Cake Frosting Tips and Tricks

Category Helpful Hints
There are things you can do that can make icing cakes easier. This guide contains cake frosting tips and tricks.

Use chocolate chips for an easy frosting. While your cake or brownies are still warm, put chocolate chips on let sit a few minutes to warm them. Once they begin to melt, spread with a table knife.

When my mother used to have friends over in the evening she wanted to serve a snack (cake and coffee) but most of them were elderly and would turn down the cake because of the frosting.

The problem was solved by using a round single layer cake. Buy 8-inch doilies, place a doily on top of the cake, and sprinkled it lightly with confectioner's sugar. Remove the doily and you have a lacy design on the cake without all of the icing.

By Clynn Altemus from Inglis, FL

When frosting a cake with a rubber spatula, first dip in some warm water then proceed to frost. It helps apply smoothly and and preventing little pieces of the cake from coming off. Reapply the dipping method as needed.

Source: My mother taught me this years and years ago.

Here is a tip when having to prepare a quick powdered sugar frosting, whether your recipe is homemade or store bought. I take a spoonful of Jello powder and add it to the beginning mix. You get your flavor and color. I buy my basic flavors, open the box and put into a jelly jar. I find generic does not color or flavor as well as the name brand Jello.

For the extra step to be prepared, spin the jello powder in the blender/bullet, etc for superfine. I can make a whole 2 lb. powdered sugar recipe and separate into small tupperware bowls, add the color and flavor wanted and then store in fridge several months.

Whether needing to pipe some cupcakes, or a quick swish on a cookie, I got it ready. I have a special chocolate bourbon cupcake recipe that either raspberry and orange are delicious with.

To frost a cake easier, after baking, cool and remove the cake from the pan, wrap a layer in wax paper, and freeze.

Everyone likes a smooth deliciously sweet whipped frosting on their cakes and cookies. Use the tips for preventing grainy frosting when baking.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 2

Lemon juice and some powdered sugar will make a nice glaze for a plain cake or quick bread. Just put a cup of sifted powdered sugar and a teaspoon of lemon juice in a bowl.

Sprinkle chocolate chips on your cake/cupcakes just a few minutes before they are done. Then just spread the chocolate across the top after they are melted and the cake is baked.

Your cake must be cool before you frost it so the icing does not melt. This is a guide about how do I prevent cake frosting from melting?

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

An easy way to color store bought frosting to customize it for your cake or cupcakes, is to use gel food color. This is a guide about coloring store bought frosting.

Whipping store bought frosting with your mixer will increase its volume and give you more frosting for the money. This is a guide about whip store bought frosting.

If your cupcake icing is running off your cupcakes, you may not have cooled the cupcake down enough. This is a guide about icing too runny.

Homemade cream cheese glaze can liven up many baked goods. This is a guide about making a cream cheese glaze.

I want to learn to decorate cupcakes. Can I use store bought frosting instead of homemade. Seems like in all the videos I've watched, they are using homemade.

By Lola C.

Answers

You can certainly use canned frosting to learn how to decorate cakes. However, for quality and taste (in my opinion) the best frosting, icing etc., is home made using fresh ingredients.

I bought canned icing, but after a while the icing started melting. I usually buy the rich and creamy or whipped one. What can I add or do for this not to happen again?

By Myrna

Answers

DID ANYONE EVER ANSWER THIS QUESTION FOR YOU? I NEED TO KNOW THE ANSWER FOR MYSELF