FabricCleaning

Yellow Stains on Cotton Fabric

How do I clean yellowish marks from a white cotton cloth?

By Naziamuhsin from Bangladesh

Answers

Anonymous

For cotton or linen, boil the item for one hour in a mix of water, salt and baking soda. For each gallon of water you use, add 1/2 cup salt and 1/2 cup baking soda.

How can I remove set-in yellow stains from white cotton fabric?

Sherri from New Palestine, IN

Answers:

Yellow Stains on Cotton Fabric

I'm beginning to sound like a broken record here but I still swear by my Oxyclean. I soak things in a strong solution in really, really hot water for about a day and then wash them in the machine with another round of OxyClean. If you can lay or hang the items out in the sun that's a great help...it's still way too cold here, the things would freeze but maybe you can do it. (02/10/2009)

By Glenn'sMom

Yellow Stains on Cotton Fabric

What worked for me is the liquid comet cleanser with bleach. Not the powder. Just rub some into the stain and in a few minutes the stain will be gone. I have seen stains vanish right before my eyes using this product. It comes in a bottle. There are others on the market. They would work as long as it contains bleach. It isn't hard on your hands either. It has not harmed any white fabric I have used it on. Hope this helps. ~Janette~ (02/10/2009)

By ashleybunkin

Yellow Stains on Cotton Fabric

Soak anything white cotton in a bucket of hot water with Cascade added to it. I have done yellowed undershirts like this & they come out white as new. I usually will let things like that soak for a day or 2. It works great on white sheets & pillow cases as well as white kitchen towels. (02/10/2009)

By Lamico

Yellow Stains on Cotton Fabric

If it's all white, try putting it in the bright sunshine. That's the old-fashioned way but it might work if you are afraid to use anything on it. (02/15/2009)

By goldie