Remedies for Hives

I keep getting hives on my thighs, behind, and stomach; what triggers hives and how can I get rid of them?

By Sara from Ontario, Canada

Hives are an allergic reaction showing in the skin as opposed to sneezing, etc. You are allergic to something touching your general panty and thigh area. It could also be a reaction to a spider bite, but there should be a bite mark at the center.

Do you wear jeans with spandex in them? Or any pants with an elastic sort of product? Lots of people have a reaction.

Try changing detergents and double rinsing or using just a spoonful of detergent.

Hives are caused by allergies, either something you touch or something you eat. You need to find out what you are allergic to. You could go to a doctor and be tested, or you could try to find out what causes the hives by elimination. The first thing I would do is change my laundry detergent to one that is "free and clear" and also change my underwear to 100% cotton, and latex-free. If those don't work, then carefully monitor your diet, including over-the-counter medications and see if the hives appear after eating certain things. Good luck.

Yes, as the others have said, it's an allergic reaction. Once I got a bad reaction to something I ate; first my body got the hives, then my whole face swole up. Had to go to the ER for that one, and they gave me a steriod shot. I've also gotten hives from touching something to which I am sensitive (I rarely use chlorine bleach, because I'll swell up wherever my underwear comes tightly against my body).

But now my major concern is the cold. This started in my early 20s, and it took me a while to put the pieces together. I first noticed it when driving for a couple hours with a can of soda between my legs (before cup holders!). Part way through my drive I noticed the skin where the can was sitting was itchy. My exposed skin will have a reaction to cold -- it's worse when it's damp or windy. To me my skin will feel hot and itchy, and then it will swell into hives. I always have gloves and a scarf when it's cold (in addition to my coat). And I've read that folks like me have to be careful about swimming (possible anaphylactic shock due to the cold water).

If this is an on-going issue, you might want to talk to your doctor about it. I've used Benadryl for mild cases. But it's nice to know what is causing it, so you can avoid it in the future. If you have an active outbreak, you can also try a baking soda bath for a little relief.

Best of luck. I know that it's no fun. I hope you get to the bottom of this soon!

Thanks everyone for your posts. I have been using baby detergent, for sensitive skin, and I also switched to Goats milk body wash or I use summers eve feminine wash. I've noticed them slightly going away and are not itchy anymore since I've been using the goats milk. I've been for allergy tests before, one for cat allergy and dog allergy and they said I wasn't allergic to either. So I guess I can go back for more tests. It just really sucks having hives. Thanks again.

Check into candida over-growth. Most skin issues are a result of it.

There are many types of hives, from the little ones commonly called "heat rash" to the huge, dollar pancake sized ones commonly called "strawberry hives" due to their bright color. all are uncomfortable. all are the body's emergency attempt to expel what it perceives as toxins to the system.

If it is a contact allergen, a cool shower with no wash cloth/scrubber, just your hands, and some very mild soap spread gently over your body, will wash most of it away in one shower. be extra careful with the poison oak family (p. ivy, p. sumac, etc.) don't break any pustules as that will spread it, and when you dry off from the shower, be sure you have a way to keep that towel from the rest of the family as it can spread to them. after the shower, lots of medical cream helps, an anti-itch one (not all are anti-itch!)-and if it's really bad, a benadril pill if you can take one, some people can't. it can knock you out, though, so be careful.

If it is an ingested allergen, drink tons of water or a cleansing tea, not too hot, will help purge it-don't use exlax, that's too harsh. but drink all day long, as much as you can hold-yes, you'll have to go more at night, but not for long. and it will wash it out of your system relatively quickly-much faster than not flushing the body will.

There's no quick and easy way to get rid of the misery of hives, they spread through-out the body so usually take a while to clean out. these are the fastest ways I know how to clear them up.

However, if you have pets and they bring home chiggers!!! the bites are like hives. we went through that a couple summers ago and I thought I was going to be supporting part of the company that makes benadril for years. the only cure I could find for chiggers was to wait for winter to come!

I think you need to be tested by an allergist to see what is making you break out in hives. I am allergic to heat and scratches. The allergist put one hand in hot water and the other in ice water. The arm in the hot water broke out in hives. Also, she scratched on my back and I broke out in hives there. If I wear a necklace or anything similar that rubs on my body, I break out in hives.

Don't forget that with allergies, you usually reach a tolerance level before you have a symptom. If you can reduce the number of allergens you are allergic to, you may be able to remain under that level and you will not need to take allergy medication. Hives can cause death if they form inside your body. Please don't mess around with them.

Hives can be caused by an allergic reaction, stress, or any number of things as mentioned in the previous posts -- seeing a doctor is advisible.

My hives have been a little mysterious and reappear now and again for a month or two at a time. I find that taking over-the-counter antihistamines most helps relieve the itching and discomfort.

Good luck, gina

My daughter had a mild case of hives some years back. I took her to the Dr because I didn't know what she had. He diagnosed hives. I forgot what we did for it but probably was some sort of cream I put on her. The only thing I can figure is it was brought on by drinking some Mello Yellow pop. She'd never had before and she'd had some earlier that day. I've not given it to her since but I suppose I could have to see if that would trigger the hives. She's never had it again so that's all that matters. The Dr said it was an allergic reaction to something she ate/drank/or came in contact with.

I do recall that her hives went away very quickly so no further treatment was needed.

Thanks everyone for your replies, well first off I use baby detergent and I'm thinking if its because of that then I'd have hives all over from the detergent. I'm kinda thinking it could be the material of the pants I wear, seeing as most of the hives are where my pants rub, or it could be from stress, I have been stressed a lot lately and that's when they came like crazy. They are not itchy but are red, dry patchy type spots on my thighs mostly. So maybe I just need something to de-stress myself lol, but thanks again everyone. Take care.

Arm With Hives
Remedies for Hives
Health & Beauty Home RemediesDecember 6, 2009
Pregnant woman with morning sickness near bathroom sink
Morning Sickness Remedies
Young woman scratching her head furiously.
Dandruff Remedies
A girl sticking out her tongue.
Remedies for a Sore Tongue
Remedies for Cold Sores
Remedies for Cold Sores
🎄