Getting a Job as a Longshoreman

Category Finding a Job
These union positions have a long and honoured history in the US. This page is about getting a job as a longshoreman.

How do I go about applying for a job as a longshoreman?

By Montez from Brunswick, GA

Answers

Best Answer

Hello,
My uncle was a longshoreman. He said to go to the local Longshoreman's Union and sign up. There are also ships that go to dangerous places so please be careful and ask for their destination and stops in between. Good luck, you will make good $.

Best Answer

I would imagine you should check with the different shipping companies. You could even check with your local job service.

Best Answer

You could try to contact an International Longshoreman's Union in Newark. Here is a list of eight ILA unions in New Jersey: www.unions.org/.../16

Best Answer

Everyone is a little off. I'm a casual working in the Port of Seattle. Basically, you have to wait until there is a signup for your area. PMA (Pacific Marine Association) will usually have that information because they are the ones that pay to train you.

Thousands apply, then they shuffle all of the applicants and you hope you get picked. You don't have to be a union member to initially get in. It takes awhile you have to be patient. I got on the training list and it took me 4 1/2 years to get my first shift. No training is required because they train within.

When do the books open to sign up for a longshoreman?

By Jamal

Answers

You will have to check your local area.

Surely you should be asking at the port or at the union hall. I can't think why people on a site about thrift would be expected to have detailed knowledge about longshoreman jobs.

You also didn't mention where you are and that probably makes a difference.

If someone put 2 stamps on interest card is the person auto disqualified?

Where do I apply for a longshoreman job?

By Kevin

How do I get work as a longshoreman in Newark New Jersey?

Sylvester

Answers

You could try to contact an International Longshoreman's Union in Newark. Here is a list of eight ILA unions in New Jersey:
www.unions.org/.../new-je ... onal-longshoremen%27s-association/16

Oops! My first post had a link that did not work. Try this one:
www.unions.org/.../16

I am looking to start in the longshoreman field. My background as a fisherman should show I can take long days and bad weather.

Where can I start and is there anyplace in the northeast relative to Connecticut and Rhode Island?

I have been working as a class A truck driver for 2 years. I have wanted to work as a longshoreman, for the past 13 years. I never seem to get the right information. What am I doing wrong? I need your help. Thanks.

By Preston from Los Angeles, CA

Answers

Here's an overview: www.ehow.com/how_8018167_longshoreman-job.html

What is up with all the longshoreman inquiries on this site, it seem like there is a new one every month.

If you're getting wrong information it might be because you're asking on a thrift board, not on a longshoreman, job-finding or union site. Use Google or Bing or any search engine to find the resources in your area.

How do you obtain an employment application for a longshoreman position in Hampton Roads Virginia?

By joy2world2

Answers

Specific questions like this are more likely to find an answer on a search engine. I typed: employment application for a longshoreman position in Hampton Roads Virginia? into a search engine and got relevant results immediately.

Where do you apply for longshoreman jobs in California?

By Rodney

Answers

I would try Long Beach Harbor first. After that try The Port of Los Angeles, San Pedro Harbor , San Deigo Harbor (Military harbor).

First, you have to be a union member to work the docks. Go to the union business office in the city they are located or the union hall and inquire about joining the union and working the docks.

Then get help from the union for employment. If you are not a union member you won't get to work the docks.

I would like to be a longshoreman. I would like to become a Casual. Hopefully, make union one day. I'm just not sure if I'm ready yet. I am from the upper middle class suburbs from Connecticut. I was wondering is there anychance of someone from my walk of life getting a chance at the greatest professional in the world?

PS., I'm not some kid who watched Season 2 of the Wire and decided this was for me. I'm doing boxing, lifting, running, mixtures of the combos. I don't know how strong you have to be. If I'm not strong enough yet would it be alright if I tried out again? I'm not strong then I will be in the gym strong. It goes without saying there will be people stronger. But all my boxing coaches and wrestling coaches will tell you there are few few people who can maintain my energy level for a long time.

I know the unfortunate thing is tragedy does strike. I realize a longshoreman can give powerliftings a run for the money in the strength department. My mom is scared, but I have to make my own path. I've worked jobs with sadistic supervisors before. I hope that there is no violence at the docks like there used to be. I don't scare easily. I understand the cultures of the docks. I just want to do my job, earn the respect for the casuals and the union men and women.

By Ryan F. from Milford, CT

Answers

Don't know what the east coast longshore process is but I am female Longshoreman in California. You can only apply when a casual process is opened. We haven't done it here since 2003.

Working out has nothing to do with the job, most everything is done by containers for the past 40 years. I am 48 years old as and still lash with the boys (I am not a crazy fitness freak, actually a few pounds overweight and only 5'4). Check with your local union to see when casual process is open. Used to be on the west coast only way in was through another Longshore man but that was changed in the last processing period. Hope this helps you out.

I am on the list to get hired. How do I find out my place on the list?

By Derek

Answers

Just checking how long the wait list is before they call me.

How old do you have to be to become a longshoreman?

By Ta'Quan

Answers

Hi - I do not know the age requirement but I do know there is a lot more to it than just your age.
Google your question and you will find your answer and hopefully lots of information to get you started.

May take many months/years to get one of these jobs.

How can I get a job as a longshoreman?

By Mike

Answers

www.wikihow.com/Become-a-Longshoreman

I am interested in applying for a longshoreman position locally, but 16 years ago, I committed a felony, assault and battery in a high and aggravated nature. I completed my probation sentence and have never been in any trouble since. Will I meet the qualifications for a longshoreman and to get a TWIC card?

By John

Answers

Regarding the TWIC card, go to www.tsa.gov and review the list under Disqualification, waivers and appeals.

Where do I apply to be a longshoreman in Baltimore?

By Michael

Answers

If I'm not mistaken, longshoreman have a long and honoured history in the US as strictly union, so your best first stop would be here:

www.ilaunion.org/

Good luck, this is a very strenuous occupation, but one in which the labour is much needed by anyone who purchases any food, household supplies, clothing, and luxury goods!

How do I get an application for a longshoreman job?

By Jeremiah

Answers

Call or go to the closest union hall for your area for information. I say that because I am pretty sure most longshoreman jobs are unionized. I hope someone will correct be if I am wrong.

I am currently employed for the past 20 years as a longshoreman superintendent for a very reputable shipping company in South Africa. Is it possible to obtain a similar vacancy in the states? I am qualified in all aspects of stevedoring and also have a riggers certificate.

By Fayal from Richards Bay, South Africa

How do I apply for a longshoreman position in San Francisco, California?

By Mike J from San Francisco, CA

Load More

Budget & Finance Employment Finding a JobFebruary 10, 2013
🌻
😎
😷
📓
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf11579236.tip.html