Legitimate Home Based Jobs Websites

Are there really jobs online that are not scams or illegal? Can I find a way to make money on the internet from home?

By Malorie from Glynn county, GA

They are scams. You can go to google.com and type in "Work at home scams" they will give you a lot of info.

The Top 10 Home-Based Business/Work-At-Home Scams

Note: These scams are not ranked by dollars lost or people scammed. In fact, there's nothing scientific about the list. It's just the ten home-based business scams we find the most disturbing.

10. Craft Assembly

This scam encourages you to assemble toys, dolls, or other craft projects at home with the promise of high per-piece rates. All you have to do is pay a fee up-front for the starter kit... which includes instructions and parts.

Sounds good? Well, once you finish assembling your first batch of crafts, you'll be told by the company that they "don't meet our specifications."

In fact, even if you were a robot and did it perfectly, it would be impossible for you to meet their specifications. The scammer company is making money selling the starter kits -- not selling the assembled product. So, you're left with a set of assembled crafts... and no one to sell them to.

9. Medical Billing

In this scam, you pay $300-$900 for everything (supposedly) you need to start your own medical billing service at home. You're promised state-of-the-art medical billing software, as well as a list of potential clients in your area.

What you're not told is that most medical clinics process their own bills, or outsource the processing to firms, not individuals. Your software may not meet their specifications, and often the lists of "potential clients" are outdated or just plain wrong.

As usual, trying to get a refund from the medical billing company is like trying to get blood from a stone.

8. Email Processing

This is a twist on the classic "envelope stuffing scam" (see #1 below). For a low price ($50?) you can become a "highly-paid" email processor working "from the comfort of your own home."

Now... what do you suppose an email processor does? If you have visions of forwarding or editing emails, forget it. What you get for your money are instructions on spamming the same ad you responded to in newsgroups and Web forums!

Think about it -- they offer to pay you $25 per email processed -- would any legitimate company pay that?

7. "A List of Companies Looking for Homeworkers!"

In this one, you pay a small fee for a list of companies looking for homeworkers just like you.

The only problem is that the list is usually a generic list of companies, companies that don't take homeworkers, or companies that may have accepted homeworkers long, long ago. Don't expect to get your money back with this one.

6. "Just Call This 1-900 Number For More Information..."

No need to spend too much time (or money) on this one. 1-900 numbers cost money to call, and that's how the scammers make their profit.

Save your money -- don't call a 1-900 number for more information about a supposed work-at-home job.

5. Typing At Home

If you use the Internet a lot, then odds are that you're probably a good typist. How better to capitalize on it than making money by typing at home?

Here's how it works: After sending the fee to the scammer for "more information," you receive a disk and printed information that tells you to place home typist ads and sell copies of the disk to the suckers who reply to you. Like #8, this scam tries to turn you into a scammer!

4. "Turn Your Computer Into a Money-Making Machine!"

Well, this one's at least half-true. To be completely true, it should read: "Turn your computer into a money-making machine... for spammers!"

This is much the same spam as #5, above. Once you pay your money, you'll be sent instructions on how to place ads and pull in suckers to "turn their computers into money-making machines."

3. Multi-Level Marketing (MLM)

If you've heard of network marketing (like Amway), then you know that there are legitimate MLM businesses based on agents selling products or services.

One big problem with MLMs, though, is when the pyramid and the ladder-climbing become more important than selling the actual product or service.

If the MLM business opportunity is all about finding new recruits rather than selling products or services, beware: The Federal Trade Commission may consider it to be a pyramid scheme... and not only can you lose all your money, but you can be charged with fraud, too!

We saw an interesting MLM scam recently: one MLM company advertised the product they were selling as FREE. The fine print, however, states that it is "free in the sense that you could be earning commissions and bonuses in excess of the cost of your monthly purchase of" the product. Does that sound like free to you?

2. Chain Letters/Emails ("Make Money Fast")

If you've been on the Internet for any length of time, you've probably received or at least seen these chain emails. They promise that all you have to do is send the email along plus some money by mail to the top names on the list, then add your name to the bottom... and one day you'll be a millionaire.

Actually, the only thing you might be one day is prosecuted for fraud. This is a classic pyramid scheme, and most times the names in the chain emails are manipulated to make sure only the people at the top of the list (the true scammers) make any money.

This scam should be called "Lose Money Fast" -- and it's illegal.

1. Envelope Stuffing

This is THE classic work-at-home scam. It's been around since the U.S. Depression of the 1920s and 1930s, and it's moved onto the Internet like a cockroach you just can't eliminate.

There are several variations, but here's a sample: Much like #5 and #4 above, you are promised to be paid $1-2 for every envelope you stuff. All you have to do is send money and you're guaranteed "up to 1,000 envelopes a week that you can stuff... with postage and address already affixed!"

When you send your money, you get a short manual with flyer templates you're supposed to put up around town, advertising yet another harebrained work-from-home scheme.

And the pre-addressed, pre-paid envelopes? Well, when people see those flyers, all they have to do is send you $2.00 in a pre-addressed, pre-paid envelope. Then you stuff that envelope with another flyer and send it to them.

Ingenious perhaps... but certainly illegal and unethical.

MyPoints.com is another paid to click program. I've been with them for years. I just recently redeemed points for a $50 Wal-Mart gift card.

Amazon's Mechanical Turk is legit. (www.mturk.com) The pay is quite low but once you find which tasks you're good at, you can make some money at home.

January 29, 2012 Flag

I'm 15 and I'm looking for something I can do at home to earn money. I have looked at cashcrate and inbox something or other, but I couldn't really understand it. I have a cousin who might be pregnant (really it's not me it's my older cousin) and I told her if she is I will help.

The thing is I'm in high school and college at the same time so I have a lot of work. I am just looking for a job at home that's simple and will pay. I'm not asking for a lot of pay, just some. Her mother told her if she was, she wasn't helping and that she would be kicked out which really isn't fair considering she had her at her age and my grandmother had her at a younger age. So any way I'm pretty much all she has and I feel like I need to help. So here I am and I do work on Fridays babysitting, so that's being put up too. Please help. Thank you and God bless.

By 3hollywoodundead3 from Akron, OH

I agree that social services can give significant assistance that you could not. That is the way to go! And you can be there for moral support and some mother's helper time, but only if you have extra time, and it sounds like you don't. My dad also was in college at age 15, and that is really wonderful.

As far as your earning $, you could tutor (your home or theirs), private or group classes. You could even tutor over the internet or telephone. When I was your age, I did pastel portraits of pets! Now I work from home as a transcriptionist, and it is not easy to make a buck even at home and it takes a very, very long time, maybe years, to be good at making that buck.

You did not say what your skills are (computer, etc), but there is always a need for people who are willing and skilled! Make some note cards or fliers to post on your local store bulletin board; let the librarian know you want to do reading to kids, hold exercise groups in your room for kids (just dancing, getting away from television). Stick with what you know.

Please encourage your cousin to visit a local pro-life (make sure it's pro-life--her baby deserves to live!) CPC (crisis pregnancy center). They provide loving help for moms and babies. I have worked with some for years, and can tell you they offer hope. Quite unlike the terrible despair of abortion which discourages and despairs and says "your life and your baby's life will be horrible." (and much $$ is made off this!) There is a future ahead for this baby. I'm so thankful your cousin is choosing life! The organization 'Silent No More,' made up of post-abortive women, is trying to warn women against abortion, because they see the immense damage abortion does in so many ways--to women and society in general. Also contact Live Action, (ALL) American Life League, or other pro-life organizations. They tell the truth and they respect lives. CPCs help women and babies, and do it lovingly.

Remember: you are wonderful for wanting to help your cousin, but it's not all up to you. Do what you can, that's great, but also steer her to a pro-life CPC. As for jobs, check summer employment at garden centers and such, and hospitals, stores, fast food places, etc. Check through your school, too. They may have connections.

I will pray for you, your cousin, and her precious baby. Bless you all.

I think she is asking for a way to make some extra cash, and not for all this advice concerning her cousin! You could try a pet sitting or dog walking business, dog walking only takes an hour a day, and pays well, or you could try cleaning houses, again, about an hour or 2 a day, or cut grass, shovel snow, do grocery shopping for shut ins. Each take about an hour a day. Good luck with all your problems.

I think most "online jobs" are scams and would advise you to not pursue that.

Perhaps you could do some typing for people. Tutoring would be an excellent idea.

As far as your cousin goes, I, as an adoptive mom, wholeheartedly endorse adoption. Very few teenagers are ready to be parents and all that it entails. Open adoptions would enable her to have information and pictures of the child as it grows and she would bless three people (the couple and the baby) with a family they desperately want. So many people are heartbroken because they are infertile and waiting, waiting, waiting forever for a baby.

November 21, 2011 Flag

I've heard a lot about working online from home, and I would love to add those opportunities to my job search. Of course, I've encountered a lot of opportunities that were either ridiculous scams, or required a lot of money to be invested. I know there are free sites you can join where you get paid to take surveys, but they only pay about 10 cents for every survey you take, and that's only if you qualify.

Naturally, I've applied for quite a few conventional jobs. You know the ones where you show your resume, tell them your skills, give them your information, and if you're lucky, get called back for an interview. They've all fallen through for one reason or another, though. I never got called back.

I'm certainly not looking to become a millionaire. I've seen sites that claim you can make $2000 a month or more. I'm not saying that's impossible, but there always seems to be a catch. Either you have to invest a thousand to hopefully get two thousand back, or the offer requires you to do something very risky. Either way, I'm looking to work; not to gamble. I just want something that will allow me to contribute to this family without investing my entire bank account in the hope I'll get it all back with even more. I don't care if I only make, well, even 300 a month for starters.

I'm still try looking to go to a potential career developing school in the near future, or get a conventional job, but in the meantime, I really want to be putting some of my own earnings into our savings.

Does anyone know of something that isn't a scam, doesn't have a serious catch in the fine print, doesn't come with any huge fees, but can potentially earn someone at least a little money?

I don't want to buy someone's products and sell them to people for a small profit. I don't want to start an internet marketing business.

I just want to do something where I'm told the work I need to get done, and get paid accordingly. Is there something like this in existence, or am I just dreaming? I'm not opposed to the idea that I might not be thinking realistically here.

I'm just tired of hearing "It's so easy, anyone can do it", or, "no experience required", only to have my hopes shed when I read the fine print. Unluckily I have fallen for scams, but I want to know whether I'm going in the right direction so I can at least start on the right path towards success. Don't worry. I'm perfectly aware that I need to work for my earnings, but I'm willing to do that. I just need the opportunity.

Your humble support on my behalf is appreciated.

With my best regards to everyone at Thriftyfun.

By zulfimack from Colombo, Western Province, Sri Lanka

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Check with McDonald's. They in my area hire to have a rep take orders from home. Also check with call centers in your area. They may have you work from home. I know several people who are working for Mcdonald's this way and they love it.

Use this link: http://www.komando.com/columns/index.aspx?id=11051&page=6

This woman has a nationwide newsletter that helps you find things on your computer and other equipment. I have found her newsletters very beneficial.

Budget & Finance Employment Finding a JobSeptember 10, 2010
Yellow Oil Paint
Using Oil Based Paint
woman web browsing
Finding the Best Coupon Websites
Man Working at Home
Rural Work at Home Ideas
A woman working from home.
Finding Legitimate Work From Home Jobs
🎄