Pamper the Mom, Too

Is it inappropriate or weird to give handmade jewelry as a baby shower gift? I am a professional jewelry artist and my sister is having a baby shower. I'd like to give her a special necklace that I made for her, but I don't know if it's appropriate or not. I did also get a baby gift, but I want to give my sister something just for her. Thanks.

By Stephanie

Stephanie -

I make jewelry, too. :-) I think it's nice of you to make something special for your sister. *I* think it would be okay to give it to her at the shower, but if you feel really weird about it, maybe you could try to give it to her before everyone else shows up (or after everyone else is gone). But if I was at a party and someone gave her sister (the new mom) a special gift, it wouldn't make me uncomfortable.

Best of luck. I hope the shower goes well, she loves her new necklace, and that the baby is happy & healthy!

I think it is a lovely idea and am sure your sister will appreciate the thought and love the effort you put into designing something especially for her. At the end of the pregnancy, most all moms are not feeling too special, just big and tired. So I'm sure she will love being pampered by her sister.

I have 5 grandchildren now and I would have loved to have a"keepsake"of any kind.If you feel weird about it maybe wrap it by itself and tuck it in with a gift for the baby shower. Congratulations to all on the new arrival. Please come back and let us know how things went.

Any new mom, or mom-to-be would be thrilled to receive a special piece of jewelry that she can wear for many years & each time she wears it, the necklace will remind her of her wonderful baby shower! Jewelry is an especially nice gift, because when we are pregnant many of us (myself included) feel "fat" & not as pretty as before we gained the big belly & there's nothing like jewelry to make us feel pretty & special!

* But because the shower is mainly to get her things she needs for the baby, how about wrapping the necklace inside of a baby bootie or something else she needs like a baby T-shirt from the dollar store? You could also wrap the necklace around a bottle of baby-bath or something like this. It doesn't have to be costly, there are many baby-things at the dollar store that any mother could use, be it clothes or baby cleaning products. You could even wrap the necklace around something soft like a diaper or a burp-cloth then roll it up & attach a bow!

I agree with everybody else. I think that would be more than appropriate, it would be special and most welcome. She'll always remember when she got the gift from her sister.

You are a very generous person and your sister would undoubtedly cherish your hand made jewelry for her child. It's like an heirloom! Don't think because you're a professional that your work doesn't have measure. If it was in a store it would sell probably like hotcakes! Your sister's baby will always think of you when she wears it. You are such a good sister!

Same as all of the others :-) I think it's a lovely idea!

Please do follow your heart and give the gift to your sister. How very special! Don't forget to have someone take a photo of you and her with the gift. It will be a treasure!

I say go for it! Back in the late 70's my mother in law gave me a very pretty lacy gown with matching robe and slippers to wear after I had the baby. It was so pretty it was a mint green. I had never had any thing so lacy and pretty! I wore it out! LOL

Like everyone else I think its a great idea. You could give it to her personally , or you could even place the item around her neck as she opens your gift. And yes, be sure to take a picture. It will be a wonderful keepsake for your sister and her child.

Lovely idea, very thoughtful!

Stephanie, It is appropriate. And your sister will treasure the gift, and very possible give it to her baby years from now. Be it a girl or boy, a keepsake is a wonderful thing to pass down. Since you already have a gift for the baby, I like the "picture idea" of you putting it around your sister's neck. Genealogy is an important fact of life. And that picture will be a great thing to add to your family history. Happy Baby Shower and Happy Baby.

Great Granny Hugs to all, Vi

I think that is an awesome gift. Personal and heart felt to your sister. I say "Do it!"

B.W Anchorage, Alaska

Hello,

Yes! That is a wonderful and very thoughtful gift. When my daughter had her baby shower, I gave her a new robe, slippers and a manicure/pedicure. Just for her, and of course I bought out the store for the baby lol

Speaking from experience, I think it's a great idea. Last year for my niece's baby shower I sort of went overboard with stuff for the baby. I also made a Mother's charm bracelet for my niece. The charms were all baby related...bottle, rattle, carriage, teddy bear, bootie, etc. She loved it.

Margaret from Denton, Texas

It is totally appropriate for you to give the new mom a gift as well. It is a bit like the congratulatory gifts and flowers that come right at the birth.

If there are other little siblings, as a new mom, I always appreciated the few small gifts that some included for the "big" brother; at 2 or 3 there is sometimes a jealously problem, and they don't understand why the baby gets all these fancy presents and they get nothing, but a little car or teddy made them feel part of the big celebration.

Absolutely it's appropriate and a wonderful idea. When I go to a baby shower I make up a pampering basket for mom. It can include anything from lacy nightgown to a favorite scent, candles, bath gel, bubbles, etc. Everyone has always loved them and can't wait to see what I've put in the basket. I have to say, I would have loved to have received a beautiful piece of jewelry to commemorate the birth of each of my 5 children.

I always include something for the mom herself along with a shower gift. Usually homemade relaxation things like bath salts or a covered china mug to help keep her beverage of choice warm while she tends to the baby.

I think she will love your gift forever!

Thanks for all the detailed and encouraging feedback! I'm happy to say that my sister was thrilled with the necklace and the gifts for the babies. And everything looks great for their delivery next month!

Thanks again for all the good wishes!

April 24, 2010 Flag

Whenever I buy a baby shower gift I try to buy a little something special for the mom as well. Usually it is something like a box of chocolates or some nice smelling perfume or bath salts. Maybe some shower gel, etc. The mom deserves to be pampered a little too.

By Robin

Answers:

Pamper the Mom, Too

Did that for my niece and she just loved it. Makes them feel better to be remembered, too. Already picking little things for my daughter, too. She is going to have her first on March 1.

Thanks for sharing. Ruth (02/03/2005)

By grammar

Pamper the Mom, Too

Pamper the parents. A great gift idea is maybe a month(4) or 2 weeks(2) of delivered pizzas. New parents are so tired and a gift certificate of this kind would give them a break. (02/09/2005)

By Cavelady

Women looking at a baby shower gift
Homemade Baby Shower Gifts
Holidays and Parties Parties Baby ShowerApril 24, 2010
Baby Shower Diaper Cake
Making a Diaper Cake
Two child's hand print ornaments.
Homemade Birthday Gift Ideas for Mom
A daughter hugging her mother on her birthday.
Birthday Gift Ideas for Your Mom
Finished wreath.
Making a Diaper Wreath
🎉
🎄