Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Use A Salt Solution For Your Icy Driveway

If you need to salt your driveway or stairs, try this. My salt from last winter absorbed some moisture during the fall, and the salt bucket had as much water in it as salt. I scooped up a bunch of both and spread it out and had great results! The water becomes salty, so the water *and* the salt clear the ice! Make it really soupy so the water spreads way out. I tossed a bunch onto my ice-covered driveway from inside my garage door, and half the driveway ice melted.

By Polly from Cedar Springs, MI

By

Feedback Forum

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By Linda Jones [13]01/10/2009

I use Ice melt. Last year's had hardened into a block. I've just chopped it with a little shovel and have alot more to go. Is there any way to keep the moisture from getting at this stuff? I have a 25 pound bag.

By Linda Jones [13]01/10/2009

By Mary (Guest Post)01/08/2009

Do make sure you don't get any where you want things to grow or on the edges if you have grass there. The salt won't do the growing things a bit of good.

By Mary (Guest Post)01/08/2009

Besides ruining the concrete, it also kills grass, shrubs, and other landscaping. You should never use salt, but rather get stuff called Ice Melt etc that doesn't harm the concrete or the landscaping, grass, etc. It is made especially for your driveways & walks.

By Ariela [31]01/08/2009

They say NOT to put salt on cement or asphalt cause it will cause
pitting etc. So what now?

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to share feedback.