Add Cake Trimmings To Frosted Middle Layer

contest winner icon

When making cake frosting and filling, set aside a portion of it for the filling. When you have to level your cake layers, just make the trimmings into crumbs and add them to the filling portion. Frost the cake top and sides with the rest of your frosting. Using the cake "crumbs" extends the filling, and it makes it even better too.

Source: I found this out all by myself when I decided I no longer needed to eat all those cake trimmings. I was getting rounder all the time, but I couldn't bear to just throw them away, so I used them before I could change my mind.

By Pookarina from Boca Raton, FL

Great idea. Thanks

lol! We're going to have to try this one. And here I've been, trying to keep the crumbs out of the frosting... :D

Don't make a cake often but that is a good idea.

I really think this is a great idea, the most innovative one in a long time in fact. You're using the cake crumbs in the filling part only, and keeping the frosting portion free of crumbs which is easy enough to do just by making the first light layer of frosting very thin which seals the cake, then just use the rest of the frosting to fancy it up. I've seen many bakers level cakes and they call the little bit of cake that's being removed, "cook's treat". I've eaten my share of those too.

I see an entire new way of filling and frosting a cake in my future. For many cakes, a little jelly could be added to the filling along with the crumbs to keep it very moist and spreadable. I can't wait to try this. I've never seen this idea in any cookbook either.

Thank you Pookarina.

I have been doing this for a long time for the same reason, to stop the through the lips and onto the hips syndrome. I have suffered from this for years, Thrifty Fun shows me that I have many mates. Thank you Jean, Maffra, Gippsland Australia.

This is a good idea, and one I'll gladly use.

Thank you.

Good way to extend the frosting and making the cake a little taller. I'll bet it'd work if you added pudding to the cake crumbs too. This is something I'm going to have to try. Smart idea. Thanks for sharing it.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Baking CakesJuly 12, 2011
cake baking in the oven
Cake Sinks in the Middle
Strawberry Layer Cake
Making a Layer Cake
Lamington Cakes
Lamington Recipes