Alternate Uses for Window and Door Screens

Category Reusing
Before you discard those old window screens or screen doors, give some thought to possible alternative uses. This is a guide about alternate uses for window and door screens.

I have a very large wall space in my kitchen which is hard to decorate, because of the size and the placement of other things in my kitchen, such as doors, light switches, etc. I have displayed scattered baskets for many years, but decided I needed a change. We had several old screen doors, if you are younger than 30 or so, you can ask an older person what those were--LOL, in an old building on our property. So, I began to think how I could use one to make a large wall hanging for the space. I was very pleased with the results.

Total Time: Depends on how much work the door needs or if you want to paint

1. After power washing the door and removing the old screen, I decided not to paint the door.
  2. When the door was completely dry, I did add a coat of polyurethane. The old door handle (a wooden spool left after all the thread was gone), hinges, and staples from the screen were removed.
  3. Ad

4. A new door handle and screening picked up from the local hardware store were added.
  5. Two D-ring hooks were also added on each side of the back of the door (actually the top and the bottom as we were going to hang it horizontally on the wall). We used heavy wire and cable ferrules to connect the two d-rings to hang the door.
  6. Our house is old and has solid wood under the sheet rock, so we used three, long, heavy-duty screws to hang the door by the wire (I forgot to take a picture of this). You will need to use a stud-finder and find the studs in your wall for placement of the screws/nails to hang the door securely.
  7. You can then decide what you would like to display if anything. I found the crosses pictured at a Hobby Lobby. I called the hanging "The Key to Heaven's Door."
  8. Ad

When we replaced our windows, we kept a couple of screens from the old storm windows. Now, I wish we had kept all of them as there are so many uses for them.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 1