Easy Potatoes for Camping or Cookouts

These are my favorite potatoes for the summer! My mom used to make them when we were little! I have found that when going camping or if I am going to be busy and will not have time later. Earlier in the day, I peel potatoes and cut in quarters, cook them some until they are just cooked a little way through. You can make as many potatoes as you want.

If you have a lot to make, I would advise doing a couple packets, same for foil, as it is easier to work with and you will not have to worry about foil or packets coming apart. Which is no fun as you can imagine and (if you are like me) you know that is exactly what would happen. Yep,right over the fire, or into the grill!

When cool, I cut them even smaller and put them in foil packets (large size or just use foil). Put butter and choice of any spices besides salt. Wrap in foil and keep cold.

Then when you get to the grill or the campgrounds and you're busy setting up, all you have to do is put your potatoes on the grill or on a rack, if camping, but not directly on the fire. Add your meat and there are the main courses for dinner. Now I like mine cooked until they are really golden brown and hard on the bottom. Not all potatoes will be like this but I think they are out of this world when really well done!

As for how long to cook, it depends on how hot your fire or charcoal will be. Keep a check on them so they do not burn off the butter it can be added if needed. It should not take more then 15-20 minutes, but like I said it depends on the heat.

They are just great this way. Good luck I hope you try them and really hope you like them. It is just one more way to make dinner easy. Now all you need is your salad and you're good to go.

Oh yes, if you have kids, do not forget dessert! Good Luck camping or cooking!

By Darlene from Fairview, PA

Our family will eat the peel of a baked potato, so if we're going camping, I just wash and bake as many potatoes as I think we'll eat, then cut them into cubes, add a little salt, pepper and a pat of butter to double-wrapped foil packets.

If the foil is thin, I might make it 4 layers thick. Just pop them on the grill for about 15 minutes and you have a great potato side dish. They don't really have to cook or brown, but just get warm enough to melt the butter and they're delicious.

You don't have to be camping to enjoy potatoes this way either. Anytime you're cooking on the grill at home, just place the packets of already cooked potatoes on the top rack or the cooler side of the grill, and let them warm while you cook the meats.

Julia in Boca Raton,FL

Cooking Over Camp Fire
Camping Cooking Tips
Travel and Recreation Recreation Camping RecipesJune 13, 2008
Freezing Potatoes, Potatoes on white background
Freezing Potatoes
Tealight candle burning in the dark
Camp Cooking With Tealights
Camping Food Ideas
Camping Food Ideas
Mom and 3 girls Camping in the Rain
Camping in the Rain