Fixing a Toilet Clogged By Paper Towels

Category Plumbing
One or two paper towels might easily flush down the toilet, however if someone puts a larger number down it will probably clog the plumbing. This is a guide about fixing a toilet clogged by paper towels.

My daughter has used a load of paper towels and put them in the toilet. Come to find out she has been doing it for a while. Now my toilet is clogged up. Can someone help me please?

By Lady Jay from Jacksonville, FL

Answers

By Dean (Guest Post)
Best Answer

What you need is called a snake. They come with enough length to go from the toilet to the street. You may be able to rent one from a home box store or a tool rental company. Otherwise let nature take its course and evenually the paper will dissipate on its own.

Best Answer

Try that once a month septic granules, I think it's called rid-x. It has enzymes that break down matter in a septic system so it should work for the paper towel clog.

Good luck !

My toilet is blocked with disposable towels.

Jill

Answers

Best Answer

Well, get yourself a snake from the local hardware store or farm store. You will use this enough to pay for it many times before hiring a plumber. If this is a severe problem, get the plumber. Sometimes you might find a handy neighbor or someone from church who can assist you.

DO NOT PUT disposable towels in the toilet. No diaper wipes, fabrics, etc. Flushable belongs to toilet paper only. With the plumbing you may have things caught in it all the way to the street. Trust me, our sewer just froze in the yard and we have been doing clean up from it doing a return visit.

The plumber, after hours fee and the follow up was not a bad price. Better than digging up your yard to follow the plugged line. That would be about $1000 instead of the #125 I paid. We also paid for a camera to be put down the next week so we could see extent of any damage, condition of the pipes (house is 100 yrs old) and it was pristine! I do not allow anything except a specific brand of TP used, and all other flushables (so the boxes say) must be trash basketed.

Best Answer

If the clog does not yield to a plunger, try a garden hose, using a gun-type nozzle to blast a jet of water up the trap of the toilet. Failing that you might have luck with a toilet snake.