How Do I Prevent Cake Frosting From Melting?

Category Cakes
Your cake must be cool before you frost it so the icing does not melt. This is a guide about how do I prevent cake frosting from melting?

How do you get cream cheese icing (frosting) to stiffen up? It always ends up running off my cake.

By Sandy

Answers

Best Answer

Your cake has to be absolutely cool before applying the frosting. Wait at least 4 hours after baking.

Best Answer

Firstly, try chilling your cake. After it cools, put it in the frige for about an hour. Next use 4 ounces cream cheese, 1/2 t lemon juice, 1/2 t vanilla, and as much powdered sugar as needed to make a god stiff frosting. Bring the cream cheese to room temperature, then whip everything together.

How do bakeries keep butter cream frosting from melting in hot and humid weather when transporting over 250 miles?

By Mary

Answers

Best Answer

Could you put it in a cooler or better yet make the cake when you arrive at your destination. That is quite a long way to transport a cake.

How can I make frosting that won't melt in the heat?

By sandy from Alamo, TX

Answers

Best Answer

I don't know about "heat resistant frosting" but I see you also live in the South. I'm a baker and I've not had too many problems with the icing melting. Only one occaision that I can remember that it was a real problem. The temps usually hover right around 100 degrees here during the late spring and early summer.

I had to deliver my daughter's baby shower cake about 5 miles in the dead of summer. It started melting on the way.
About the best you can do is refridgerate the cake until time to serve it, or keep it in a cooler/ice chest if refridgeration isn't possible. Also, it's best to avoid buttercream icing on really hot days if you are planning an outdoor event. I hope this helps!

I'm making cupcakes, but I'm trying to figure out what's better cream cheese or frosting? I want my cupcakes to look nice and not to melt what do you guys suggest?

By Verenice

Answers

Cool Whip now makes cream cheese and chocolate frostings. You can find them where you find frozen whipped cream. They are pretty good tasting and give you the best of both worlds.

Not as sweet and still tasty!

We are having a 25th Anniversary party at the lake in a non air conditioned hall. I want to use a whipped cream icing on the cake. What do I add to stabilize the whipping cream so it doesn't melt off?

By Bonny Graham from Canada

Answers:

How do I prevent cake frosting from melting?

I hope you are well. My family owns a restaurant and catering service. We always freeze the cakes with whip cream icing, make sure you have a box, preferably a cake box. Freeze it for at least a couple of days before the event.

Best of luck.
Crystal (NC) (04/14/2009)

By CRYSTAL

Unflavored gelatin is the secret. In the mixing bowl, stir together these ingredients with a spoon to combine:

• 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 packet unflavored gelatin

Cover, then place the bowl and beaters in the refrigerator 30 minutes to give the sugar and gelatin time to dissolve some, plus everything should be cold. Then beat until stiff peaks form. Be sure you cover the entire cake well with frosting, then refrigerate until you just have to take it out of the fridge. (04/15/2009)

By Joy

allrecipes.com

This is the best frosting I ever made. It tastes just like whipped cream, but stands up and does not weep. Wonderful on a coconut cake and I plan to flavor it with cocoa for a chocolate whipped cream frosting also. Excellent. (04/16/2009)

By Robin Brady

I will be baking a cake for an outdoor baby shower in three weeks, which puts the date in the middle of August. Even though I live in NH the weather here has been hot and very humid. How do I prevent the frosting (icing) from melting at the shower?

I use a standard buttercream frosting, and I plan on refrigerating the cake before the shower. Is there anything else I can do to prevent the frosting from melting off the cake? Should I use a different kind of frosting? Please help me if you can.

Karen in NH

Answers:

Just a thought, can the cake be served partially frozen? I never tried this but maybe it may help.

(07/21/2005)

By it's.only.me

Many years ago, I thought if it were a butter cream frosting, I had to use butter. The first time I did it, the frosting melted. I've used margarine ever since and haven't had that problem. (07/21/2005)

By Judith Muelling

There are plates that are filled with a coolant and placed in the freezer. Meant to keep things like shrimp cocktail safe in the heat. Might work for you, but only if the cake is in the shade. (07/22/2005)

By Holly

Try using shortening (e.g. Crisco) instead of butter. Butter melts easily and will make a mess. You can buy clear butter flavouring to add to the shortening to keep the buttery taste. Also, have you tried using fondant? There are lots of books out now with some great ideas for decorating with fondant and it won't melt. You can use the fondant on the outside of the cake and put the buttercream between the layers (next to the cooled cake) where it won't melt. (07/22/2005)

By Trix

Read or heard years ago to add cornstarch to frosting mix, do nor remember how to figure the amount. (07/23/2005)

By Annette