Cake Frosting Tips and Tricks

Category Helpful Hints
There are things you can do that can make icing cakes easier. This guide contains cake frosting tips and tricks.

Use chocolate chips for an easy frosting. While your cake or brownies are still warm, put chocolate chips on let sit a few minutes to warm them. Once they begin to melt, spread with a table knife.

When my mother used to have friends over in the evening she wanted to serve a snack (cake and coffee) but most of them were elderly and would turn down the cake because of the frosting.

The problem was solved by using a round single layer cake. Buy 8-inch doilies, place a doily on top of the cake, and sprinkled it lightly with confectioner's sugar. Remove the doily and you have a lacy design on the cake without all of the icing.

By Clynn Altemus from Inglis, FL

When frosting a cake with a rubber spatula, first dip in some warm water then proceed to frost. It helps apply smoothly and and preventing little pieces of the cake from coming off. Reapply the dipping method as needed.

Source: My mother taught me this years and years ago.

Here is a tip when having to prepare a quick powdered sugar frosting, whether your recipe is homemade or store bought. I take a spoonful of Jello powder and add it to the beginning mix. You get your flavor and color. I buy my basic flavors, open the box and put into a jelly jar. I find generic does not color or flavor as well as the name brand Jello.

For the extra step to be prepared, spin the jello powder in the blender/bullet, etc for superfine. I can make a whole 2 lb. powdered sugar recipe and separate into small tupperware bowls, add the color and flavor wanted and then store in fridge several months.

Whether needing to pipe some cupcakes, or a quick swish on a cookie, I got it ready. I have a special chocolate bourbon cupcake recipe that either raspberry and orange are delicious with.

To frost a cake easier, after baking, cool and remove the cake from the pan, wrap a layer in wax paper, and freeze. When ready to frost, turn the cake bottom side up, brush off the crumbs, and frost as usual. It is much easier and looks nicer.

By Keeper from NC

Lemon juice and some powdered sugar will make a nice glaze for a plain cake or quick bread. Just put a cup of sifted powdered sugar and a teaspoon of lemon juice in a bowl. Mix together and add drops of water or more juice until a thick but runny consistency is achieved.

Make cream-cheese frosting by mixing a package of cream cheese with 1-2 cups of powdered sugar, adding a few drops of milk at a time to get the desired consistency. Flavor with vanilla, orange peel, or cocoa powder. Make a pumpkin frosting by omitting the milk and adding canned pumpkin, a tablespoon at a time, and a little pumpkin pie spice. More sugar may be needed because of the extra moisture from the pumpkin.

For a less sugary frosting use chilled chocolate pudding (or any other flavor) on your cake.

By Jennifer from Gilbertsville, NY

Sprinkle chocolate chips on your cake/cupcakes just a few minutes before they are done. Then just spread the chocolate across the top after they are melted and the cake is baked.

Whipping store bought frosting with your mixer will increase its volume and give you more frosting for the money. This is a guide about whip store bought frosting.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

If your cupcake icing is running off your cupcakes, you may not have cooled the cupcake down enough. This is a guide about icing too runny.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Homemade cream cheese glaze can liven up many baked goods. This is a guide about making a cream cheese glaze.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I want to learn to decorate cupcakes. Can I use store bought frosting instead of homemade. Seems like in all the videos I've watched, they are using homemade.

By Lola C.

Answers

You can certainly use canned frosting to learn how to decorate cakes. However, for quality and taste (in my opinion) the best frosting, icing etc., is home made using fresh ingredients.

I bought canned icing, but after a while the icing started melting. I usually buy the rich and creamy or whipped one. What can I add or do for this not to happen again?

By Myrna