Use Steel Cans In The Garden

contest winner icon

One of the ways I recycle is by burying my steel cans in my garden, I leave the bottoms on and I bury them about 12 in. deep open side up. I fill the canned with compost and then plant above it. If I'm doing row planting, I will bury a roll of cans and plant above them. The cans will eventually rust away after a couple of years and in the process add much-needed iron to my clay soil.

I also take 1 gallon cans cut off the bottom and put them on the surface of the ground between my tomato plants, I push them in about an inch or so, then I fill them about half full with fresh compost and use this for watering. I fill it up with water and it slowly trickles through. We're in another drought here in Southern California.

By Babette from Lemon Grove

Three cheers for you! We all need to do as much as possible to reuse and recycle anything that we can. I think your idea is great and will try that in my garden this year! Thanks for sharing the great ideas!

Oh wow, I actually have some cans that I was wondering what to do with.

Where do you find steel cans? All I see are the tin ones used for food.

Won't a tiller get the buried ones?

Congratulations for winning the contest!

San Diego, CA

90% of the cans made in the U.S. today are made out of ten-coated steel, according to the history channel

I have never used a tiller in my garden; I dont walk on my planting areas. My beds are no more than 4 ft. wide so no need to walk on them and compress the soil therefore I do not need a tiller a garden fork works just fine to loosen the soil.

Reusing Aluminum (Tin) Cans
Reusing Tin Cans
Better Living Green Living ReusingJanuary 25, 2008
Tuna Cans
Uses for Tuna Cans
paint can with red paint
Painting Stainless Steel
A badly burned stainless steel pan
Cleaning Stainless Steel Cookware
Stainless Steel Cookware
Switching to Stainless Steel Cookware