I don't have any money. I have tried the H.E.L.P program but was told that I am not eligible. My water has been turned off, because the defect was not fixed. I am a single mother who has been assisting my aunt who passed away in October from cervical cancer. I am just trying to get everthing back together at my house and now this. I really need help.

By Crystal

I am on disability and for a week I have no drainage in my home. I can't effort any plumber.
How can I get some help? It's an emergency! Where can I look?

By Marta