Squirrels Chewing Through Window Screens

A squirrel sitting outside a window.
Squirrels that have been previously fed by the homeowner or ones that notice some tasty food on the other side of that pesky screen will have no trouble tearing through for a snack. This is a guide about squirrels chewing through window screens.

I made a big mistake in the summer time. A baby squirrel came to my window and I felt so bad for it. It was such a little thing. Well, winter time came and I had to stop feeding her, she grew so big. Now her food source has stopped and she got crazy and started chewing my screens. I finally chased her, but she still keeps coming back chewing on my screen. Please help.

Thanks.

By abalas from Plainview, Long Island

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Answers

Best Answer

Kindness s never a mistake. She is your baby and having a hard time finding something to eat. She is starving and associates your kindness with food to survive. Please don't kill her with ammonia.

She will acclimate slowly to the wild but for now she needs food you have to offer in order to survive. She doesn't have the ability to find it on her own.

As kids, we raised baby squirrels. They slept with us and got off the bed to pee on paper. Ate with us, enjoyed outdoors, and scratched at the door to come in.

This totally changed when mating season came. We could never touch them again. They would come close. It was like "Hi, good to see ya". We so loved them. It was gratifying to know they were safe and happy.

Please don't torture your baby by not feeding. She is starving. Help her for a little while until she acclimates. To throw her outside with nothing is cruel. You showed her love before. Don't kill her by taking everything away.

Best Answer

Why don't you put a feeder close to the window and feed her. She will still have a full belly and you can still watch her!

How do I keep squirrels from chewing through my window screens?

We just came home to discover large pieces of bread and baked goods all over the kitchen counter, along the windows above the sink. Thinking that we had just become house mates with super-rat, I summonsed my DH to find it while I packed.

Closer investigation revealed a tear in the screen, pushed outward, as in exit. Apparently Einstein Squirrel climbed onto my new window box and chewed his way in and out through the screen. I was somewhat relieved to find a large piece of bread outside, on top of the fence a few feet away.

We just moved here and have lots of squirrels. I love leaving my windows open, which is something we couldn't do in our previous home for safety reasons. Now this! Is this normal?

Gwen from OH

Answers:

Squirrels

Yes, indeed squirrels will chew screening if food is in sight! I caught a squirrel chewing on the porch screen. After chasing it off a few times I realized it was after a piece of bread in plain sight on a shelf. I removed the tantalizing bread and the squirrel was no longer tempted. I have the hole covered with heavy tape until the screening can be replaced.

By Charlotte

Mothballs

Mothballs! Scatter them around the yard and varmints will high-tail it out of there. Works as a snake deterrent too.

By Ginger

Feed Them Away From Your House

The previous owners probably fed the squirrels. However I might suggest you get rid of the window box you just put up. Otherwise, you will never be rid of them.

They have had a taste of what's inside your home now so don't give them a way to get in your windows again. Keep them clear of tables, tree limbs and keep an eye on your screen door. Don't leave the inside door open.

We humans always under estimate the thinking of squirrels. They are quite intelligent and they will get into any kind of bird feeder there is out there and will study it to get in to it. I guess the only way to beat them is to put some corn cobs out there that Lowe's sells or any pet food institution. Basically, just feed them away from your house.

By candleglows

Reinforce or Remove Screens

I would cover my screens with some heavy duty ventilated material, like the light weight metal grids you can get for your screen door to keep pets from puncturing your screen. Better still, since you obviously can't leave your windows open while they are doing this, could you just take out the screens for a while? At least they wouldn't get torn up and you'd save the expense of replacing them. We're in the middle of heat wave, so I haven't had my windows open for several weeks.

By Gwen

Squirrels or Raccoons?

Are you sure the guilty party is a squirrel? Several years ago I had an apartment that backed to the woods. One night (of course I was home alone) my little dog woke me up, growling and barking like crazy. I found him just outside the kitchen doorway, every hair on his little body standing straight up.

I called my mom on the cell phone, whispering: "Yeah, Mom? I'm in my hallway. Charlie is going nuts. There is someone in the kitchen. I have a baseball bat. Stay on the line, mom. If I scream, please call 911, okay?"

Then I flipped on the light to find a giant raccoon sitting on the counter, an entire loaf of wheat bread scattered from here to there. He just sort of looked at me and blinked, as if to say, "Join me for a midnight snack?" He wasn't afraid of me or my ferocious watchdog!

I had to hop up and down and throw things before he sauntered back out through the window screen, which he had torn from the lower corner and pulled out of the way for easy entry.

The maintenance man fixed that screen the very next morning. Two weeks later, the intruder returned. We had to stop opening our kitchen window altogether.

Good luck with your bandits!

By MissouriMom