Training AdviceDogs

Overly Friendly Pit Bull

I have a 7 month old pit bull that is over friendly! I'll be on my porch with him and the next minute he's running to someone and licking him/her to death. I really want to break him of this, the last thing I want is for a full grown male pit running after some kid trying to play (of course the kid wouldnt know he trying to play). He knows stay, come etc. The problem is getting him to listen without blowing me of!

Mikey

I have a 3 1/2 yo female pitbull mix. It is very important to get you dog into a training class ASAP. Pitbulls have a strong tendancy to "click on" with aggressive behavior at approx 18 months to 2 years. Our "Daisy" is the sweetest and most affectionate dog you can imagine. Even though I have no concerns about her behavior with people she is extremely aggressive with other dogs. The training we have had with her has allowed us to stop her verbally from going after other animals. Please help dispel the negative image of pitbulls by having your dog well trained.

It's dangerous to have any dog off leash without a fence etc. unless they are perfectly trained. They could run out in front of a car, or just take off. Personally I would never allow mine off leash at all. I just don't want to take a chance.

You are lucky to have a friendly pit bull. I have a 75 lb, 18 month old, female red nosed pit bull, and she is so loving to family and her friends, but to people she don't know, (there's even people she does know) watch out!!! She will go after them. She is very protective to me and her 3 cats. She has not been taught to "sick 'em" or "git 'em" If she does not like the looks of some people, she wants to go after them. She don't like people that drink. Some friends that i have had for 20 yrs. can't come in my house because of her. She is always on a lease when someone takes her out except when she plays frizbie. She even has a wild rabbit out in the yard that she likes to check on, but she won't chase it. She don't like other dogs except my 2 other part red nosed males in the back yard and my mom's 12lb shih-tzu. She is well-mannered at times and she is a pain in the rear-end, but I love her (don't tell my sons or my husband that). I didn't want her but my husband got her for me when she was 6-wks old..(according to my husband, she won't get big)...a 75lb dog in the house...yeah right!!!

If he is "blowing you off" he isn't respecting you. You need to get him into a training class with a professional trainer that will teach you how to train your dog. I had a Chinese Shar Pei that had been abused and had fear aggression. We took him to our local K9 College and he loved it. He got all excited on his way to "work" and he looked forward to his evening "work" sessions.

I have a 10 month old pure Blue Pit Bull, and he is the same way, except he doesnt run off, he just likes ALL people. I am honestly most worried that someone will steal him. He is well trained and has been in several shows, I just wish I could get him to be more selective in the people he approaches, like when we are walking him etc, because he tends to scare people until they get to know him.