Use Egg Cartons to Keep Squash Off the Ground

Use egg cartons to prop your vegetables up out of the dirt in your garden when they get too heavy. I had a squash laying in the dirt and was trying to think what to use to prop it up as it continued to grow. I cut 2 egg cups from an egg carton and placed it under the squash - outside up. Now it is high and dry. You could stake the egg carton in place with a skewer if needed.

By TraceyI from Jacksonville, FL

That's a very good idea. I have been using pieces of wood, but egg cartons is better.

I use regular tomato cages around my squash, eggplants, cukes, etc. and the cage holds the plant and fruit off the ground. Better air flow too.

Great idea!

Seedlings in a egg carton.
Uses for Egg Cartons
Home and Garden Gardening Helpful HintsApril 17, 2009
Closeup of blue flowering creeping charlie.
Getting Rid of Ground Ivy (Creeping Charlie)
Egg Carton Pumpkin
Crafts Using Egg Cartons
Pickled Pumpkin
Pickled Squash Recipes
summer squash
Drying Squash