Using Vinegar for Fleas

I have heard that you can add apple cider vinegar to your pet's water to help with fleas, is this true?

By Lora from TX

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I've never heard of is & I doubt that any pet would like the taste of vinegar, which could lead to the pet drinking less water, & drinking less water can easily lead to kidney problems (especially in cats). Instead I would recommend you add nutritional yeast to your pets food. The fleas hate the smell produced from the B-vitamins in the yeast. I know that nutritional yeast helps with fleas in dogs, I don't know if nutritional yeast is good for cats & other pets, you'd have to do some research.

* I have found that the only sure-fire way to rid your pet of fleas is to use Revolution or Advantage once a month. You need to buy these products at a vet. Call around to find a vet that sells single-doses. A single dosage costs less than $15 per month & it really works. My vet said that the Revolution brand of (behind the neck) flea product also gets rid of Heart Worm, Tape Worm & Ticks along with fleas & the Advantage brand kills only fleas. Some vets (not all) requite a prescription for the Revolution brand, but I've found that it's much safer than Advantage (at least in my cat).

This is true, and if you go to earthclinic.com and look under the pets tab you can find it...let me see..here are a few starter links to begin your research:

http://earthclinic.com/Pets/fleas.html

http://www.earthclinic.com/Pets/fleas2.html

Some info I found....

Add a small amount of apple cider vinegar to your pet's drinking water. The appropriate ratio is 1 tsp. of vinegar to 1 qt. of water.

According to The Vinegar Institute, this ratio will work to keep a 40 lb. animal flea-free. Using white distilled vinegar instead of apple cider vinegar is acceptable, but your pet may enjoy the apple cider more than the distilled white.

Vinegar is an acidic substance, and when your pet ingests it, it will make his coat more acidic.....

http://www.ehow.com/how_5610627_rid-fleas-using-vinegar_borax.html

Notice that salt is less toxic than borax. I put it all over the house when I see a flea.

Also what I do for my dogs is that often, I will take a rag washed with a dove soap bar and rinsed out...and yet it still has enough water to wash their skin under the fur. It makes them feel like they have just had a bath and their coat is so soft.

The skin needs to be washed, it develops lot of dead cells over time...and it feels better to have their skin wiped down every so often...they love it. It also rids them of pollen and toxins off their coat.

The next day it is dry and I put adams flea spray on them in the "spots" I hold the fur up and spray under the hair.

I don't cover them completely. First, I do a circle around their ears, and then I do under their arms, up their spine where they cant lick at it and then on their tail at the base and around their collar.

I am going to have to thin out our chow shepherd's hair since it is so thick I cant even be sure the spray will get where it is supposed to go. I would put the salt all over the floors and under the sheets...fleas hate salt with a passion. And it is cheap.

Also, If you are going to bathe the animal and you want a tried and true way to kill fleas on them, use dawn and baby shampoo mixed with peroxide on them. Lather it and leave it about five to ten minutes. Then rinse two or three times. Have a special treat for after the bath.

If the dogs are on a supplement of fish oil pills, then they should be healthier...anything to help the skin on a dog and it's overall health will help with fleas.

Also the dosage for a dog for benadryl is one to two milliarams per body weight.

Food is an issue too, I like to feed Pedigree even though it is far from the perfect food. Whenever I have chicken I give it to them. If you look up on the internet which dog foods are the best you will find authority and pro plan are the best because meat is a first ingredient.

I cant afford the whole bag of it, but I buy it in the extra small bags and give it to them as treats.

Lots of things can help with fleas. There is tons of information on earthclinic.com just don't inhale the peroxide, that is the craziest remedy I have seen on there.

I am sad to say that Frontline is no longer working for me or a lot of people. The formula seems to be useless.

Blessings, Robyn

Cynthia,

You should have tried it before you totally disregard the apple cider vinegar. Yes, I have tried it and yes, dogs will drink it. I just put a cap full in the water dish and fill the rest with water. I originally used it just to keep my animals healthy. I was told about this from a friend that has used the vinegar for her dogs and even her chickens. This is not a new discovery, farmers especially have been doing this for many years.

It acts like a purge for them I'm not sure if it really kills them.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

February 22, 2010 Flag

How do you apply vinegar to kill fleas on pets?

By Catherine from Middleburg, FL

Answers:

Using Vinegar for Fleas

I heard to put a bit of vinegar in the water bowl and you can also give them a rinse in vinegar water after you bath them. Hope this helps. (11/13/2009)

By mkm1enonly

Using Vinegar for Fleas

I will not give my dogs vinegar water, that seems a bit harsh. I give them garlic pills everyday among other things. (12/02/2009)

By yessy1019

November 13, 2009 Flag

Can I get rid of fleas on my pets with vinegar?

Karen From Norwood, GA

Answers:

Using Vinegar for Fleas

I just did an experiment because I'm having flea troubles. I made a half mixture of vinegar and water in a large spray bottle. I put a flea in a bowl and sprayed it and nothing happened. I then added a few drops of Dawn to the mixture, I sprayed the flea, and a few seconds later it died. (11/16/2008)

By Amgar

Using Vinegar for Fleas

I put a little eucalyptus on cotton balls and spread them out on my carpet before I vacuum. I wait about 15-20 minutes and then vacuum. My cats Zoe and Zada (a Himalyan, yes lots of hair) are flea-free and we live in Charleston, SC. I order the Eucalyptus Oil from any pharmacy. Four ounces cost about $8.00. (12/12/2008)

By Rhonda

August 9, 2008 Flag

Karen Burley From Norwood, GA

Answers:

Using Vinegar for Fleas

A non-toxic, inexpensive way to kill fleas is to bathe your baby in a mixture of half baby shampoo and half hydrogen peroxide. When dry, spray with Adams flea spray as directed. I have cats and dogs and this has saved us tons of money! (05/22/2006)

By gazookeeper

Using Vinegar for Fleas

Dawn dish detergent is fantastic. I have a 4 month old toy Poodle, I put Dawn from his neck down. I rub it in his hair very well and leave it on 3-4 minutes, then I rinse him thoroughly. You will see the dead fleas on animal and in bath water. I then shampoo my doggie in his good smelling shampoo. Try it and let me know what you think. Have a good day. (05/23/2006)

By Deanna

Using Vinegar for Fleas

I would say try the vinegar. Although I have never used it on my dog I do know it will help take care of lice on children. I can't imagine that it would hurt the dog as long as you keep it out of their eyes. Vinegar is actually healthy for human hair. (05/23/2006)

By dpcw

Using Vinegar for Fleas

I don't know about using vinegar for fleas, but our dog is prone to yeast infections on his skin, and our vet prescribed that for him. We mix 1/4 gallon vinegar with 3/4 gallon water and rub that in after his bath. We did that weekly and his skin cleared right up. He also had no fleas and no more flies around him. Good luck! (05/24/2006)

By Amy.

Using Vinegar for Fleas

We have used approx. 1 tsp. vinegar to one quart of water for the past 3-4 years. This is drinking water. It seems to work from the inside out and my dogs don't mind it at all. They haven't had any fleas since shortly after we started using it. We were getting totally flea infested. Nothing worked (even flea bombs). I got this hint originally from someone on one of my internet groups. I really wish I had saved her name, so I could credit her. Maybe, someday she will post again.

Incidentally, my cats don't like it.

Laine (05/25/2006)

By Laine

Using Vinegar for Fleas

We are working on getting rid of some fleas right now. I am looking for solutions myself but my daughter told me that we should put a flea collar inside the vacuum bag. (She has worked for a vet for many years, has lots of animals and does this herself). She said that fleas can live in a carpet for a long period of time and hatch eggs all the time. When you vacuum they also hatch the eggs inside the bags and will come back out. The flea collar inside the bag kills the fleas and eggs that you vacuum up.
Mem (06/24/2006)

By herblady

Using Vinegar for Fleas

(b)Editor's Note: (/b) Usually white vinegar is safe for any cleaning but for use on animals or for consumption, I'd use apple cider vinegar however rice vinegar might work fine, it just costs more. (06/25/2006)

By BlissMama

Using Vinegar for Fleas

Last summer we ran into a huge flea problem, thanks to a raccoon who had made our back porch it's home. I bathed my dog with a mixture of white vinegar and Dawn dish soap. The fleas immediately die, right there in the tub. It works wonders. I then fill a spray bottle with half vinegar, half water and spray him down every couple days. I put salt on my carpets which kills the fleas. Then I mix a couple of tablespoons of vinegar with his drinking water. Try all this, see what works for you! (08/26/2006)

By Rissa

Using Vinegar for Fleas

My vet suggested that we give our dogs Flea Free. It is added to the food or water. Vinegar is part of the Flea Free ingredients. We also sprinkled nematodes to the area of the yard that the dogs frequent. He also suggested that we put Neem Oil on the neck and base of the tail once a week and pat the dogs down with food grade Diatomatious Earth weekly. The Neem is an natural insect repellent and the Diatomatious Earth is scratchy and uncomfortable to the fleas so they prefer to not be around it. You can also put the Diatomatious Earth in the pet's bedding and around base boards. It has not completely eliminated the fleas, but it has improved the problem greatly. That is a lot to say in Florida where we don't get a freeze to knock the flea population down. (06/24/2007)

By Dr. B

Using Vinegar for Fleas

Hi, I'd just like to let you now that I put a bowl of white vinegar down every night when I had a flea problem in the house. Every morning I would come down to the living room to find the bowl full of dead fleas. It's the best and cheapest way I found which would actually work!

Hope it helps!

(09/18/2007)

By

Using Vinegar for Fleas

I use 1/2 vinegar 1/2 warm water with dish soap on my cat and dog. This kills fleas instantly! I would HIGHLY recommend this to EVERYONE! You can also take a Q TIP and dip it in vinegar or rubbing alcohol and then put it on fleas when you see them on your animal. This stuns them. Next you can pick the flea off and put it in a bowl of vinegar to kill it. Good luck! (10/07/2007)

By Kelsey

Using Vinegar for Fleas

Vinegar does work very well. Before I bathed my cat in a half, half, and Dawn. I took a bowl of vinegar, bowl of water, and her flea comb and started to kill fleas right away. I would dip the comb in the vinegar after running the comb though her fur. Then I would rinse the comb with the water. Worked great. It took about 2 min. to kill the fleas in the bowl so i left her in the tub for about 5 min. P.S. half & half water, vinegar to spray everything. Thanks (10/27/2007)

By Djohnson

Using Vinegar for Fleas

Thank you for the tip about dabbing the flea with a Qtip soaked in alcohol. This has made an amazing difference in catching the "stunned" flea! Also going to try the white vinegar at night in a bowl --- I had forgotten about the method -- and the apple cider vinegar in the drinking water (I'd used a quality ACV like Bragg's). I have also applied Lavender Essential Oil to the coat - that has also worked in repelling fleas in the past. (04/14/2008)

By Lin

Using Vinegar for Fleas

Vinegar DOES work. My dog hates being sprayed with the vinegar/water mixture so I figure next time to just put it on a cloth and wipe her down and see how that works. Salt in the carpet also works. I discovered that years ago. My Dachshund sleeps with me and I HATE fleas in my bed! The Frontline and Biospot do NOT always work. Plus they are very expensive, especially with more than one dog. Also, the bigger the dog, the more expensive these chemicals are. Another way to get your money. I hate the thought of getting the chemicals on my skin. Just think...they absorb into your dog. What about on you? These chemicals are VERY toxic. Yes, a lot of dogs have had very serious reactions, sometimes even death, from these chemicals. Why chance it? Vinegar is easy to use and cheap. $3 or so for a gallon. (05/19/2008)

By Linda

Using Vinegar for Fleas

Diatomaceous Earth for your home and pet bedding. Put a paper mask on and use a puff bottle. Put it everywhere you suspect fleas might be. You can even dust it on your dogs and cats. Do not get it in your lungs or theirs. It doesn't hurt if they walk in it. It dries the fleas up and ruins their skeletal system. It works and it is organic.

I actually sprinkle it in their beds and I burn the bedding. Even more effective. If you can't burn, use some sort of garden tool and scoop it into plastic trash bags and dispose of them immediately. THIS WORKS and is very, very cheap. You will rid your living space of fleas, eggs and larvae. (06/20/2008)

By Patmowdy

Using Vinegar for Fleas

I do rescue and average about 8 dogs at my house at any given time. I do use Capstar which I buy online from a supplier. I also use Dawn dish soap as a shampoo. It works well and is much cheaper than your average doggie product. In between baths, I brush the dogs and spray a mixture of vinegar and water (not in their faces) This kills fleas, shines their coats, and helps with the doggie smell. Occasionally I do need to use some Frontline or Advantage. But that's only occasionally and only in the hot Georgia summer. (07/21/2008)

By Linda

August 12, 2004 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
Home and Garden Pest Control FleasFebruary 22, 2010
killing weeds
Planting After Killing Weeds With Vinegar
Apple Cider Vinegar With Apples and Cinnamon
Health Remedies Using Apple Cider Vinegar
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding
Vinegar Bottle
Removing Vinegar Smell from Carpet
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 19, 2016 at 7:59:32 AM on 10.0.0.68 in 882 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.