Plumbing Repair for Low Income Homeowner

I am a 66 year old female with a low fixed income. Currently the hot water faucet in my bathtub is leaking badly. In the past 48 hours the leak has put from one to three inches of warm water into the tub that I have plugged closed. Yesterday, October 12, 2014, I endeavered to do what repairs I could do myself. I purchased a package of replacement gaskets and some tools that I could use for the repair. I was successful in removing the handle, collar, and the 'hex shaped nut' holding the stem in place. Each of the mentioned item were badly covered in chemical crystal from water.

Now came the heartbreaking part. When I tried to pull the stem from the pipe, it wouldn't budge. I phoned a plumbing supply store to ask for assistance in what to do to remove the stem. Their answer was that I would have to use a blow torch to break the item loose.
I have no means to hire a plumber to do that service and know of no person who would be able to do that process. I then replaced the parts that had been removed, recaulked the area and turned the water back on.
Help! Where do I turn? Who can I call? Today, I phoned the water service department in my city and asked for help. Naturally, their answer was 'hire a plumber'. I then asked if it was permitted for me to turn off the water to my house. The answer was that the meter was city property and that I should call them to turn it off for me. As any damage would be my cost if I did it myself.
Any help would be welcome. Can there be a service available for my need?

By E. Brown

Best Answer

Check with your County Offices - the local Housing Finance Association (HFA) or HUD (Office of Housing and Urban Development) often have low income emergency home repair programs that can help you. You can also check with local churches, senior centers and see if they can connect you with local resources that can help.