Repairing Shirts With a Worn Collar or Cuffs

Category Shirts
Frequently the collar or cuffs on a shirt will wear out before the rest of the garment. This is a guide about repairing shirts with a worn collar or cuffs.

My husband wears button-down collar shirts to work, and, while the rest of the shirt will still be fine, the collars tend to wear at the fold. I've found I can flip the collar by (carefully) taking out the stitches and then turning it over, and sewing it back.

You have to have a sewing machine for this, and I use a 12-stitch per inch or even higher to resew the collar. Also, check under the collar first to make sure there are no numbers stamped on the fabric.

When you flip a button-down collar, the buttonholes line up perfectly with the tiny buttons on the shirt. Just this week, my husband was ready to toss a couple of cotton shirts that he really liked, because the collars had tiny holes in them. The underside was fine, so now he's going to get at least another year's wearing out of the two shirts.

Betty's tip about cutting her husband's frayed cuffs off and making long sleeves into short, reminds me of how I have extended the life of some of my husband's nicer shirts that have frayed collars.

Use a seam ripper to open the seam the collar is sandwiched between. Then pull out the collar and flip it over to the opposite side (which will look brand new); then set it in the opened collar seam, match the thread as well as you can, and stitch the seam back up. The frayed side will be turned down now and hidden, and your favorite shirt can be used a lot longer!

By Paula W

My husband has a tendency to wear out the collar on his dress shirts. Does anyone have a tip for repair or use for the shirt (other than quilt material)?

Dawn

Answers

Before the collars are completely worn, carefully take them off and turn them around with the worn side down.(

Funny, I was just talking to someone about this very thing the other night! This person could sew and what she did was take the collar off and reverse it. Sounds like a plan!

When my children were little; I`d put the collarless shirts on them, buttoning down the back. Then I`d roll up the sleeves to a comfortable length for the children and button up the sleeves. Sometimes they were used for art work (or other messy kid-type activities. I`ve worn one myself when cleaning around a wood burning fireplace. Hope this helps(easier than sewing collars back on)

Carefully pick out the collar from neckband, using a thread pick. Turn it over and reinsert it in the neckband, keeping everything even. Carefully resew it. I've done this a few times and it is not difficult.

You could also take the collar off and sew the neck back together for a mandarin collar. (This is good after you have used both sides of the collar.) He won't be able to wear it with ties anymore, but he can still wear it to go out, if he likes that sort of collar.

For shirts that have worn collars take them off and sew the rounded edge back up. You may have to replace that part with a new piece of material. A friend does this all the time with her husbands' shirts only she does it with the new ones. He likes the look of a western style shirt, but the costs are too high. so maybe this could be an option for those who still like the look of the shirt they have.

By RoseMary

Try a service at collarreplacement.com

Don't waste your time go to the pro at:
http://www.collarreplacement.com

Get A neckband shirt with detachable collars. You can get them at amazondrygoodscollarsandcuffs.com

IM NO GOOD AT SEWING, SO I'D JUST BUY A NEW SHIRT !!
I DO HAVE A QUESTION THOUGH, WHAT CAUSES THE TIPS ON MY HUSBANDS SHIRTS TO GO WHITE AND FRAY, IS IT WEAR AND TEAR OR AM I DOING SOMETHING WRONG ?

I just do a zig-zag with my sewing machine over the worn part of the collar. Quick, easy and I have saved many, many of my family members' shirts this way.

Reading all these wonderful posts reminded me of how my mother would carefully remove the collar from my father's favorite shirt and repair it and then reverse it.Some of his shirts were his favorite and they were done this way until they could no longer be repaired......Cindy D........

My husband's business shirts have frayed collars and cuffs. I don't sew, but I understand you can flip these worn ends and turn them around. How much should I pay? Would my dry cleaners or a tailor do this?

Meggen from MT

Answers

I think buying new ones would be less expensive.Seamstresses aren't cheap. I know, because I sometimes sew for people. If you can't afford all new shirts at once,buy one or two a payday. Judy in alabama

Don't do it. As another writer says, it's too expensive. Even if it were free, you end up with cuffs and collars that are worn thin. You'd be lucky to get a dozen wearings before it's frayed again.

Elaress

I'm with the other posters, it's just not cost effective.

This is a good idea, but only if you can do the work yourself for free. Its easy. Just unpick the seam. Turn the collar over. Then resew. Try it. You have nothing to lose.

Best wishes always,