Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Using Vinegar for Fleas

I have heard that you can add apple cider vinegar to your pet's water to help with fleas, is this true?

By Lora from TX

By CCRydyr1309/19/2013

It acts like a purge for them I'm not sure if it really kills them.

By Michelle Bielovitz10/03/2010

Cynthia,
You should have tried it before you totally disregard the apple cider vinegar. Yes, I have tried it and yes, dogs will drink it. I just put a cap full in the water dish and fill the rest with water. I originally used it just to keep my animals healthy. I was told about this from a friend that has used the vinegar for her dogs and even her chickens. This is not a new discovery, farmers especially have been doing this for many years.

By Robyn Fed [388]02/23/2010

This is true, and if you go to earthclinic.com and look under the pets tab you can find it...let me see..here are a few starter links to begin your research:
http://earthclinic.com/Pets/fleas.html
http://www.earthclinic.com/Pets/fleas2.html

Some info I found....
Add a small amount of apple cider vinegar to your pet's drinking water. The appropriate ratio is 1 tsp. of vinegar to 1 qt. of water.

According to The Vinegar Institute, this ratio will work to keep a 40 lb. animal flea-free. Using white distilled vinegar instead of apple cider vinegar is acceptable, but your pet may enjoy the apple cider more than the distilled white.

Vinegar is an acidic substance, and when your pet ingests it, it will make his coat more acidic.....
http://www.ehow.com/how_5610627_rid-fleas-using-vinegar_borax.html

Notice that salt is less toxic than borax. I put it all over the house when I see a flea.
Also what I do for my dogs is that often, I will take a rag washed with a dove soap bar and rinsed out...and yet it still has enough water to wash their skin under the fur. It makes them feel like they have just had a bath and their coat is so soft.

The skin needs to be washed, it develops lot of dead cells over time...and it feels better to have their skin wiped down every so often...they love it. It also rids them of pollen and toxins off their coat.

The next day it is dry and I put adams flea spray on them in the "spots" I hold the fur up and spray under the hair.

I don't cover them completely. First, I do a circle around their ears, and then I do under their arms, up their spine where they cant lick at it and then on their tail at the base and around their collar.

I am going to have to thin out our chow shepherd's hair since it is so thick I cant even be sure the spray will get where it is supposed to go. I would put the salt all over the floors and under the sheets...fleas hate salt with a passion. And it is cheap.

Also, If you are going to bathe the animal and you want a tried and true way to kill fleas on them, use dawn and baby shampoo mixed with peroxide on them. Lather it and leave it about five to ten minutes. Then rinse two or three times. Have a special treat for after the bath.

If the dogs are on a supplement of fish oil pills, then they should be healthier...anything to help the skin on a dog and it's overall health will help with fleas.

Also the dosage for a dog for benadryl is one to two milliarams per body weight.

Food is an issue too, I like to feed Pedigree even though it is far from the perfect food. Whenever I have chicken I give it to them. If you look up on the internet which dog foods are the best you will find authority and pro plan are the best because meat is a first ingredient.

I cant afford the whole bag of it, but I buy it in the extra small bags and give it to them as treats.

Lots of things can help with fleas. There is tons of information on earthclinic.com just don't inhale the peroxide, that is the craziest remedy I have seen on there.

I am sad to say that Frontline is no longer working for me or a lot of people. The formula seems to be useless.

Blessings, Robyn

By Cyinda [214]02/23/2010

I've never heard of is & I doubt that any pet would like the taste of vinegar, which could lead to the pet drinking less water, & drinking less water can easily lead to kidney problems (especially in cats). Instead I would recommend you add nutritional yeast to your pets food. The fleas hate the smell produced from the B-vitamins in the yeast. I know that nutritional yeast helps with fleas in dogs, I don't know if nutritional yeast is good for cats & other pets, you'd have to do some research.

* I have found that the only sure-fire way to rid your pet of fleas is to use Revolution or Advantage once a month. You need to buy these products at a vet. Call around to find a vet that sells single-doses. A single dosage costs less than $15 per month & it really works. My vet said that the Revolution brand of (behind the neck) flea product also gets rid of Heart Worm, Tape Worm & Ticks along with fleas & the Advantage brand kills only fleas. Some vets (not all) requite a prescription for the Revolution brand, but I've found that it's much safer than Advantage (at least in my cat).

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Using Vinegar for Fleas

Can I get rid of fleas on my pets with vinegar?

Karen From Norwood, GA

RE: Using Vinegar for Fleas

I just did an experiment because I'm having flea troubles. I made a half mixture of vinegar and water in a large spray bottle. I put a flea in a bowl and sprayed it and nothing happened. I then added a few drops of Dawn to the mixture, I sprayed the flea, and a few seconds later it died. (11/16/2008)

By Amgar

RE: Using Vinegar for Fleas

I put a little eucalyptus on cotton balls and spread them out on my carpet before I vacuum. I wait about 15-20 minutes and then vacuum. My cats Zoe and Zada (a Himalyan, yes lots of hair) are flea-free and we live in Charleston, SC. I order the Eucalyptus Oil from any pharmacy. Four ounces cost about $8.00. (12/12/2008)

By Rhonda

Archive: Using Vinegar for Fleas

How do you apply vinegar to kill fleas on pets?

By Catherine from Middleburg, FL

RE: Using Vinegar for Fleas

I heard to put a bit of vinegar in the water bowl and you can also give them a rinse in vinegar water after you bath them. Hope this helps. (11/13/2009)

By mkm1enonly

RE: Using Vinegar for Fleas

I will not give my dogs vinegar water, that seems a bit harsh. I give them garlic pills everyday among other things. (12/02/2009)

By yessy1019