Getting a Job as a Longshoreman

Category Finding a Job
Longshoreman at Work
These union positions have a long and honoured history in the US. This guide is about getting a job as a longshoreman.

How do I go about applying for a job as a longshoreman?

By Montez from Brunswick, GA

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

Hello,

My uncle was a longshoreman. He said to go to the local Longshoreman's Union and sign up. There are also ships that go to dangerous places so please be careful and ask for their destination and stops in between. Good luck, you will make good $.

Best Answer

I would imagine you should check with the different shipping companies. You could even check with your local job service.

Best Answer

You could try to contact an International Longshoreman's Union in Newark. Here is a list of eight ILA unions in New Jersey: http://www.unio  s-association/16

Best Answer

Everyone is a little off. I'm a casual working in the Port of Seattle. Basically, you have to wait until there is a signup for your area. PMA (Pacific Marine Association) will usually have that information because they are the ones that pay to train you.

Thousands apply, then they shuffle all of the applicants and you hope you get picked. You don't have to be a union member to initially get in. It takes awhile you have to be patient. I got on the training list and it took me 4 1/2 years to get my first shift. No training is required because they train within.

When do the books open to sign up for a longshoreman?

By Jamal

Answer Was this helpful? 1

You will have to check your local area.

Surely you should be asking at the port or at the union hall. I can't think why people on a site about thrift would be expected to have detailed knowledge about longshoreman jobs. You also didn't mention where you are and that probably makes a difference.

If someone put 2 stamps on interest card is the person auto disqualified?

Isn't there a longshoremans union or something you could call and ask? I doubt you are going to find very many longshoreman on here...

I am looking to start in the longshoreman field. My background as a fisherman should show I can take long days and bad weather. Where can I start and is there anyplace in the northeast relative to Connecticut and Rhode Island?

Good Luck!!! I am very familiar with this area from long experience in a related field. The very lucrative Longshore field is completely controlled by the very strong Longshoreman's Union and worker seniority is king. People do not leave the union as the pay is so high. The only way you can work as a Longshoreman is by joining the union (very difficult!) and signing up for work. However, new people rarely get any work as work assignments are completely controlled by seniority.

I encourage you to investigate the union possibilities in your area but do not expect your past work experience to count in any way.

Good Luck!!! I am very familiar with this field from long experience in a related area. You must be a Longshoreman's Union member in high seniority to get work assignments in any area of the US. Joining the union is difficult and expecting any work is much more than difficult!!! You must be a union member of longstanding to expect any work assignments and people who do find work in the field rarely leave because of the high pay rates.

I encourage you to check with your local Longshore Union to learn more but do not expect open arms! I hope you have a back up job or plan!!!

I'm trying to become a longshoreman looking for employment I really like working with Outdoors people I really like fishing

Where do I apply for a longshoreman job?

By Kevin

Applying for a Longshore job takes a bit of time, however, actually working in a job takes seniority, much seniority!

Apply to the union.

Apply to the union.

I have been working as a class A truck driver for 2 years. I have wanted to work as a longshoreman, for the past 13 years. I never seem to get the right information. What am I doing wrong? I need your help. Thanks.

By Preston from Los Angeles, CA

Here's an overview: http://www.ehow  horeman-job.html

What is up with all the longshoreman inquiries on this site, it seem like there is a new one every month.

If you're getting wrong information it might be because you're asking on a thrift board, not on a longshoreman, job-finding or union site. Use Google or Bing or any search engine to find the resources in your area.

Anonymous

You have to know somebody who works at the docks if you want to get in. They can get you an application. They hand them out every 5 years. I'm a casual. My mom is an A book. She got me in.

Where do you apply for longshoreman jobs in California?

By Rodney

I would try Long Beach Harbor first. After that try The Port of Los Angeles, San Pedro Harbor , San Deigo Harbor (Military harbor).

First, you have to be a union member to work the docks. Go to the union business office in the city they are located or the union hall and inquire about joining the union and working the docks. Then get help from the union for employment. If you are not a union member you won't get to work the docks.

How do I get work as a longshoreman in Newark New Jersey?

Sylvester

You could try to contact an International Longshoreman's Union in Newark. Here is a list of eight ILA unions in New Jersey:

http://www.unio  rg/unions/new-je ... onal-longshoremen%27s-association/16

Oops! My first post had a link that did not work. Try this one:

http://www.unio  s-association/16

I would like to be a longshoreman. I would like to become a Casual. Hopefully, make union one day. I'm just not sure if I'm ready yet. I am from the upper middle class suburbs from Connecticut. I was wondering is there anychance of someone from my walk of life getting a chance at the greatest professional in the world?

PS., I'm not some kid who watched Season 2 of the Wire and decided this was for me. I'm doing boxing, lifting, running, mixtures of the combos. I don't know how strong you have to be. If I'm not strong enough yet would it be alright if I tried out again? I'm not strong then I will be in the gym strong. It goes without saying there will be people stronger. But all my boxing coaches and wrestling coaches will tell you there are few few people who can maintain my energy level for a long time.

I know the unfortunate thing is tragedy does strike. I realize a longshoreman can give powerliftings a run for the money in the strength department. My mom is scared, but I have to make my own path. I've worked jobs with sadistic supervisors before. I hope that there is no violence at the docks like there used to be. I don't scare easily. I understand the cultures of the docks. I just want to do my job, earn the respect for the casuals and the union men and women.

By Ryan F. from Milford, CT

Don't know what the east coast longshore process is but I am female Longshoreman in California. You can only apply when a casual process is opened. We haven't done it here since 2003.

Working out has nothing to do with the job, most everything is done by containers for the past 40 years. I am 48 years old as and still lash with the boys (I am not a crazy fitness freak, actually a few pounds overweight and only 5'4). Check with your local union to see when casual process is open. Used to be on the west coast only way in was through another Longshore man but that was changed in the last processing period. Hope this helps you out.

I am on the list to get hired. How do I find out my place on the list?

By Derek

Just checking how long the wait list is before they call me.

How old do you have to be to become a longshoreman?

By Ta'Quan

Hi - I do not know the age requirement but I do know there is a lot more to it than just your age.

Google your question and you will find your answer and hopefully lots of information to get you started.

May take many months/years to get one of these jobs.

How can I get a job as a longshoreman?

By Mike

http://www.wiki  e-a-Longshoreman

I am interested in applying for a longshoreman position locally, but 16 years ago, I committed a felony, assault and battery in a high and aggravated nature. I completed my probation sentence and have never been in any trouble since. Will I meet the qualifications for a longshoreman and to get a TWIC card?

By John

Regarding the TWIC card, go to www.tsa.gov and review the list under Disqualification, waivers and appeals.

How do you obtain an employment application for a longshoreman position in Hampton Roads Virginia?

By joy2world2

Specific questions like this are more likely to find an answer on a search engine. I typed: employment application for a longshoreman position in Hampton Roads Virginia? into a search engine and got relevant results immediately.

Where do I apply to be a longshoreman in Baltimore?

By Michael

If I'm not mistaken, longshoreman have a long and honoured history in the US as strictly union, so your best first stop would be here:

http://www.ilaunion.org/

Good luck, this is a very strenuous occupation, but one in which the labour is much needed by anyone who purchases any food, household supplies, clothing, and luxury goods!

How do I get an application for a longshoreman job?

By Jeremiah

Anonymous

Call or go to the closest union hall for your area for information. I say that because I am pretty sure most longshoreman jobs are unionized. I hope someone will correct be if I am wrong.

I am currently employed for the past 20 years as a longshoreman superintendent for a very reputable shipping company in South Africa. Is it possible to obtain a similar vacancy in the states? I am qualified in all aspects of stevedoring and also have a riggers certificate.

By Fayal from Richards Bay, South Africa

How do I apply for a longshoreman position in San Francisco, California?

By Mike J from San Francisco, CA

2012---Recent lottery was drawn for San Diego port. Out of 12-15000 applications they cut it down to a final 500. Word is they went through the first 100 names to fill another 40 casuals. I am number 109 on that list. Anyone have any insight at all on what number they stopped on or when they will start training the rest? Thank you.

By Alex

How do I go about filling out application for employment?

By Tony Long Beach, CA

How can I get casual longshoreman work?

Tony from New York City, NY

How do I become a longshoreman employee?

By Andrew from Newport News, VA

Can someone help me with information about how to join longshoreman? I have my TWIC and passport. Please help a shipmate.

By Lavelle from Newport News, VA

Answers:

Getting a Job as a Longshoreman

Hello,
My uncle was a longshoreman. He said to go to the local Longshoreman's Union and sign up. There are also ships that go to dangerous places, so please be careful and ask for their destination and stops in between.

Good luck, you will make good money. (06/03/2010)

By K9cats

How do I get a job as a longshoreman? I have my twic card.

By Michael from Richmond, CA

Answers:

Getting a Job as a Longshoreman

Why don't you go the the longshoreman's union in San Francisco and inquire there? Good luck. (03/16/2010)

By K9cats

I was interested in a crane job with the longshoreman union. Does having 25 years experience, National Crane Certification, and being a military veteran help in accomplishing this? Thank you for your advice.

By GOMEZ150 from Chicago, IL

Answers:

Getting a Job as a Longshoreman

I would go, call, or write to the local union for crane operators and ask them about joining the union and how to go about getting a job as a crane operator. (06/09/2009)

By foxrun41

Getting a Job as a Longshoreman

I would think all of this will be beneficial to you. My husband's employers were all impressed with his military experience. Just be sure to bring your paperwork with you upon interview, it will show you are organized and well prepared. Good luck! (07/05/2009)

By MyGreenEyedBabies

I want a job as a longshoreman. Can anyone help me obtain information on this subject?

Christopher from Brooklyn, NY

Answers:

Getting a Job as a Longshoreman

Maybe try the ILWU? (International Longshoreman and Warehouse (?) Union) I think their website is www.ilwu.org (09/22/2008)

By Fred

Getting a Job as a Longshoreman

I have information and paperwork to share with anyone who is interested in becoming a longshoreman on the West Coast-ILWU jurisdiction. You may call me at (510) 614-2763 and I will mail you information that you may find beneficial. My name is Joe. (10/10/2008)

By ILWU "permissive rule"

Getting a Job as a Longshoreman

I have been doing longshoreman work since I was a senior in high school, now its strictly when I have two weeks off from my rig offshore. All you need is to go down to your local ILA and get a card. You will start off as casual but the more hours u work then u will get a permanent position or seniority. It is rewarding work and extra money. (10/29/2008)

By Thomas

Getting a Job as a Longshoreman

They pushed the TWIC requirement back to Sept. 2009 because they underestimated the number of people required to have one by 2,000,000. I'm an Un-ID in Seattle and it is absolutely dead right now. There are 3000 Un-Id's and not one has worked in 3 months. (11/21/2008)

By M.R.

hey peoples

My dad's a longshoreman in LA, CA. Right now you got to have a diploma and a drivers license to get in there guys. If you don't got one of those things cant get in. I think I'll be getting in soon when my dad gets in. You got to put 2500 hours in to become a full time worker but you are not guaranteed to work everyday. (11/30/2008)

By joe

Getting a Job as a Longshoreman

Here's how you apply for a job in NY and NJ. You can obtain information at Tyler St. inside the port of NJ. Its called the Waterfront. If you are coming in from the N end,follow signs into the port, 3rd traffic light MLK, 1st building on R is the Waterfront building. It's right across the street from a gas station. Good luck. I worked there. Lisa (01/05/2009)

By Anonymous

I need some one to help me to go through the procedures of becoming a longshoreman. I tried to find out but I can't find any steps.