Can a Puppy Wear a Flea Collar?

Can a puppy wear a flea collar?

Christie from Japan

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

I assume so, because I have seen puppy flea collars for sale at stores. I think the puppy has to be a few months old though before they can wear it.

I wouldn't put one on any age dog. They have poison in them. There are many ways to prevent fleas naturally for your dog & your house. Just search this site. It's not really difficult. I haven't had fleas on my property in so long I can't remember.

Most flea collars are only for a dog who is six months or older but there is a brand that has one for younger dogs. I don't really reccomend one though because none of the ones I have found work. Sargents has a dip for puppies that is safe and they also have a topical that is the best thing I've found so far on the market for older dogs.

None of the home made recipies I've found so far have worked for my area, of course I havn't tried Borax yet since I have two kids that still play alot on my carpet.

From what I understand, flea collars for puppies is not a good thing. However, you can put olive oil on the pups. Soak as much as possible on the pup (avoid mouth and eyes, of course) and leave on for at least four hours and wash off. Or, you can let Mama lick it off. This is safe for kittens and puppies.

We have, always, gave our dogs yeast tablets. Our dogs ate them like candy. These are very cheap. The fleas don't like the smell emitting from their skin. You can't smell this on the dog. We didn't like the fact that the collars were loaded with chemicals.

I think your vet would tell you not to bother with flea collars. To really be effective, you need to buy something that is vet recommended. It is very expensive to get fleas exterminated out of your house and if your puppy gets fleas and comes in the house, your house will have them, too. I use Frontline Plus from my vet. I pay more, but to know that it is working is worth it! I would rather pay more for the preventative and have it work than to put the money out to an exterminator to come and eradicate my house of fleas!

RE: what will happen to my 7 wk old pup if she wore a flea collar for about 20 hours until found we weren't suppose to?

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Dog with a Flea Collar
Using a Flea Collar
Pets FleasAugust 27, 2006
Blue shirt with a white collar.
Repairing Shirts With a Worn Collar or Cuffs
Dog in Elizabethan Pet Collar
Alternative To Elizabethan Pet Collar
dress shirt
Collar Stay Replacement Ideas
Shar-Pei wearing a collar.
Finding a Collar for a Large Dog
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 14, 2016 at 9:54:40 AM on 10.0.0.174 in 835 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.