Keeping Butter Cream Frosting from Melting

How do bakeries keep butter cream frosting from melting in hot and humid weather when transporting over 250 miles?

By Mary

Best Answer

Could you put it in a cooler or better yet make the cake when you arrive at your destination. That is quite a long way to transport a cake.

You asked how bakeries keep butter cream icing from melting. My guess is either they use a refrigerated truck, or they add chemicals? to the icing... possibly a processed fat with a higher melting temperature than butter.

As for transporting a homemade cake: I have a large sized cooler but was frustrated that it wasn't large enough to hold a cake on a plate.

Then I discovered that if I placed the cooler on its side that the cake would slide right in. Even so, 250 miles is a long drive, so you might want to pack the icing and cake separately, and ice the cake after reaching your destination.