Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Fever Blister Remedies

What's the best thing to to treat fever blisters?

By Shannon from Philadelphia, PA

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By jlyn [3]12/19/2010

I used to get them all over my face until I read a book written by a Doctor. In it she recommended taking the small coated garlic pills. Take them several times a day until the outbreak goes away. I now take just one a day and this prevents them all together. This was actually recommended for herpes outbreaks but I tried it just the same and it has been like a "cure" for me. I encourage everyone with cold sores or herpes to try this. The name of the book was "Womens Bodies Womens Wisdom" by Dr. Cristine Northrup.

By Lilac [18]12/17/2010

Doctors are now recomending L-Lycine. You can buy it over the counter in the pharmacy. 1000 units a day is recommended. It also works for shingles.

By Jillian [1]12/17/2010

First sign of a cold sore and I reach for my Tea Tree Oil! dip a Q-tip in a diluted solution (5-10%) of water and tea tree oil and apply 2-3 times a day a more. try like mad not to touch the sore and if you have an accompanying fever, use Tylenol as directed. you can also use liquid band-aid over the sore as well. remember, fever blisters are cold sores and they are contagious. wash your hands often and don't touch your cold sore! Tea tree oil works much faster than anything else I have used.

By dakota [4]12/17/2010

Years ago, I got cold sores a lot, in fact for over a year I had one someplace constantly on my lip and then got an ulcer and started taking Tagamet. During the time I took it, I didn't have one. years later there is a medical white paper that says Tagamet for cold sores. Start taking when you feel the tingling and then I take one 2 times a day for several days, sometimes I don't get one and if I do, it never lasts as long.

By linda [8]12/17/2010

When you feel the first tingle of a fever blister starting, wrap an ice cube in a paper towel and hold it against your lip. Hold it until your lip gets numb, then take it off for a few minutes. But if you can keep this up for about 30 minutes or so, your fever blister will go away. I know this from experience.

By Sheilah Link [5]12/17/2010

Dry the area with a blow drier as hot as you can stand. Do this three or four times a day. This what I have used whenever I feel one starting and they never develop. Listerine applied to area seems to help too.

By AvaElizabeth [4]12/16/2010

I used to get fever blisters (cold sores) at least every 2 weeks and bad ones too. I read in Prevention Magazine that you should take Lysine 500 mg each and every day and I have done that for at least 20 years. I do get cold sores but they never erupt and they never spread. If I feel a tingle I double up on the Lysine and I tell everyone about this treatment.

Solutions: Fever Blister Remedies

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Fever Blister Home Remedies

For a home remedy for fever blisters on your mouth, make a paste with a drop of water and meat tenderizer. Dab the paste onto the blister. Keep on repeating the treatment a few times during the day. Within a day or two, the blister will disappear!

By BessieBessie from Pretoria, Gauteng

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Fever Blister Remedies

Fever blister? I've got a big one on my lower lip. Does anyone have a good home remedy? It never tingled or hurt.