Use A Salt Solution For Your Icy Driveway

If you need to salt your driveway or stairs, try this. My salt from last winter absorbed some moisture during the fall, and the salt bucket had as much water in it as salt. I scooped up a bunch of both and spread it out and had great results! The water becomes salty, so the water *and* the salt clear the ice! Make it really soupy so the water spreads way out. I tossed a bunch onto my ice-covered driveway from inside my garage door, and half the driveway ice melted.

By Polly from Cedar Springs, MI

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

They say NOT to put salt on cement or asphalt cause it will cause

pitting etc. So what now?

Besides ruining the concrete, it also kills grass, shrubs, and other landscaping. You should never use salt, but rather get stuff called Ice Melt etc that doesn't harm the concrete or the landscaping, grass, etc. It is made especially for your driveways & walks.

Do make sure you don't get any where you want things to grow or on the edges if you have grass there. The salt won't do the growing things a bit of good.

I use Ice melt. Last year's had hardened into a block. I've just chopped it with a little shovel and have alot more to go. Is there any way to keep the moisture from getting at this stuff? I have a 25 pound bag.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

man slipping on ice
Removing Ice on Sidewalks and Driveways
Home and Garden Home Improvement Helpful HintsJanuary 8, 2009
rock salt next to grinder and pile of coarsely ground salt
Getting Rid of Weeds with Salt
A pair of tan suede boots.
Removing Salt Stains from Suede Boots
A salt dough ornament on a Christmas tree.
Making Salt Dough Ornaments
Up close photo of a dirty driveway.
Removing Oil Spills from Your Driveway
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 29, 2016 at 6:12:22 AM on 10.0.1.54 in 350 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.