Cat Litter Clogged the Toilet

I have dumped the waste from the cat litter in the toilet about four times and there was no problem until the last time. The cat had a big clump and it wouldn't flush down. Now the toilet has cat litter that won't flush in it and when I flush, the water rises to the top of the bowl and within 5 minutes has gone back to normal. How do I fix this issue?

Best Answer

You will have to use a toilet auger to push it through the line and into the sewer system.

Best Answer

Your going to have to snake it. Cat liter is not supposed to go through the sewer system. It can harden like concrete and be several hundred dollars to several thousand if it hardens in the main line. I know--a renter did it to one of my houses.

Best Answer

A very simple way to do this is with a garden hose. Run it down the toilet and turn it on full force. This should force the clump through and you should be fine. I use a garden hose to unclog a toilet when my grandson stuffed 2 rolls of toilet paper down the toilet. It worked like a charm.

A plumbing snake would be useful. Cat litter cannot be flushed down the toilet, the box usually says DO NOT FLUSH or it's not advised.

I think you were lucky the first 4 times you flushed litter or maybe you poured it slowly and flushed at the same time?

• A garden hose is good to use if you have someplace to connect but this may not be feasible if you live in an apartment. (You may not even have a garden hose..).
  • You can rent an auger (or snake) at a rent-all company or maybe even some hardware stores.
  • This may be the only thing that could save you a costly plumbing bill.
  • Have you tried a regular sink/toilet plunger? This may work if it is not too clogged.
  • Otherwise, you can Google "rent an auger or snake" with your zip code and you should see several stores listed.
  • Call each one and get a price and availability.
  • These are not difficult to use but the store where you rent it should show you how to use it.

Be sure to make other plans for disposing of your cat litter in the future.