Getting a Job as a Longshoreman

How do I go about applying for a job as a longshoreman?

By Montez from Brunswick, GA

Best Answer

Hello,
My uncle was a longshoreman. He said to go to the local Longshoreman's Union and sign up. There are also ships that go to dangerous places so please be careful and ask for their destination and stops in between. Good luck, you will make good $.

I Was a longshoreman loved it shipping & scalers union best job of my life peir 70 single dad looking to return to the docks

I would like to know the qualifications of being a longshoreman

Best Answer

I would imagine you should check with the different shipping companies. You could even check with your local job service.

Best Answer

You could try to contact an International Longshoreman's Union in Newark. Here is a list of eight ILA unions in New Jersey: www.unions.org/.../16

Best Answer

Everyone is a little off. I'm a casual working in the Port of Seattle. Basically, you have to wait until there is a signup for your area. PMA (Pacific Marine Association) will usually have that information because they are the ones that pay to train you.

Thousands apply, then they shuffle all of the applicants and you hope you get picked. You don't have to be a union member to initially get in. It takes awhile you have to be patient. I got on the training list and it took me 4 1/2 years to get my first shift. No training is required because they train within.

You seem to be the most accurate, so maybe you can answer this question for me? If I'm already on the list (I've still got about 3 more years or so before I'm in) can the casual who gave me their interest card take that away and would that get me off the list? Basically, the person is threatening to "take their card back" saying that it'll remove me from the list so I'm just trying to figure out if that's really possible.

What do you mean that it took 4.5 years before you received your 1st shift?... Wow!, so you don't just pay your dues you also have to wait a long period of time for acceptance?... That means no benefits for 4.5 years let along being able to become an actual Longshoreman & not just a Casual?...

I was hoping that it only took as long as it took for you to pay for it... Meaning there's a cost to become a Longshoreman as well as a Casual... So it do not quite works that way?

Besides what redhatterb suggested you can also call Longshoreman unions in or near your area for information.

Checking with a lot of shipping companies. Try Googling it for the opportunities available.

Please kindly send me the po box mailing address of ilwu casual hiring in longbeach CA thank you.very much for your time.

Budget & Finance Employment Finding a JobJanuary 27, 2011
🍀
💘