Required Documentation For Bringing Dog Into USA

What documentation do I need to take my dog to the USA?

Thank you.

Walter from Ottawa

To bring an animal into Canada you have to have proof of current vet records showing current shots and rabies vaccination. We looked into it to go to Nova Scotia. We drove to Canada as American citizens. Had no problem getting into Canada but a terrible time getting back in the United States. To be sure you could call the Customs agents at the Border or probably look online. Our problem returning was that we got lost looking at the beautiful houses and architecture and we took a bridge to a remote customs station. I guess they thought we were trying to smuggle something into the US because we were in a remote area. My 10 year old son and I were detained in a holding area while my husband was questioned and they took the car apart -literally taking the seats out and the compartments apart. We were there for about 2 hours. We had been on vacation and had so much stuff and they went through it all. My husband was so furious. They of course found nothing and we were so mad. And yes this was way before 9/11. My advice is that if you drive to go to a major checkpoint. But call ahead and find out EXACTLY what you need. If you are flying with your dog, then the airlines should know or you could contact the Customs Department and find out what you need. I would think that the shots would be the same for both countries but I don't know for sure.

The official who governs the importation of animals is the State Vet, and your local vet will know how to contact them (you can call and ask the office for nothing). Each state has their own policies, but are all under Federal regulations too. The whole idea of course is to prevent bringing new diseases into this country from animals who may show no signs of disease at all. Good luck.

Your vet will give you a CERTIFICATE FOR INTERSTATE/PROVINCIAL TRAVEL for a minimal charge. It will show what shots your dog has been given but they may have to give a BORTATELLA (kennel cough) shot as well. I travel to B.C. from California a lot and that is all that is required.

Pets TravelSeptember 17, 2007
Child with Winning Volcano Science Experiment
Science Experiments for Kids
Social Security Paperwork
Preparing for a Social Security Hearing
A cat sitting outside in the woods.
Changing an Outdoor Cat into an Indoor Cat
Dog with Cat
Introducing a Dog to Resident Cats
🎄