How Do I Prevent Cake Frosting From Melting?

How do you get cream cheese icing (frosting) to stiffen up? It always ends up running off my cake.

By Sandy

Best Answer

Your cake has to be absolutely cool before applying the frosting. Wait at least 4 hours after baking.

Best Answer

Firstly, try chilling your cake. After it cools, put it in the frige for about an hour. Next use 4 ounces cream cheese, 1/2 t lemon juice, 1/2 t vanilla, and as much powdered sugar as needed to make a god stiff frosting. Bring the cream cheese to room temperature, then whip everything together.

Do you make sure that all your measurements are correct? I would think if the measurements are right there should be no problem.

I have never heard of anybody having that problem. When I need any kind of frosting, I buy the canned. I figure I am entitled to do that since I am 69. lol

I found a great site, new to me anyway. It has almost everything on baking questions. Try it:baking911.com
Good luck.

This is my favorite frosting. Try one of two things; either cut back on margarine or add more confectionery sugar. I found cutting back on the margarine was all that was necessary and my frosting is beat with the electric mixer and it fluffs more and spreads easier than hand beating method. Too much c.sugar takes away the cheese flavor, so be careful how much extra you add if you go this route or do both.